CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Just got my 1911 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=239086)

Thirdcliff 01-01-2019 11:04 AM

Just got my 1911

https://imgur.com/a/MLYMeG9

I was intrigued a couple years ago when rumors started circulating that CMP might be acquiring some 1911s to release to the public. The 1911 was the one thing missing from my mil-sup collection. I went out and bought Joe Poyer's book and started watching the YouTube videos. My anticipation grew as CMP's 1911 release came closer to reality. Then the bomb dropped. I live in Massachusetts, and was shocked to learn that due to some crazy gun laws, CMP could not sell 1911s to residents of the state. Apparently, for handguns to be legally sold here, manufacturers have to submit them for testing. Guns that pass a "drop" test are then approved for sale. Modern 1911s are OK, but any variation that aren't tested won't be approved. Well, obviously, Colt, Remington, Ithica, etc. aren't going to submit military side arms they manufactured 75 or 100 years ago. Any gun in the state manufactured prior to the "assault weapon ban", passed in 1994, is grandfathered and therefore legal to own here. Has your head stopped spinning yet? So, for the past six months I've been looking for a "grandfathered" 1911, and I found one last week. It's a colt made in 1918 in really nice condition...all original, no rebuild marks.. I took it to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds through it. I'm very happy, although I paid a bit more for it and missed out on the anticipation of waiting for a CMP delivery. That's half the fun.

jwenum 01-01-2019 11:14 AM

Great story & happy for you. I already have a shooter made up from a Caspian frame; so this CMP gun will kinda be a history thing.

drywash 01-01-2019 12:01 PM

Good for you! Enjoy it, and "shoot it some". Don't let it just "sit".

swmft 01-01-2019 12:23 PM

my ancestors fought a war when the government went to take their powder and shot, sad people let them push them around.

bucketofgut 01-01-2019 03:17 PM

Very nice Colt 1911. Great pics also. Thank you, Happy New Year!:D

mikezee 01-02-2019 12:36 AM

There’s 1911s to be had boys!!!!

AutogunNY 01-02-2019 05:42 AM

...Nice ending to a sad story, (and I thought NYS was repressive) This is the sad result of only 50% of eligible people bothering to vote...

Thirdcliff 01-02-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemanw (Post 1788585)
If that's original finish you better not be listening to the Neanderthals saying make it a shooter. My inner historian is screaming at you. Yes, I'm that guy.

And my inner metallurgist is screaming for you not to shoot it with that slide either.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I do appreciate your comments. I certainly wasn't planning to put thousands of rounds through it, but I do like to exercise all my mil-sup stuff every so often. I didn't acquire a modest collection to be locked up in a safe for future generations to appreciate. I understand there is always a risk firing antique firearms. I hadn't heard shooting early 1911s was a bad idea. I believe CMP is including some 1911s in their current release although most appear to be 1911A1s...I don't believe they've issued any cautionary warnings. I purchased my 1911 from a gun smith who had completely broken it down and fired it. The story was, he bought it from an elderly widow who was selling off her late husbands gun collection. I would love to hear other thoughts on this topic...

rapid86 01-02-2019 09:12 AM

I once had a guy ask me what kind of guns I collected. My reply was, "Ones that I can shoot." By that I didn't mean necessarily ones that I could shoot well but ones that weren't perpetual safe queens.

Natty Bumppo 01-02-2019 10:28 AM

Nice 1911!

Question though. I did not think 1911's, no matter how old, were transferable in Mass? If you have a C&R you're all set...can buy them all day long. If not, I think your gunsmith may have sold you a non-transferable pistol. I may be wrong. You see many Lugers and 1911a1's at shows that will say "sold only to C&R holders" for that reason.