When M1's were shot at 1000 yds..what bullet wt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milprileb
    • Oct 2009

When M1's were shot at 1000 yds..what bullet wt?

I am assuming they used the 173 gr bullet for 1000 yds and today a 175 grain would be okay? Did they use a Shuster gas plug or the issue one ? I ask this because I am now planning on taking a Garand beyond 600 yds and push to 800 and then 1000 yds . Unfortunately, there is no one (alive) around here that has done it and shows up at our club range days.

Thanks in advance.
  • Det. Jason 714
    • Oct 2009

I seem to remember reading it was the 173's, I do not remember anything about adjustable plugs though. I know a guy who shot comp in the chair force, I'll see if he remembers.
    "Let Freedom PING!"

Comment

• echo6mike
      • Mar 2014

Don't know about the details, but I'm betting they used the standard gas plugs. Based on my Dad talking about qualifying at 1000 yards in basic training (Army, 1952) - I can't even imagine they'd be teaching recruits on anything other than bog-standard rifles with whatever issue ammo was in stock at the time.

For competition, I have no idea, but am curious to find out as I'd love to try some 100-yard shooting eventually with my own Garand.

s/f
      Andy M
      NRA, MSRPA, MSI, SAF
      Former USMCR, still a Jarhead

Comment

• milprileb
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by echo6mike View Post
        Don't know about the details, but I'm betting they used the standard gas plugs. Based on my Dad talking about qualifying at 1000 yards in basic training (Army, 1952) - I can't even imagine they'd be teaching recruits on anything other than bog-standard rifles with whatever issue ammo was in stock at the time.

For competition, I have no idea, but am curious to find out as I'd love to try some 100-yard shooting eventually with my own Garand.s/f
        Well, if you live in MD... Quantico is just a short trip and I plan to do this 1000 yd shooting so stay in touch, we shoot on weekends . The ideal day is when we do a Sunday 800 / 1000 yard day. This would require you have your 600 yd dope but heck, we can swag it and get you on paper at 800 the finalize the sight settings..then press to 1000 and do the same. Just let me know if interested, I'll sponsor you to shoot with our club and as RSO, I am allowed a guest.

Comment

• JoeW2111
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by milprileb View Post
          I am assuming they used the 173 gr bullet for 1000 yds and today a 175 grain would be okay? Did they use a Shuster gas plug or the issue one ? I ask this because I am now planning on taking a Garand beyond 600 yds and push to 800 and then 1000 yds . Unfortunately, there is no one (alive) around here that has done it and shows up at our club range days.

Thanks in advance.
          Prior to 1958 rifles used in National Match competition had to be "service rifle as issued". No specially manufactured parts. Things like Shuster gas screw was not available and would not have been allowed if available. For the 1957 shooting season and the 1957 National Matches the T-291 cartridge was being used and made by both Lake City and Frankford Arsenals. The ammunition used in the 1957 National Matches was all Frankford Arsenal manufacture, Lot FA-11. It was loaded with a boat-tailed bullet weighing about 173 grains, in front of 47.8 grains of IMR 4895, and a Remington # 72 Primer. Muzzle velocity runs about 2700 fps, and pressure about 44,000 lbs psi. The ranges fired in NM compitition with this ammo were 200, 300, 600 and 1000 yds

The above information is quoted from bulletin by "Headquarters, 1957 National Matches, Ordnance Office, dated 7 Aug. 1957. "Details on the .30 Match Ammunition".

