CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   CMP Bolt Action Rifles (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   CMP Springfield 1922 M2 (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=234942)

WWI 10-02-2018 11:04 AM

CMP Springfield 1922 M2

Have any of you guys ever seen a Springfield 1922 M2 that has the holes for both scope blocks drilled and tapped only on the barrel. My understanding is that NRA sales rifles were drill on the receiver and barrel?
Thanks, fred

JimF 10-02-2018 11:34 AM

While not exactly addressing your question, I offer the following . . . as quoted from Bill Brophy’s “The Springfield 1903 Rifles”, page 278 . . .

“From examination of a number of Model 1922 rifles drilled and tapped for telescope bases, it appears that those done at the Armory were drilled and tapped for the rear base into the barrel and not into the top of the receiver. The rearmost hole was centered .187 inch in front of the receiver.”

Notice here he is talking about the original M1922 rifle . . . . NOT the later M2.

S99VG 10-02-2018 01:54 PM

My hunch is that you could probably get an M2 through NRA sales (not CMP) that were or were not drilled for scope mounts. Of course these guns would be in the NRA sporter stock - sans the cross bolts. My hunch also is that you could get an M2 in the military stock that was not drilled and have it sent to the armory (or any competent gunsmith) to be drilled to NRA sales specs - or any specs dictated by your mounting system. Of course these guns have been around for a long time and have been subjected to any number of modifications that were done by private party owners. But that's just my hunch.

Herschel 10-04-2018 01:20 PM

The sales variation of the 1922M1 and the Sales Variation of the M2 (rare) came drilled and tapped for scope blocks. The 1922M1 rifles that were for issue to DCM affiliated rifle teams, came drilled tapped on the receiver ring and 7.2" forward on the barrel. It seems that a high percentage of those were converted to 1922M11 by replacing the bolt, magazine and stock with the M2 versions. Many of these will be seen in the M2 stock with the holes in the receiver and barrel. I have seen replacement barrels on the club issue rifles dated in the 1930's that had scope block holes in the replacement barrel. I have an original 1922 with holes for both scope blocks on the barrel on 6.5" centers. I wish I could prove they were done at SA but have no proof of this. It is my opinion that many scope block holes were the aftermarket work of gunsmiths.
My post is to elaborate on what S99VG posted above. I agree with what he has said in his post.

cplnorton 10-04-2018 03:06 PM

There have been a lot of loose M2/1922 parts in my area for a long time. I live by Perry.

Is see a lot of random parts laying around at about every show. Many gunsmiths in my are will buy these parts and assemble rifles and sell them on the tables.

That is always an option as well.

S99VG 10-05-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplnorton (Post 1759910)
There have been a lot of loose M2/1922 parts in my area for a long time. I live by Perry.

Is see a lot of random parts laying around at about every show. Many gunsmiths in my are will buy these parts and assemble rifles and sell them on the tables.

That is always an option as well.

Now those are some gun shows I'd like to see!