X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1963
    • Mar 2018

When the M1 arrives

Guys, this is my 1st M1 order (RM1Service). I have been reading here for the last 2 weeks and there is so much great information to take in. What are the absolute things to do and check when I get the rifle, excluding field stripping, cleaning/greasing before I shoot it? I have seen posts about checking the gas piston and so forth which needs a specific tool and troubleshooting feeding problems and short recoil.

Given the age of the rifle, I don’t want to screw something up from the get go. Will the CMP knock most of the old cosmoline off and give it a good cleaning before I get it?

I’m no stranger to weapons, I served in the Marines years ago, shooting all my life, but I am not an armorer or gunsmith.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • MixedBreed
    • Feb 2014

Give it a good inspection, lube it up, and go shoot it.

Comment

• Orlando
      • Oct 2009

Need to Field Strip the rifle, clean and properly grease it. No need to gage any parts unless you have issues with function.
      In addition to the above I always replace the op rod spring either from Orion 7 or Garand Gear
      "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Comment

• Camel24hrs
        • Feb 2016

Plenty of videos of how to take down a garand. Midway has a really good one. Dont have to take down the sights and if trigger group is okay dont have to worry about that either. Just put drop of oil on the pins and grease everything that slide and rotates.

About the only thing requiring special tools if disassembly of the bolt and you should not have to do that.

Have fun !!!

Comment

• cea1
          • Jan 2018

You asked absolute things you must do before shooting the M1 from CMP and above responses are great. You don't absolutely need to detail strip the entire rifle when you get it, but you really should. The M1 service grade I received most recently, while I am quite pleased with it, had sand/pebbles in the trigger group and needed a good thorough cleaning and lube. Rear sight was full of dirt, needed a cleaning and lube. Inside of bolt fairly dirty also. Entire rifle was dry as a bone. Detail strip is relatively easy - visual instructions online at CMP site, Midway or GarandGear site.

Comment

• Fogtripper
            • Oct 2009

Personally I would detail strip completely, inspect, clean and lubricate.

Comment

• kourt
              • Dec 2017

I bought three Service Grades this year.

All three were superficially clean, but once I took them apart I could see that they all needed their barrels cleaned thoroughly, and all three had dirt accumulation in the rear sights and under the clip latches.

My trigger groups were fine.

My advice: spend an afternoon with the video sources mentioned above and clean your receiver group, barrel, and trigger groups. I found it easiest to clean the barrel last, after reassembling everything into the stock. You need to be able to brace the rifle on the ground or gently in a vise, so cleaning the barrel with a fully assembled rifle is helpful.

kourt

Comment

• yoteman
                • Jul 2012

I always pull them completely apart and clean everything up real nice, lubricate and reassemble. I have helped plenty of guys do this and they all look a little worried when you get down to just have a barreled receiver and a pile of parts. I then have them put it back together as I give them pointers along the way. If you know someone that has one invite them over to your place.

I have received and helped with rifles that other guys have received that there has been so much cosmoline on them there is no way they ever would have fired. I am pretty sure the CMP does not test fire every rifle that it ships out.

You learn a lot about the rifles taking them apart and putting them back together. Plenty of good videos out there to help.

Comment

• Det. Jason 714
                  • Oct 2009

I agree with the previous posters. Do a complete field strip and lube. If you ever had to disassemble and clean say. an M-60 in the Marines, the garand is way easier than that. Also as Orlando stated, you will save yourself a potential head ache by just going ahead and replace the Op rod spring.
                  "Let Freedom PING!"

Comment

• moose
                    • Feb 2012

Big thing is to make sure it is clean and lubed and then check the springs. As the years go by it seems like the CMP does a bit better at getting the cosmoline off.

Operating rod spring should be at least 19 inches long with no kinks. Max is 20.25 inches.
                    Lube it up with grease.
                    Swab the barrel a bit. CMP test fires them but I don't think it gets cleaned afterwards.
                    Just double check things. Sometimes the CMP misses something. They always make it right if you email them though.

Myself I am a trigger snob and always swap in a TUBB hammer spring (man I wish the dude made OP rod springs like he does for the M14. His CS springs are unbeatable)
                    US Nylon Field gear 1967 to 2005
                    http://inrd.gotdns.com/alice

Comment

• sikacz
                      • Mar 2018

Are y'all recommending a field strip or a detailed strip?

Comment

• yoteman
                        • Jul 2012

Personally, I like tearing them all the way down. That way you know for sure where you are at.

Comment

• Jeff1963
                          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by yoteman View Post
                          Personally, I like tearing them all the way down. That way you know for sure where you are at.

To all, I really appreciate the responses and feedback.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• howardhuge
                            • Dec 2009

I Always Detail clean and inspect/lube test fire then replace ALL springs. It may have 2K rounds on them...ya never know..its cheap insurance and kits are inexpensive. Now, with regards to the M 60 detail strip noted above.... THAT is a TOTAL PITA.

Comment

• moose
                              • Feb 2012

I like a detail strip every part apart strip except the barrel and receiver.

I did mine and found some red powdery stuff of some sort under the top of the handguards. Not sure it was rust or what. Barrel was fine.

The rear sight pocket is another spot crud likes to hide.
                              US Nylon Field gear 1967 to 2005
                              http://inrd.gotdns.com/alice

Comment

Working...
                              X