• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SEANinMICH
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by MH53Gunner View Post
    Jim,
    I have your book and enjoyed the reading. One of the first books that I broke down and bought.

Thanks for being here on the forum!

Me too. Even have mine signed by Jim.

I don't think ANYONE else has published any info on the PB and BMR rifles. Jim is the only author I've seen that spends any time on these.

Comment

• jimthompson502002
      • Nov 2009

Any further updating would have to come from Paladin. (ED NOTE: Paladin is out of business. They had been declining for almost a decade, and the last three years they'd begun to fail entirely. These are NOT industrial histories, and were never intended to be. ) And a friend looked it up. What's on there is, apparently, indeed, from just after the very first printing, back around 1998. Amazon has no deal with me, and I am sure I make nothing from that sort of lashup. Those who have more recent editions and the opportunity to compare will notice that the printings have continuously improved, although only very, very few of the 200 or so updated captions and changes I sent since 2002 has ever been used. Publishers do these things at their convenience. In case someone wonders, the versions of prints they used in the first print were largely the "guide" prints I included with captions attached, never intended to be used IN THE BOOK.

But what's being used there is apparently the oldest extant version.

I know zilch about the kindle version.
      Last edited by jimthompson502002; 07-07-2018, 10:35 PM. Reason: detail
      No good deed goes unpunished!

Comment

• jimthompson502002
        • Nov 2009

Just got the first chance in a long time to view the very FIRST
        edition/printing of THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND, and lo and behold, it did
        indeed contain, on page 1x, the very FIRST introductory page,
        as a footnote, well BEFORE the first chapter, the below:

"1. What used to be the U.S. Army's DCM (Department of Civilian
        Marksmanship) has been dissolved, replaced by what is basically
        a private corporation called the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship
        Program). Under that umbrella, M1's may go up in price as high
        as $400 or higher, but will continue to be available. Various
        auctions, etc., and programs for other firearms may be instituted.
        The various freezes in the program(s) appear to be over, though it
        is now more important than ever for the Garand buff to keep a close
        eye on the system."

Paladin deleted or incorporated my other footnotes, but I did not
        clearly recall what must've been a last minute change until today!

When I wrote that, this was all quite new. And the book from
        which I copied that was one I gave away to a friend from the very
        first printing!

So it--mention of the CMP--was in the book long even
        before I remembered. Why it wouldn't be in a "Kindle" version...
        or even if it is absent...I have not the vaguest idea.

Also, there seems to be an inference in some of this that it would've
        been valid to conceal, soften, or cover up some of the statements
        made by "old salts" like Jake, which in fact were, if anything,
        understatements when referring to the smear campaign against the
        Garand and some aspects of certain manufacturers. That kind of
        fraudulent propaganda hog wash--the editing out of valid critique
        and correct information, that is, in favor of whatever commercial
        interests are paying for advertising, no matter how corrupt--has
        no place in any kind of literature except advertising handbills.
        Soft pedaling the information I got would've been not merely
        dishonest, it would've been criminally irresponsible. Moreover,
        I've not noticed any disagreement from valid historians or
        students of the rifle.

I have no idea what a "Kindle" even looks like, or how Amazon
        might edit what goes on there, nor am I even interested. I
        have no access, no conversations of any kind with Amazon,
        no way to input or change anything. But theirs (based on
        information gleaned from friends) does appear
        to be weirdly edited and very outdated. I do
        know the pictures in the book have been upgraded, albeit
        Paladin has never upgraded most of the captions. But apparently
        there's something wrong with something that is beyond my
        capacity to fix.

It was my intention NOT to produce an industrial history, which has been done to death
        before, and to present something from the perspective of the shooter, the 'smith/armorer,
        and the infantryman, and even to include the reloader. Industrial histories, frankly,
        bore me to death, and I was far more interested in the sources of exaggerated and
        fraudulent statements about the Garand in the early days, and I found them. It wasn't
        even difficult. It's called "vested interests".
        Last edited by jimthompson502002; 07-25-2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Russ661
          • Mar 2010

I have not read the book in question nor any of the authors work so I really can't comment on the OP's question. I just want to point out something I found, um, interesting in this thread. Please understand this is my own subjective impression and I mean no disrespect to any of the posters in this thread.

The OP started out sounding somewhat dissatisfied with the product he purchased and asked for advice on whether or not he should invest further time to finish reading it. I believe this set the tone for what followed.

On the first page there were 3 neutral replies, 2 negative replies and one reply in support of the product. Then the author of the product in question chimed in and the whole feel of the thread changed.

After that first post by the author we had only one more negative response and seven, count 'em, 7 positive responses supportive of the author and his work with no responses that I would consider neutral or ambiguous in nature.

I find it very interesting to see how the course of the discussion could take such a dramatic turn when the author shows up to defend his work and I wonder just what that says about people in general.

Again, no disrespect intended toward anyone; I'm just making an observation. Please, carry on.
          We're paratroopers, son. We're supposed to be surrounded!