Comment

• karls42
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by JoeW2111 View Post
            Prior to 1958 rifles used in National Match competition had to be "service rifle as issued". No specially manufactured parts. Things like Shuster gas screw was not available and would not have been allowed if available. For the 1957 shooting season and the 1957 National Matches the T-291 cartridge was being used and made by both Lake City and Frankford Arsenals. The ammunition used in the 1957 National Matches was all Frankford Arsenal manufacture, Lot FA-11. It was loaded with a boat-tailed bullet weighing about 173 grains, in front of 47.8 grains of IMR 4895, and a Remington # 72 Primer. Muzzle velocity runs about 2700 fps, and pressure about 44,000 lbs psi. The ranges fired in NM compitition with this ammo were 200, 300, 600 and 1000 yds

The above information is quoted from bulletin by "Headquarters, 1957 National Matches, Ordnance Office, dated 7 Aug. 1957. "Details on the .30 Match Ammunition".
            Exactly my experience when I shot on U.S.M.C. teams in the 1960's, except the rifles had the allowable NM parts and tuning
            Distinguished Rifleman 1966

Comment

• lite-box
              • Oct 2009

M72 173 gr, Later if you handloaded Sierra 180 SMK's.

Comment

• Blimp60
                • Apr 2011

I have only shot 1000 yards one time. I used 168 gr Nosler CC BTHP over 46.5 gr of Varget and CCI 34 primers in HXP brass. Bullets were still supersonic and stable when they hit the target. I was using a Garandgear plug, but I don't think that I needed it.
                “If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” - Winston Churchill

Comment

• JoeW2111
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by karls42 View Post
                  Exactly my experience when I shot on U.S.M.C. teams in the 1960's, except the rifles had the allowable NM parts and tuning
                  Yes, between 1960 & 1963 a number of modifications were allowed.

Semper Fi

Comment

• M1 sniper
                    • Jul 2015

What size are the targets at 1000 yards and what's the typical accuracy? Are you just lobbing them out there for volly type fire or are there groups?

Comment

• milprileb
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by M1 sniper View Post
                      What size are the targets at 1000 yards and what's the typical accuracy? Are you just lobbing them out there for volly type fire or are there groups?
                      I sure won't be doing volley fire but I will report my accuracy once I shoot 1000 yds here at Quantico. Perhaps others who used to shoot M1's at this distance can comment on their accuracy (group size). Score rings are large so for me, a score doesn't tell me accuracy of rifle & load but of course scores win matches so its all opinion .

Comment

• Ted Brown
                        • Nov 2012

I'm one of the old guys who actually shot 1000 Yards with an AFPG M1 on the El Paso Del Norte range back in the early 60's. I'll attest that the M1 shot very well at 1000 Yards and I still have the medal to prove it. We shot M72 ammo, LC63. I still have a couple of rounds.

Comment

• milprileb
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Ted Brown View Post
                          I'm one of the old guys who actually shot 1000 Yards with an AFPG M1 on the El Paso Del Norte range back in the early 60's. I'll attest that the M1 shot very well at 1000 Yards and I still have the medal to prove it. We shot M72 ammo, LC63. I still have a couple of rounds.
                          I've had this desire to do the Garand at a Grand for 10 yrs now, I am now going to kick this can and get it done. Its good to read you had success at 1000 yds and I appreciate your posting that .

Comment

• echo6mike
                            • Mar 2014

So, I did some searching and found almost this same discussion from a few years back (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=57812), that answered a couple of questions but raised some more.

It sounds like Hornady, for one, makes an M1-safe 168gr match ammo that could be used at least for club events (haven't dug into the CMP match regs). Is there a consensus on that as a good round to use? Looks like it runs about $1.25-$1.30/rd these days, which isn't bad.

How about targets? I assume those are specified in the rule I just haven't read yet, but for me I also want to find something I can use on a 100-yard range (all I normally have available) for simulating 200/300/600 yards. Any suggestions for that?

And yes, I'll go search the old threads some more, but since this is a fresh discussion...

Thanks in advance and all that!
                            Andy M
                            NRA, MSRPA, MSI, SAF
                            Former USMCR, still a Jarhead

Comment

• sakorick
                              • Dec 2009

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade but with a 10 MPH Xwind, the bullet drifts slightly over 10 feet in 1000 yards. I don't think there are enough clicks in a M1 Garand rear sight to move the POI 10 feet at that range. So essentially we are talking about luck here. The bullet also drops about 415 inches which is 34 feet. I rest my case.

Comment

Working...
                              X