CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP North Store (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   CMP Special Grade M1 Garand (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=56047)

wvman 10-04-2011 11:57 AM

CMP Special Grade M1 Garand

My son has been saving up for a CMP Special Grade M1 Garand. I have everything in order to purchase. Was thinking about taking the 5 hour drive to the North Store on 10/8/11.
Are the Special Grades normally in stock?

StraightArrow55 10-04-2011 12:19 PM

I've never actually been to the stores but I've heard from other members that the special grades are usually available. You can call the North Store to ask too, a day before you go.

wvman 10-04-2011 12:22 PM

That is my plan, to call before I go. He is a shooter and knows what he wants to buy. I am planning on calling tomorrow, but also calling again on Friday before I head out.

Todd64 10-04-2011 03:02 PM

Unless there's been a run on them, there should be about a rack full to chose from. Both CMP Special, as well as the Service Grade Special. That's what I say when I was there at the end of August. Check my other posting for photos of the store at that time. I think I caught all the racks you're interested in.

BobN54 10-04-2011 06:49 PM

You should not have any trouble finding a CMP Special, Service Grade Special, or Correct Grade in stock. Consider gifting you son a hundred bucks so he can upgrade to a Correct Grade, which will have a USGI stock, before they go up in price.

Todd64 10-04-2011 08:11 PM

I bit the bullet (no pun intended) and forked over the extra cash for the correct grade. I don't regret that decision at all. There should be a full rack each of SA and HRA to choose from. Mid 5.xM serial numbers and above. One is as beautiful as the next. I had 3 up at the counter, trying to pick which one I would adopt. Very hard decision.

If you've got the extra cash to move up a notch, you get 100% authentic everything. I'm still a rookie, but that made the most sense to me.

I read in another post that Collector Grades are gone, and the next batch to sell will be less than 100 in quantity (the post in in Ask Orest). My guess is, they'll have the price increase baked in when they become available. That basically makes Corrects about the best available, potentially forever (but you never know, right?).

Good Hunting!

bob moore 10-04-2011 09:27 PM

Bolt gun frenzy should be calmed down by the 8th.

wvman 10-05-2011 06:36 AM

Guys, I really appreciate all of the info. My son and I do a lot of shooting and collecting, but the Garand is his "dream" gun. He has been saving up for quite sometime. I made him a promise that if he saved the money, I would drive him to one of the stores and let him hand pick. I have not even told him we are going yet. I plan on telling him this evening. I think I will give them a call today just to make sure and maybe even call again on Friday. I would hate to build him up and get there to nothing.

chrisdx3 10-05-2011 05:11 PM

They had a rack full of them today

OKC_Jim 10-05-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wvman (Post 434937)
I plan on telling him this evening.

If you feel like sharing, I'd love to hear his reaction to the news.