CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Garand (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Which is better? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=132685)

wstanley 03-15-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swanderek (Post 1042590)
Got 2 service grade H&R rifles. They look pretty worn compared to some pics anyway. One is te 3+ and me 1.... The other is te3 and me2... My question is with all things being equal, which one has more life in the barrel?

I have a SA 3.364 with a 2.0 MW & TE 3.0 and other rifles with better numbers and even a recently installed NOS SA barrel and they don't shoot as good as the SA 3.364. So, shoot both to see which is the most accurate. Like others have said, if you are not shooting more than 200 yards, then either rifle should be fine.

Garandimal 03-15-2014 04:35 PM

Both will shoot inside of 4 MOA (unless there is a problem w/ the rifle), and more than likely closed to 3 MOA, w/ HXP ball ammo... out to 500 yards.

Expect b/t 2-3 MOA of even less w/ quality ammo.

Shoot them... lots.

GR

shawn 03-15-2014 06:25 PM

I my recent experience I have noticed that the CMP readings seem to be about 1/2 high. I've had a very experienced Garand collector look at and gauge a few of my rifles and they always come up a little under what the tag says.
If anyone reading goes to any of the northeast or central Wi gun shows I'm describing the older fellow that shows a rack of all makes and usually only is selling USGI Garand small parts.

CRD 04-24-2014 03:23 PM

I'm new to this gun and the forum so excuse me in my ignorance. Are lower numbers better than higher numbers or the other way around. Mine is 1+/2+.

rapid86 04-24-2014 03:59 PM

Lower are better; yours aren't bad at all, good actually. I've read that a lot of new barrels are 1 at the muzzle.

lapriester 04-24-2014 03:59 PM

They both have more life in the barrel than you'll ever use up. The ME1 barrel "may" be more accurate but even that is questionable. You'll never know until you shoot both of them and compare. 5000 rounds, LOL. I doubt, with typical recreational type or match type shooting you'll wear those barrels out in 10,000 rounds. My match barrel started out with a MW of 1.5. I have about 5000 rounds down the tube and it still reads <MW 2. It's a total myth that a barrel loses a number for ever 1000 rounds shot through it so disregard that urban myth outright. Just ain't so.

Many NIW SA barrels begin their life close to, or at, an ME 2 - ME 2.5 reading. Notice I haven't even mentioned the TE. Reason? If you are starting at a 3 or 3+ it's a reading that is completely meaningless and close to new condition. What you have are a couple of rifles that have not seen a great deal of hard or, in fact any combat use.

To answer the other poster's question, the higher the reading the more wear on that barrel area, MW being the muzzle wear, TE being throat erosion from the hot gases expelled by the cartridge and contact with the bullet. But, unless you are going to be in extended firefights where the barrel gets so hot the handguards begin to smoke and the barrel begins to erode you have nothing to worry about from either barrel for a lifetime of accurate shooting. 3+? that means when the gauge was inserted it read barely over the "3" line on the gauge.

I've actually found that CMP gauges (MW) tend to be more forgiving rather than read higher. That has been true in every case comparing it to a StoneAxe and a Folsom Armory gauge.

rgdguns 04-24-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn (Post 1042884)
I my recent experience I have noticed that the CMP readings seem to be about 1/2 high. I've had a very experienced Garand collector look at and gauge a few of my rifles and they always come up a little under what the tag says.
If anyone reading goes to any of the northeast or central Wi gun shows I'm describing the older fellow that shows a rack of all makes and usually only is selling USGI Garand small parts.

That is about what i always get but then again how many time have the cmp gauges been used and how careful are they with them . Just imagine gauging barrels all day.

jthurman 04-25-2014 02:09 PM

I wouldn't get too worried about those numbers. Let Dad pick one and enjoy. Larry explains it well, I haven't shot enough rounds in mine to even worry. Most won't.