CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Carbine (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Carbine Stock Fit (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=57880)

mattee88 10-25-2011 09:41 AM

Carbine Stock Fit

Hey Guys,

I got a carbine from a guy that had a heavily varnished stock that I sanded down and refinished lightly. I wanted to get a nice USGI stock that matched an IO handguard I picked up. At the Knob Creek show last year I picked up what I think is a M2 potbelly stock which looked great for $30. When I got it home I tried to install it with my handguard and it would not allow the barrel band retaining spring to lock down. I tightened it as tight as I could and when I was at the range the handguard popped off. I tried to file it down a bit to see if it would lock down and basically ended up ruining the stock.

Fast forward to last week, I picked up a stock and handguard set at this years Knob Creek show to hopefully drop my Inland into and again I could not get the barrel band to engage the spring!!! Before I ruin another stock is there anything I could do? I was thinking of picking up another barrel band but do not want to mess with the front sight.

Thanks,
Matt

hammonje 10-25-2011 10:32 AM

Fit the handguard and not the stock. Perhaps try another band spring. Relieve wood where contact is made using a wood rasp. Slowly and check fit often.

mattee88 10-25-2011 11:08 AM

Thanks for the response. What do you suggest I do to fit the handguard?

Matt

meplat 10-25-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matee88
When I got it home I tried to install it with my handguard and it would not allow the barrel band retaining spring to lock down. I tightened it as tight as I could and when I was at the range the handguard popped off. I tried to file it down a bit to see if it would lock down and basically ended up ruining the stock.

Have you tried bending the band retaining spring outward? Sometimes they are "weak" and lose their original shape. The hole it's installed in might not even be perpendicular to the barrel axis. Try another spring? Waay cheaper than a handguard (or a stock)

:D

hammonje 10-25-2011 11:32 AM

You have to look at the areas that are making contact and relieve them slowly. Do as meplat has stated with the handguard by adjusting the metal lip. I often bend it slightly upward to improve downforce. Quite often this eliminates play and wiggle. Also could potentially make the handguard a little bit shorter in length. I have had this happen once and the band spring swap and a tad bit of wood rasp relief to the stock ledge for lack of a better term fixed it right up. Once it snaps on your golden.

CADBURY 10-25-2011 12:59 PM

It sounds as if the metal plate on the handguard is not fitted all the way into the reciever that in turn does not let the barrel band come all the way back to lock onto the retaining spring.

Hawky 10-25-2011 11:27 PM

Pictures?

6 Ring 10-26-2011 05:02 PM

If a stock does not look sixty years old and drug behind a tank twenty miles, it may not be a GI stock. Pictures would help.