CMP Forums

CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php)
-   Ammunition (http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hand loading for the M1? (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=3374)

FootSoldier 12-08-2009 09:21 PM

Hand loading for the M1?

For those who do hand load, do you crimp? I think I'd prefer a very slight crimp, something like .002". I run that setting on my AR rifles and it works well.

What say those with more autoloader experience than me?

78jeep 12-08-2009 09:43 PM

No I don't. I did some a long time ago, but saw no benefit, and the brass holds up longer. I do crimp pistol ammo with a Lee crimp but I don't do a lot of pistol. none of the competitive shooter I know, which is a lot, use a crimp, none. HTH

Kirk in AL 12-08-2009 09:44 PM

It depends on the load; I test loads crimped & uncrimped. I use the better of the two. When I crimp, I use the Lee Factory Crimp die; none better at any price.

Ballbags (Again) 12-08-2009 09:46 PM

I Compete with my AR's and reload all my rounds, I have yet to Crimp any of my auto loading rifles . As long as your neck tension is correct you should be good to go
On my pistols always crimp

cfullgraf 12-08-2009 10:32 PM

I use a light taper crimp on my 30-06 Garands loads in the bullet cannelure. I probably don't need it. I do not crimp any of my AR loads (223 Rem, 17 Rem and 204 Ruger) including my service rifle match loads.

I do taper crimp all my pistol rounds and roll crimp my revolver rounds.

scr83jp 12-09-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootSoldier (Post 24691)
For those who do hand load, do you crimp? I think I'd prefer a very slight crimp, something like .002". I run that setting on my AR rifles and it works well.

No I don't I had a belgium made browning semiauto 30-06 before I bought the garand and I didn't crimp the ammo for it.

Ericc 12-09-2009 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FootSoldier (Post 24691)

I crimp bullets that are 168gr and over using the lee factory crimp. It only requires the lightest crimp you can set to.

I started doing this after noticing the heavier bullets would run out upon chambering in the M1. No amount of neck tension stopped the movement.

So I very lightly crimp them. This lowered my velocity standard deviation and my grouping improved.

If the crimp is too hard it will distort the bullet and probably destroy any accuracy gain you made.

Eric

Scott in Michigan 12-09-2009 06:38 AM

I've never found the need to crimp any rifle cartridges up to and including 375 H&H. However, I usually polish the neck expander button down to 4-6 thousands under bullet diameter. That seems to create all the neck tension required. It may shorten case life as much as crimping will but it doesn't require an additional step. Semi-autos beat up the heads of cases enough that I end up discarding them long beore I get case neck splits

plattincreek 12-09-2009 09:18 AM

Seems like crimping is a matter of opinion. The suggestion above about testing for accuracy both with and without a crimp is a good idea. If you intend to crimp, I suggest you look at the Lee Taper Crimp die. I've used them for 30/06, 223, and most of my pistol cartridges. These dies are easy to adjust and I like just a "little" crimp for rounds going through my semi automatics. Don't get carried away crimping cartridges that headspace on the cartridge mouth. That is one reason why I like the taper crimp dies.

USSR 12-09-2009 09:29 AM

With sufficient neck tension, no crimp is necessary. I use bushing dies, and can vary the amount of neck tension of my loads.

Don