CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP Bolt Action Rifles (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Springfield NRA Sporter Ammo (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178432)

vern21 11-18-2015 07:17 PM

Springfield NRA Sporter Ammo

Looking for an ammo choice for my Springfield NRA Sporter. I have some standard M2 Ball (Greek, Dane, US) and USGI NM ammo. Thanks.

Jim

S99VG 11-18-2015 08:39 PM

The NRA Sporter should be able to digest just about anything. They are not low number guns so go to a sporting goods store, pick something up and give it a try. Remington 150-grain Coreloks or Winchester Silvertips would be where I'd start. There is no reason to stay with milsurp ammo with this rifle.

Jpm 11-18-2015 09:37 PM

start with the M2 to get it sighted in and a feel for it, then move to the good stuff

rcolarco 11-20-2015 10:51 AM

A real NRA sporter should have a pretty good barrel, and thus some real accuracy potential. While the rifle will shoot any .30-06 ammunition, to get the most from it you should feed it the best ammunition you can find or reload. If you are going to buy ammunition, I recommend Federal Gold Medal Match, or hunting ammunition loaded with Nosler or Barnes bullets. These have given good results for me. But match handloads are the way to go unless you are made of money, or only shoot 20 rounds a year.

lite-box 11-21-2015 02:38 PM

My NRA Sporter with original bolt will not chamber M72. Bullets need to be seated about .020 deeper.

M1 Ball I've tried chambers fine.

S99VG 11-21-2015 04:52 PM

If you reload try Sierra's 150 grain soft points. Sierra makes a very consistent bullet, weight wise. If you use military brass keep in mind that it is thicker than commercial brass which pushes pressures up for any given load. This means don't ever load military brass to the max. Besides, barn burning velocities never really give you the best accuracy. Best of luck.

ceresco 11-21-2015 07:40 PM

Military 30-06 brass is not thicker or heavier than commercial brass nor is either of those "one" item. Most commercial 30-06 brass is in the same weight range as most military brass and M2 level loadings are rarely anywhere near maximum so case weights don't matter much anyway. This is an old fallacy that has it's roots in the real consideration of .308win/7.62 case weights and the effect on pressure in a cartridge that is very different than the 30-06. Simply weighing cases will answer any questions regarding 30-06 case weights. Good Shooting. ....

S99VG 11-21-2015 08:10 PM

Oh well, just going with what I've heard and stuck by for years. You might want to look into this for yourself before trying. Never any harm in caution.

ww2farmer 11-27-2015 06:50 PM

To the OP, FWIW, my father also has a Springfield NRA sporter (exact details escape me at the moment) but I do remember for off the self regular, nothing fancy,commercial ammo, it liked Remington Core-Lokt 150gr PSP. Neither of us reload, and found that ammo to be the best balance of price and performance, especially when it's on sale at the local box stores. It's not match ammo, nor is it surplus plinking fodder, but it's capable of better accuracy than either of us idiots (my father and I LOL) are.