X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nmCollector
    • Dec 2009

Need Android Beta Testers!

We will soon have a working Android version of NM Collector CP that we need beta testers for!

If you want to help, please notify us through our support portal and we will get you setup! We will provide more information to beta testers when the app is ready - probably early next week.

Thanks in advance!

Clay
    Clay Pryor
    nmCollector.net LLC
  • nmCollector
    • Dec 2009

Beta available on diawi.com

Thans to all of you who volunteered to be beta testers. I sent you a link to the installation on diawi.com which is outside of the Playstore so it requires you to make some changes in your settings. If you do not want to run it from there I am going to setup a beta program through the Playstore next. I will post when that is available.

Thanks!
    Clay Pryor
    nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• Stingray
      • Dec 2009

Hi Clay!
      I side-loaded the apk on my Pixel 3XL running Android 12 (stock rom, not rooted).

Didn't have too much time to play with it yet before work but I am liking this app so far. It's much easier to read and navigate vs the old app! I did find a few issues noted below.

Anywhere there is a text and value fields, after entering text the check mark to the right doesn't seem to do anything (except in the Des tab). Entered text seems to be saved anyway whether you try to select the check mark or not.

In the Des tab, after entering text in Notes or Condition Comments, selecting the check mark crashes the app (but the text is still saved).

In the Dat tab, the data sheet doesn't fit the whole screen, uses only maybe 1/4 of the screen.

Go to the Rel tab of your 0 Savage item, edit 1 of the 'How Related' lines, then press to the right of the check mark in the open space, the app suddenly takes you to the related item you were trying to edit.
      Similar to that, go to the Lin tab of 0 Savage, edit a link description and press in the same spot to the right and the link opens. On 1 occasion I actually had the entire Link get deleted instead of saved.

On the ID tab, hitting X to delete any entry crashes the app.

In the Edit DDL Page. The X and e (I'm assuming that's what they are supposed to be) boxes are just 1 empty grey rectangle. When adding a value, after pressing the grey box, your entered value disappears but will return after leaving and returning to the Edit DDL Page

Edit Collections Page has a Templ button.

The top bar with Hom ID Dec Pic Rec etc initially seemed a bit messy/cluttered. Maybe alternate the shading behind those buttons or a double row?

I did not try messing with pictures yet but I think this is a good start!

Comment

• nmCollector
        • Dec 2009

Thank you for the feedback. I must say I did not expect any crashes but I guess I should not be surprised given the huge variety of Android devices out there. Needless to say there are no crashes on the Android phone I used for testing. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge + running Android 7.0.

I will get a lot more information, including crash reports, when I get this setup for Beta testing on Google Play.

Thanks again,
        Last edited by nmCollector; 01-18-2022, 02:56 PM.
        Clay Pryor
        nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• nmCollector
          • Dec 2009

Android Testing Update

It has been over 10 years since I deployed Android Apps and I must say things are much better now! Google is actually running tests on a variety of Android devices for me and they have detected some crashes on some of the devices.

I would suggest all volunteers hold off on testing until I get through the Google tests. For that reason, I am disabling the Diawi deployment now and will work with any volunteers to get setup on Google when I pass all of the google tests.

Thanks again!
          Last edited by nmCollector; 01-18-2022, 03:45 PM.
          Clay Pryor
          nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• nmCollector
            • Dec 2009

Thanks for suggestions

Thanks again for your feedback! I need to put together some documentation and known issues ... for now I'll address all of your findings here.

Originally posted by Stingray View Post
            Anywhere there is a text and value fields, after entering text the check mark to the right doesn't seem to do anything (except in the Des tab). Entered text seems to be saved anyway whether you try to select the check mark or not.
            The check box should hide the keyboard.

In the Des tab, after entering text in Notes or Condition Comments, selecting the check mark crashes the app (but the text is still saved).
            Fixed!

In the Dat tab, the data sheet doesn't fit the whole screen, uses only maybe 1/4 of the screen.
            Known issue: Currently the keyboard hides the bottom of the content. For now the workaround is to prevent the overlay by reducing the extent of the Data Sheet. I need to work this issue to only resize the data sheet when the keyboard is displayed.

Go to the Rel tab of your 0 Savage item, edit 1 of the 'How Related' lines, then press to the right of the check mark in the open space, the app suddenly takes you to the related item you were trying to edit.
            Similar to that, go to the Lin tab of 0 Savage, edit a link description and press in the same spot to the right and the link opens. On 1 occasion I actually had the entire Link get deleted instead of saved.
            The intended function is to go to the related item if you click in an uneditable portion of the row for that item. Hopefully it works better now.

On the ID tab, hitting X to delete any entry crashes the app.
            Fixed!

In the Edit DDL Page. The X and e (I'm assuming that's what they are supposed to be) boxes are just 1 empty grey rectangle. When adding a value, after pressing the grey box, your entered value disappears but will return after leaving and returning to the Edit DDL Page
            This is a delete button that was missing the label. However, if you delete an value that is actually used for any items in that collection the value is automatically added back. To clear the value every usage must be cleared first. The are other alternatives, but I think this approach keeps the dropdowns consistent with previously selected values.

Edit Collections Page has a Templ button.
            Yes, this opens the Template editor for the selected collection. I renamed it to Tmpl to save space.

