CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ask CMP (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Surplus 1911 Sales OK'd by President? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=178899)

CoalTrain49 11-30-2015 12:29 PM

I'm saving my money for one.

I've wanted one for about 6 years. That's a long time to wait but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

CMP will guarantee that it's serviceable. That's my only criteria. I will go for a service grade, higher if they release any.

I have a Gold Cup so it won't be a range gun, well maybe not much. ;)

Reliabilityman 11-30-2015 12:37 PM

I wonder what years these 1911's will span? What would be the chance of getting one from WWII timeframe?

glassmountains 11-30-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reliabilityman (Post 1385487)
I wonder what years these 1911's will span? What would be the chance of getting one from WWII timeframe?

See earlier post of production figures. 1912-1919 and 1924-1945

Zrescue 11-30-2015 12:46 PM

I'll contribute my 2 cents to this thread. 1) I hope I can get one, 2) that being said...

a) By 1970 virtually EVERY 1911A1 in the U.S.A. inventory had been Depot Rebuilt AT LEAST ONCE... if not twice (you can tell by the marking on the pistols).
b) The rebuild process consisted of replacing non-serviceable parts (on one frame) with serviceable parts that were either cannibalized or in some cases (slides particularly) of new manufacturer.
c) I was commissioned in 1970. By that time officers were not issued their very own sidearm, rather, when they arriverd at each unit, they were assigned one out of the MTO&E stock.
d) In a combat zone, unit SOP usually called for the officer (and certain other enlisted personnel) retaining it 24/7 until they rotated out of the unit, but outside of a combat zone (CONUS, Europe, etc.) the sidearms were stored in the units arms room and an officer would 'draw' it upon need.
e) so between all of the 1911A1's I was assigned, all the 1911A1's my fellow (unit buddy) officers were assigned, and all the arms room's I have inventoried, I handled / (roughly) inspected maybe 250 (or so) 1911A1's. (and I never saw a 1911 (non-A1) frame).
f) Unless the unit had a dud for an armorer, everyone of them was functional (although some better than others), and the armorer kept them that way by replacing broken / unserviceable parts from his own "Cannibalized" stash.
g) I would LOVE to have anyone of them for a SHOOTER, but they are far from being a collectors item. Any of you could possible get a frame made by USS&S, but in reality, it is a LONG WAY from being a USS&S 1911A1!
I) After doing a fair amount of research, last year I used some "Inheritance Money" to purchase an Original Vantage 1911A1. I got a 1944 Remington Rand (with ALL the CORRECT marking on ALL the inner pats) in 99 condition (yes, it was complete with the quintessential "Idiot Mark". it's value is in the $2500 range. Like I say, you may get one through CMP with a slide stamped "Colt", but that sure does not mean you obtained a vintage Colt 1911A1.

GOOD LUCK to all of you in getting a pistol. I, for sure, will be trying to also - to add to my Collection (4 currently) - one can just never have too many of the Only Pistol "Given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

Reliabilityman 11-30-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zrescue (Post 1385492)
I'll contribute my 2 cents to this thread. 1) I hope I can get one, 2) that being said...

a) By 1970 virtually EVERY 1911A1 in the U.S.A. inventory had been Depot Rebuilt AT LEAST ONCE... if not twice (you can tell by the marking on the pistols).
b) The rebuild process consisted of replacing non-serviceable parts (on one frame) with serviceable parts that were either cannibalized or in some cases (slides particularly) of new manufacturer.
c) I was commissioned in 1970. By that time officers were not issued their very own sidearm, rather, when they arriverd at each unit, they were assigned one out of the MTO&E stock.
d) In a combat zone, unit SOP usually called for the officer retaining it 24/7, but outside of a combat zone (CONUS, Europe, etc.) the sidearm was stored in the units arms room and an officer would 'draw' it upon need.
e) so between all of the 1911A1's I was assigned, all the 1911A1's my fellow (unit buddy) officers were assigned, and all the arms room's I have inventoried, I handled / (roughly) inspected maybe 250 (or so) 1911A1's. (and I never saw a 1911 (non-A1)).
f) Unless the unit had a dud for an armorer, everyone of them was functional (although some better than others), and the armorer kept them that way by replacing broken / unserviceable parts from his own "Cannibalized" stash.
g) I would LOVE to have anyone of them for a SHOOTER, but they are far from being a collectors item. Any of you could possible get a frame made by USS&S, but in reality, it is a LONG WAY from being a USS&S 1911A1!
I) After doing a fair amount of research, last year I used some "Inheritance Money" to purchase an Original Vantage 1911A1. I got a 1944 Remington Rand (with ALL the CORRECT marking on ALL the inner pats) in 99 condition (yes, it was complete with the quintessential "Idiot Mark". it's value is in the $2500 range. Like I say, you may get one from Through CMP with a slide stamped "Colt", but that sure does not mean you obtained a vintage Colt 1911A1.

GOOD LUCK to all of you in getting a pistol. I, for sure, will be trying to also - to ad to my Collection (4 currently) - one can just never have too many of the Only Pistol "Given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

Good information! Thanks!

Combat Diver 11-30-2015 01:10 PM

As a retired SF soldier and now contracted armorer I got word today that I'll be getting M1911A1 parts down range shortly. As I mentioned earlier SOCOM is still using 1911s in small quantities. We have more Beretta M9, SIGs (M11 and Mk25) and Glock (17/19) then 1911s. Then there is MARSOC with their new Colt 1911s I have to maintain them too. While the newer pistols are reliable and do work, I still prefer the M1911A1. Like I still grab a M14 or FAL over a any AR in 5.56.

I do want a service grade M1911A1 to go with my C&R collection as I've been issued and carried them since 83' and here in Iraq/Afghanistan. Shame my own Govt doesn't trust me with a new M4A1 at my house. I would be nice to be able to have my gone to war weapons to pass down to my grandkids at some point. I'll leave out the 7.62mm Mk44 Mod 3 Miniguns and M3 Carl Gustav 84mm Recoilless Rifles as they cost too much to shoot.

CD

Mark Johnson 11-30-2015 01:11 PM

The NDAA 2016 did pass and was signed by the President. If we receive 1911s we will sell them in accordance with the law. We have no further information concerning 1911s at this time.

Zrescue 11-30-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Johnson (Post 1385508)
The NDAA 2016 did pass and was signed by the President. If we receive 1911s we will sell them in accordance with the law. We have no further information concerning 1911s at this time.

Thank you sir.

petera 11-30-2015 04:39 PM

Don't forget to get excited over the National Match M1911A1s in inventory.

UncleWilly 11-30-2015 04:54 PM

They will go on sale as a package deal. One 1911A1 and one Korea-return M1 carbine. :-)