CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Garand (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Got my SA SG today!!! (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=226756)

JMR 04-10-2018 01:59 PM

Got my SA SG today!!!

I got my SA SG today. I had requested a 1960's rebuild and the CMP came through.

It's a SA Sept/1942 receiver with SA 4-63 barrel, SA Trigger Group, NM 062 front sight,
NM Gas Cylinder, IHC Gas Plug, IHC Bolt, IHC OP Rod and CMP Walnut stock.

It's some kind of 60's rebuilt but the receiver leg is not marked. There seems to be some kind of Black finish on the receiver
like it was sprayed on. Should this be removed?

Any way thanks CMP!!!!

Receiver

Receiver Leg

Rear Sight Knob

Barrel

Bolt

NM Gas Cylinder

NM Front Sight

T38Carbine 04-10-2018 02:20 PM

Couldn’t see too much from the pics. I would recommend not trying to remove the finish. See if you can get better pictures posted.

fsasquad1 04-10-2018 03:20 PM

With CMP wood?

I did see that Duh!

Robertp 04-10-2018 03:21 PM

If 'black' finish is only on heel of receiver probably lead dipped. Sure looks as such from receiver photo. Agree with T38Carbine. Don't mess with and post better photos of receiver.

JMR 04-10-2018 03:38 PM

If you click on the pic it will zoom in. It seems like some kind of Black finish or preservative is on the receiver.

Maybe it was some type of tactical finish put on for a trip to Vietnam. lol

bruce 04-10-2018 04:46 PM

Nice rifle! Very nice NM gas cylinder/front sight! 60's barrel ... should be a very good shooter! Sincerely. bruce.

mnhusker 04-10-2018 06:57 PM

Looks like Lead dipped heal then rest of receiver has little finish left thats why heal looks "black".

You could send it to Tim Shufflin to have the whole rifle reparkerized but I would leave like it is, its historic.

All the best with your new rifle.

John

JMR 04-10-2018 07:38 PM

I'm very pleased with it for a luck of the draw deal.
I hope it's a good shooter we'll see this weekend.:)

TSimonetti 04-10-2018 09:35 PM

Your receiver, rear sight group, and bolt finish look heavily oxidized with a purplish tint. The heel may look blacker due to lead dipping. I"ve seen examples like that at the North Store. It's not an extra applied finish in my opinion. Just aged metal.

What is the TE/ME of the barrel?

JMR 04-10-2018 09:58 PM

Throat 3 / Muzzle 2

Did they still do lead dipping in the serial 925xxx range?

Kansasbobcat 04-10-2018 10:00 PM

receiver finish/color

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSimonetti (Post 1706903)
Your receiver, rear sight group, and bolt finish look heavily oxidized with a purplish tint. The heel may look blacker due to lead dipping. I"ve seen examples like that at the North Store. It's not an extra applied finish in my opinion. Just aged metal.

What is the TE/ME of the barrel?

I got a field grade with similar color/finish on receiver. Looked almost like a bad blue job like on some late war P38s. First one I have ever seen on an M1 receiver.

jerryjeff 04-10-2018 11:31 PM

I've seen it. That's a mixture of "patina" and cosmoline and who knows what. I'd love to have that rifle; I'd strip the valuable parts off it,clean it; well,I'd sandblast it and re-park it. Put the '63 barrel back on, load it up with less valuable parts, put a new hackberry stock on it and have a nice rifle.
I have no idea how those valuable parts wound up on that rifle. It's not NM and it's not a rebuild. Not a real rebuild.
Edit: it might have actually been a NM rifle or something before it went to Turkey and they abused it.

Camel24hrs 04-11-2018 12:29 AM

Doesn’t look lead dipped to me. Most of those I have seen ended up with a little of the lead on the back receiver legs from the angle they dipped them.

jerryjeff 04-11-2018 12:33 AM

Some got dipped deeper than others.
I'm not sure it's lead dipped either; just black.

JMR 04-11-2018 10:35 AM

Seems like it's just Black especially the bolt and barrel.
It almost matches my Colt AR. lol

Do you think this was a return from Turkey?
That might explain the barrel wear somebody put a few rounds through it.

I tried to remove the gas plug but it's on really tight. Will try a 1/4" extension next.

mnhusker 04-11-2018 10:46 AM

JMR

Soak it in some Kroll oil or similar first and then try.

I have found that works best than just brute force.

All the best.

John

Rock 04-11-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camel24hrs (Post 1706937)
Doesn’t look lead dipped to me. Most of those I have seen ended up with a little of the lead on the back receiver legs from the angle they dipped them.

I agree; probably old corrosion that aged to black.

Also, I have observed that 99.9% of the receivers with dipped legs are Winchester.

JMR 04-11-2018 12:49 PM

I have a can of PB Blaster that stuff works great on stuck bolts.

JMR 04-12-2018 03:01 PM

I got the gas plug off without issue using a 1/4" and PB Blaster.
Both the plug and op rod piston looked very shiny like someone put some effort to cleaning them.

I guess it was the CMP who did that...they definitely torqued on the gas plug though.
Maybe after cleaning someone at the CMP had a NM Gas Cylinder and NM Front Sight laying around and installed them.

A few years ago I bought a CMP 308 Special and it had a NM 062 Front Sight on it.

Prince Humperdink 04-14-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMR (Post 1706913)
Throat 3 / Muzzle 2

Did they still do lead dipping in the serial 925xxx range?

Yes,I have a 1.6 million that is.
Here is a thread on annealling.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ipped+receiver

mycanoe44 04-14-2018 05:09 PM

I recently received a SA FG that had a NM op rod. The op rod looks new and doesn't match the rest of the rifle. Probably thrown on by the CMP to get it out the door. I wonder if Turkish returns may be missing some parts as received.

Camel24hrs 04-14-2018 06:29 PM

Had a SA 1.79 that was lead dipped.

JMR 04-24-2018 05:36 PM

I cleaned it up and put in a new recoil spring the cmp spring had a kink in it.
Also replaced the clip latch spring it looked original with allot of crud under the clip latch.

I stripped the bolt and cleaned it as well. I noticed the firing pin looked like someone had ground on it at the corner of 90 degree bend just in front of where the hammer strikes it. The firing pin floats ok in the bolt without issue.

Has anyone heard of firing pins being worked on like this ?