The top bar with Hom ID Dec Pic Rec etc initially seemed a bit messy/cluttered. Maybe alternate the shading behind those buttons or a double row?
            I tried alternating the shading of the tabs. Looks kind of strange to me but it does make the separation between tabs clearer.

Clay Pryor
            nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• Stingray
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by nmCollector View Post
              Similar to that, go to the Lin tab of 0 Savage, edit a link description and press in the same spot to the right and the link opens.
              The intended function is to go to the related item if you click in an uneditable portion of the row for that item. Hopefully it works better now.
              BTW, this also happens in the Lin tab. But what I'm doing is edit the How Related or Description lines, then aim to press the check mark but miss slightly to the right and it will take me to the related item or open the related link which I would consider unintended (fwiw, using the play store version now 1.0.0). Anywhere else above those lines I can see taking me to the links.

Also on the Rel and Lin tabs and any other comments/notes sections, the X and check mark buttons overlap the text and it's very hard to see them. Can also accidentally hit the X (delete) when trying to edit or select the text in the area of the X button.

I can verify the 2 crashes are fixed on my phone.

Comment

• nmCollector
                • Dec 2009

Also on the Rel and Lin tabs and any other comments/notes sections, the X and check mark buttons overlap the text and it's very hard to see them. Can also accidentally hit the X (delete) when trying to edit or select the text in the area of the X button.
                I think I will dump the check and x marks within edit fields.

Thanks
                Clay Pryor
                nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• nmCollector
                  • Dec 2009

Latest release is 0.3.0

I went ahead and removed the check and clear buttons from most editable fields. I also changed the versioning - it will eventually be 1.0.0 but for now we are not there yet. The latest release should be rolling out on the playstore now. Once it is available the About page should show version 0.3.0.

Thanks again! I appreciate the help!
                  Clay Pryor
                  nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• Stingray
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by nmCollector View Post
                    I think I will dump the check and x marks within edit fields.

Thanks
                    I think it's better now without those 2 buttons.

Comment

• nmCollector
                      • Dec 2009

I think it's better now without those 2 buttons.
                      Agreed! Thanks again.
                      Clay Pryor
                      nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• nmCollector
                        • Dec 2009

I have several beta testers. Has anybody else run into any issues? I would like to move forward with making it available on Google Play but would like as much feedback as possible before requesting their review and approval to go live.

Thanks!

Clay
                        Clay Pryor
                        nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• Stingray
                          • Dec 2009

I have a question regarding the Edit DDL Pages. Is hitting the enter key on the keyboard the required way to save new values?

Working with your default Firearm Custom Tags 0-4, lets say I want to add a 5 to the list. After selecting Add Value I replace the 'Enter New Value' with my 5 and hit Close. That 5 does not show up in the DDL unless I reenter the Edit DDL Page or navigate away from the ID tab and back. Then the 5 shows in the DDL. Now if I hit enter on the keyboard after entering the 5 it immediately shows in the DDL.

Something a little weirder but similar to above. Say I want to add a 5, 6 and 7 at the same time to that DDL. Using this method...
                          hit Add value > input 5, add value > input 6, add value > input 7, then close
                          That 5 is not saved but the 6 & 7 are there, navigating away and back the 5 is still missing. (if I do 5 though 9, the 5 and 7 are not saved)

Now what does work is...
                          hit Add value > input 5 > enter (on the keyboard), add value > input 6 > enter, add value > input 7 > enter, then close
                          That will save 5 though 7 correctly. I don't remember anywhere else in the app the enter key being required for saving a value or text, I didn't think it would be needed here either?

Feature request - in the Edit DDL Page still, would it be possible to have the 'Enter New Value' text disappear when selecting that line instead of having to delete those characters before you can enter your value?

Comment

• nmCollector
                            • Dec 2009

I have a question regarding the Edit DDL Pages. Is hitting the enter key on the keyboard the required way to save new values?

Working with your default Firearm Custom Tags 0-4, lets say I want to add a 5 to the list. After selecting Add Value I replace the 'Enter New Value' with my 5 and hit Close. That 5 does not show up in the DDL unless I reenter the Edit DDL Page or navigate away from the ID tab and back. Then the 5 shows in the DDL. Now if I hit enter on the keyboard after entering the 5 it immediately shows in the DDL.

Something a little weirder but similar to above. Say I want to add a 5, 6 and 7 at the same time to that DDL. Using this method...
                            That 5 is not saved but the 6 & 7 are there, navigating away and back the 5 is still missing. (if I do 5 though 9, the 5 and 7 are not saved)

Now what does work is...That will save 5 though 7 correctly. I don't remember anywhere else in the app the enter key being required for saving a value or text, I didn't think it would be needed here either?

Feature request - in the Edit DDL Page still, would it be possible to have the 'Enter New Value' text disappear when selecting that line instead of having to delete those characters before you can enter your value?
                            I will work on this today. This is one example of where I was actually using the check "button" and the x "button." I used the x to clear the 'Enter New Value' text and the check to record the change. I might add the x back for this field only and then figure out why the changes are not recording without the check mark. I agree it needs to be consistent with the other fields in the program.

Thanks again for the excellent feedback.

Clay Pryor
                            nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

• nmCollector
                              • Dec 2009

I just put out a new test release (version 0.3.1) that seems to be working better for adding values to the drop down list. As a reminder, here is the url to download it from th playstore:
                              https://play.google.com/apps/interna...62939108809903
                              Clay Pryor
                              nmCollector.net LLC

Comment

Working...
                              X