CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Forum Webmaster (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Stock cleaning/refinishing/identification (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=680)

mike9905 10-29-2009 03:02 PM

Stock cleaning/refinishing/identification

I asked Orest, he said ask you. What about a thread devoted to cleaning and refinishing stocks? Also features to look for matching a stock to the proper mfg & date? There is info all over this forum about stocks but just try to find it when you have a question.

GhostInTheMachine 10-29-2009 04:05 PM

Interesting... Thread or a dedicated forum?

Anyone else feel the same way?

I dont have a problem creating one, if the need is there.

SEANinMICH 10-29-2009 04:22 PM

cleaning and refinishing can easily be discussed in a thread or two. no need for a dedicated forum.

as far as stock ID goes, the need may exist, but finding credible sources and being able to easily organize the information so it would actually be useful would be all but impossible. That sounds more another website, not a forum.

KRAG-30-40 10-29-2009 05:04 PM

There can be too many forums on a sight.I know some sights with myriad forums dividing subject matter up too finely have sections that receive very few posts.Sometimes the posts will be days or weeks or in some cases months apart with posters dragging up year old threads to ask something.Perhaps a better category would be a repair and restoration section.

mike9905 10-29-2009 08:54 PM

"Repair and Restoration" would cover what I had in mind. Sean, feedback?

SEANinMICH 10-29-2009 09:10 PM

Mike,

I'm all for it. My only concern would be the overall execution.

If guys will take the time to document their projects and make good posts with before and after pics of repairs, refurbs, etc that would be great!

As far as stock IDs go, I think in order for it to be effective and educational responders really need to offer more than a "fake" or "real". It's time to start helping educate some of the folks on how to ID and SHOW them what the differences are.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. TEACH a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

GhostInTheMachine 10-29-2009 09:29 PM

Would this not fit in the "How To" ?

SEANinMICH 10-29-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostInTheMachine (Post 4603)
Would this not fit in the "How To" ?

refinishing and repairs could. maybe a subcategory for furniture?

I don't think stock identification does. I guess it could stay in the garand/carbine forum. assuming enough solid data and knowledge could be gathered, it would be nice to have it organized in one safe place, though.

GhostInTheMachine 10-29-2009 09:57 PM

If it was well organized in a thread, I could always "sticky" it.

KRAG-30-40 10-29-2009 10:49 PM

I have noticed some forums have a "Knowledgebase"section that is a locked section for putting validated information in,no posting or argueing back and forth.Sort of a section for "stickies".