CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   M1 Carbine (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   MacArthurs carbine (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=27587)

Bushrod 10-21-2010 05:32 PM

MacArthurs carbine
 
See that guy on the far left. He is MacArthurs body guard and that extra carbine is The General's.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YlH1XSlujr.../macarthur.jpg

WIN 342 10-21-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrod (Post 209405)
See that guy on the far left. He is MacArthurs body guard and that extra carbine is The General's.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YlH1XSlujr.../macarthur.jpg


Looks like my boltless before it went to the CMP:D

Tired Retired 10-21-2010 05:39 PM

Yep, and I am going to be selling that one on GB next week with a minimum bid of $6,000. oh, and for another $1,000 I it will have the General's autograph!

jeeperbob 10-21-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrod (Post 209405)
See that guy on the far left. He is MacArthurs body guard and that extra carbine is The General's.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YlH1XSlujr.../macarthur.jpg

I have some doubts about that.
1. No bodyguard would be 3 people away from his assignment.
2. All the others in the photo are also unarmed and would be
3. Expected to protect the General.
4. There is no photo of McArthur as any General Officer with a weapon that I have ever seen. Of all the photos of senior Generals I have seen, those armed were only with pistols. The exception was General McAuliffe at Bastogne but he was only a one star and not senior General (4 & 5 Stars). Even though all military personnel theoretically would pick up a rifle in defense, I doubt that McArthur even knew how to load a carbine or even take it off safe. I don't say that to belittle the man, it was not why he was in the position he was in.

That being said, I certainly do not know everything about everything and have been known to be wrong before. Is your story from a book or something?

col b 10-21-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired Retired (Post 209413)
Yep, and I am going to be selling that one on GB next week with a minimum bid of $6,000. oh, and for another $1,000 I it will have the General's autograph!


Ed, don't forget it would be an unfired original!!

Bushrod 10-21-2010 10:10 PM

Nothing happened by accident in a Macarthur photo. If the general had wanted a garand or quad 50s, they would be there. He obviously chose the carbine for it's sperior qualifications and that should put to rest all the slander of a very fine weapon.

Bushrod 10-21-2010 10:16 PM

lets see ,I count three stars, a granade and a garand. Maybe he does not know he's not supposed to do that!

http://www.life.com/image/50772123

G26ster 10-21-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushrod (Post 209586)
lets see ,I count three stars, a granade and a garand. Maybe he does not know he's not supposed to do that!

http://www.life.com/image/50772123

Or the Garand was his driver's. Looks like he's in a Jeep with a rifle rack and a empty MG mount.

stickhauler 10-21-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G26ster (Post 209588)
Or the Garand was his driver's. Looks like he's in a Jeep with a rifle rack and a empty MG mount.

He actually knew how to fire a rifle, he jumped with his troops in the D-Day invasion, where both the 101st and 82nd were scattered all over the place in France. The majority of the senior officers came in well after the actual invasion. Gotta love a leader who actually knew about "leading from the front" of the line instead of telling his troops "go get 'em."

G26ster 10-21-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickhauler (Post 209605)
He actually knew how to fire a rifle, he jumped with his troops in the D-Day invasion, where both the 101st and 82nd were scattered all over the place in France. The majority of the senior officers came in well after the actual invasion. Gotta love a leader who actually knew about "leading from the front" of the line instead of telling his troops "go get 'em."

Not doubting he could fire a rifle at all. Just saying it's impossible to tell who's rifle it is. But, as he has a grenade on his gear, who knows ;) After all he didn't start out as a General Officer. After graduating from West Point, he commanded an Infantry Company. Gotta think he had to qualify with a rifle as an Infantry Co. CO.

Looks like he's packing a 1911 here (but he's still totin a grenade) :D

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...000/h98265.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.