Airborne
          B Co, 1/509 ABCT Vicenza Italy, '74-'76
          NRA Patriot Life
          25+ 100% positive feedbacks

Comment

• bobk
            • Mar 2010

Don't know what it says about people in general, maybe everyone who read the author's response just understood it a little better then and there were fewer questions. I have one of the first ones published and I have read it so many times, it is getting quite frayed around the corners. I have done reviews on books for several publishers over the last 10 or 15 years and I know what goes into a revision. It can be a daunting project especially if it involves a lot of updated information and pictures.
            Having read a lot of your stuff Jim, I do applaud you in your efforts to bring some information to the shooting community. The book in question I thought was a good book and the only thing I wished was different were the pictures, colored ones would be a lot prettier, but again I understand the cost involved and if you can get a point across with a black and white picture then why go through the expense of a colored one. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but I remember quite well when the pictures in books were all in black and white, that is if they even had pictures.
            In summary, thanks Jim for transmitting some good information about the M1 and different aspects of collecting, shooting, reloading, etc.
            You obviously did spend considerable time and effort, not to mention the financial cost, in researching this great rifle. I wish I knew you personally and we could go to the range and fire off a few rounds. I always enjoy visiting with and shooting with Garand collectors and shooters.
            Have a good one and keep up the good work.

Comment

• jimthompson502002
              • Nov 2009

Paladin doesn't do "inside color", and back then, they didn't even do color covers.

Comment

• TokiWartooth
                • Jan 2010

FYI.

I've read Jim's book "cover to cover" (well, on a Kindle, anyway). The book isn't really designed for an electronic reader, but the price was right ($9). The main issue was trying to tie Jim's comments to the attached pics, but the pics (the Kindle is b/w, and not designed for images) are very hard to discern, and the book's "approach" tends to be Jim stating his comments and confirming them based on the pics in the book. Very, very hard on the electronic reader. It was my first foray into this type of book on the Kindle.

In the end, I did enjoy the book. I kept it in perspective after Jim told me it was an older revision.

Comment

• E-7Ret.
                  • Oct 2009

Well, as I said earlier, Garand data changes so quickly anymore it's hard for a reference book to be relevant one year after printing. But,this thread has 'Kindled'(HaHa) my interest. I'll have to search out on of Jim's Tomes and purchase it. Obviously, it's from a different slant and should be much better reading.
                  "Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas"
                  Jeff Cooper

Comment

• jimthompson502002
                    • Nov 2009

Figured, as long as this thread discussed "updates", I should mention, in the last month or so, versions of both volumes with improved graphics, a few clarified captions, and a tad more data are now in inventory and in print.

Most of this was stuff that "fell through the cracks" when the project was changed from one rather large volume to a pair of paperbacks.

No interior color, and probably never will be. And I still have almost no information on the Kindle version.

Next printing, the greasing chart will probably reappear, albeit frankly, with the lube points all in the edited Beretta manual, mentioned again elsewhere, and the use of grease stressed repeatedly, it is being reintroduced largely because of a hostile review of which I was reminded.

And there are more notes on the Beretta/Winchester parts which I was beginning to identify by 1998. Yes, those narrow profile gas cylinders marked "PB", as well as the milled trigger guards, are indeed part of the U.S. shipment to Italy, and yes, Winchester is their "original manufacturer". And now it is unanimous: Neither Breda nor Beretta used the legendary but largely fictional Winchester "machines" as anything but a template for constructing their much more modern tooling. These things were all in hand early on, but again, "fell through the cracks". There is now, by the way, much more corroboration.

And again, I never intended them to be industrial histories, albeit they can supplement such volumes.
                    Last edited by jimthompson502002; 06-26-2019, 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• steelap
                      • Oct 2009

Jim,

Is Leroy Thompson any relation?

I went onto Amazon to look for the new editions, and one of the items that popped up was The M1 Garand by Leroy Thompson, due out 22 May 2012.

Oh, and your new editions aren't there yet, unfortunately.

Comment

• JumpingJackFlash
                        • Nov 2010

Well... I myself will finally be the happy owner of my first M1 Garand in the next few days. It will be an HRA SG. I had just missed the last batch before they went off the sales page, so I'm really looking forward to it. As such, I will be looking to get some relevant books. I will look into perhaps getting a copy of your most recent printing.

As many said previously, it's cool that you actively participate in the forum. Not everyone gets the privilege to talk directly to authors.

Comment

• jimthompson502002
                          • Nov 2009

No LeRoy Thompson I am aware of. But then my old man's side of the family is kind of fragmented--in that they pretty much hated each other.

The new edition won't be announced except in here. They don't want to inhibit sales of extant inventory.

Amazon and B&N won't even notice or, probably, know, let alone note the differences.

Comment

• mnhusker
                            • Oct 2009

Jim:

When is the updated version to be available?

B&N and Amazon show only the 1998 and 2001 versions in print, with a 2010 Kindle edition.

Do you sell them directly on e-bay?

John

Comment

• jimthompson502002
                              • Nov 2009

As noted, none of the big vendors will announce ANYTHING. And the 1998 and 2001 dates are introduction dates. It is not in their financial interest to note updates, nor does any other vendor.

I do absolutely nothing on EBAY, and never will. ( UPDATE: After a long absence, in order to help with the sale of an estate with LOTS of camera equipment and optics, I went back on EBAY. I am still there, and as of now, do sell book sets there. However, getting one direct through me, here, is slicker and cleaner.) I do have setups on AuctionArms and GunBroker.

The only Kindle version with which I am familiar is a spinoff of the original 1998 printing of THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND, as discussed elsewhere in this thread. Printings do NOT change the copyright date, they are two entirely separate matters. In short, any Kindle version of which I know is now 14 years out of date, unless it has been changed. And again, no vendor/business will announce revisions or printings, for very obvious reasons already discussed.
                              Last edited by jimthompson502002; 06-21-2016, 06:42 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• jimthompson502002
                                • Nov 2009

On the latest ones, the front sight width chart has been reintroduced, and I suspect they're going to FINALLY get the "grease points" in a sidebar in the manual area.

Comment

Working...
                                X