CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Non FMJ ammo for Garand (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=223374)

Poindexterg 02-11-2018 08:50 AM

Non FMJ ammo for Garand

Closest gun range to me does not allow FMJ on the rifle range. So what ammo can anyone recommend me that's not FMJ that's Garand friendly? Assume I do not have a fancy gas plug.

I tried this question on Reddit and got no help. I do not need posts telling me I am misunderstanding the ranges rules. It's on their website, people have complained about it on yelp, I called the range and point blank asked them. They don't allow FMJ on the rifle range. I don't need to be told to use a magnet, that doesn't answer my question. I don't need recommendations for ranges four hours away. I don't mean to sound rude here, but Reddit only gave me those responses, and it's not helpful.

If the answer is that I have to get a gas plug, then maybe that's what I have to do. I kinda wanted to get it sighted in with the s&b ammo I bought from the cmp before I started working with adjusting a gas plug. I just didn't want to adjust both at the same time.

Lt. Thompson 02-11-2018 09:32 AM

Honestly I think you might have to get a gas plug; Schusters and Garand Gear make them.

That or if you reload, start reloading.

What type of range is this? Indoor? Outdoor? Do the people there think FMJ = AP?

tinplater611 02-11-2018 09:42 AM

Did the range say what type they do allow? Maybe you could use PPU 150gr SP ammo.

One local range allows rifle (.223, .308, 7.62x39) but only with frangible ammo. Another range allows up to .308 caliber rifle FMJ, etc as long as it is not steel case or magnetic jacket.

Poindexterg 02-11-2018 10:11 AM

This is three different ranges nearby me. They are all outdoor, I havenít found a local indoor rifle range. They all ban FMJ. Thereís a private range I can go to with a friend, but itís a very long wait list for membership, so itís not an option that I can just go to anytime.

I saw several manufacturers making sp 150 grain. I was just not absolutely sure if that was good for the Garand. I may just go to the private range with my friend and get it sighted in good there, and buy the gas plug and get some other Ammo later. But I want to shoot what Iíve got for right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkk41 02-11-2018 10:28 AM

I ran lots of Remington and Federal 150-165gr PSP 30-06 thru my Garands back before I could readily find GI ammo. This was back when a 20rd box was $4.99-5.99 during pre-deer season sales.

Poindexterg 02-11-2018 10:33 AM

Someone on Reddit recommended the s&b 150 spce. (I finally got a useful comment there). GarandGear says that it has a lower pressure than m2 ball. I may take a look at the other brands as well.

colt100 02-11-2018 01:00 PM

Here's a good read with port pressure tests with many commerically available ammo. I'd recommend a plug just to be on the safe side or maybe getting into reloading but this should be what you are looking for.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Poindexterg 02-11-2018 10:09 PM

I very likely will end up with a gas plug, I'm leaning towards the Schuster. The GarandGear seems to just give you a little more wiggle room, the shutter lets you just run whatever. And I like putting the bayonet on it at times. So I'll shoot my FMJ at the private range when I can go there, and buy some other stuff for the others.

steelap 02-13-2018 12:16 PM

Creedmoor Sports sells Open Tip Boat Tail 30-06 ammo for the Garand that is setting the standard for match ammo.

Go to their site and check it out.

Lt. Thompson 02-13-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poindexterg (Post 1684605)
I very likely will end up with a gas plug, I'm leaning towards the Schuster. The GarandGear seems to just give you a little more wiggle room, the shutter lets you just run whatever. And I like putting the bayonet on it at times. So I'll shoot my FMJ at the private range when I can go there, and buy some other stuff for the others.

Schuster makes a high volume gas plug (essentially the same as Garand Gear) that *I think* allows you to fix a bayonet ... and is also a little bit cheaper too.