X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hd89044
    • Mar 2010

Remington 513T bolt comes out when ejecting round

My Remington 513T bolt comes out of the receiver every time a cartridge is ejected. Everything else works fine. This rifle is new to me and I have hopes that my club can use it for Junior Members who cannot tolerate the M1 Garand rifle. If I cannot get this to work properly I will sell as my Club, Military Arms needs a working small bore rifle.
    Last edited by hd89044; 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM. Reason: added more info.
    John Murphy
    Retired US Army Officer
    Military Police Corp (CID)
  • BRMPCF50
    • Dec 2013

Are you releasing the trigger before operating the bolt? The 513T bolt is removed by holding the trigger back while pulling the bolt back.

Comment

• hd89044
      • Mar 2010

No. Trigger is released before working the action. Pressing the trigger will allow the bolt to be inserted back into the action. Frustrating.
      John Murphy
      Retired US Army Officer

Comment

• hd89044
        • Mar 2010

Remington 513T

John Murphy
        Retired US Army Officer

Comment

• hd89044
          • Mar 2010

John Murphy
          Retired US Army Officer

Comment

• hd89044
            • Mar 2010

I have seen a post that says that the problem is with the sear. Probably someone has messed with it. I ordered a complete trigger/sear assembly. I hope I can reinstall properly.
            John Murphy
            Retired US Army Officer

Comment

• hd89044
              • Mar 2010

I've purchased a complete trigger/sear assembly from SARCO. I need to figure out how to remove & install the new one. It was not expensive (about $30). It just came in the mail today. If anyone as a link to where I can find instructions about disassembly/reassembly, I would be appreciative. What I have been told is the reason the Remington 513T comes out of the receiver is due to a faulty sear. I will update this thread when i figure out the next move.
              John Murphy
              Retired US Army Officer

Comment

• BRMPCF50
                • Dec 2013

I have a Remington Service Manual for the 513T circa 1963. (Seven pages of text (!).)

Also have US Army Technical Manual TM 9-1005-206-14P/4, Operator, Organizational And Field Maintenance Repair Parts and Equipment for Commercial Rifles

Neither is especially helpful. Combined they might be of some help. The Remington SM is mostly text, the USA TM is lists of parts and drawings. The TM has a great exploded view of the receiver and trigger group.

I'd be happy to send you a .pdf of the Remington Service Manual. The TM you should be able to find on line, but I should also send you a pdf of the two pages covering the trigger group.

From the Remington SM:

Trigger Cushion Spring (Part 491)
                Unscrew the trigger cushion spring screw and remove the trigger cushion spring assembly

Trigger Cushion Spring Housing (Part 124)
                Loosen trigger cushion spring housing lock nut and unscrew the trigger cushion spring assembly from the receiver.
                Unscrew trigger cushion spring retaining screw and remove trigger cushion spring and trigger cushion spring plunger from trigger cushion spring housing.

Safety
                Unscrew safety screw located on the right side of the receiver and lift off safety lever.
                Push safety into receiver from hole in right side of receiver and remove through rear of receiver.

Ejector
                Remove ejector screw from left side of receiver.
                Remove sear pivot screw from left side of receiver, directly back od ejector screw.
                Slide receiver insert, rear forward in receiver and remove ejector.

Trigger Assembly
                Drive out trigger pin.
                Push trigger assembly upward in receiver, feeding sear downward from receiver into magazine opening directly forward of trigger opening.
                Grasp sear and pull trigger assembly from magazine opening.

Trigger Spg. Plunger
                Remove trigger spring plunger and trigger spring from hole in top of trigger.

Magazine Lock
                Unscrew magazine lock screws from bottom of receiver insert, and remove magazine lock.

Receiver insert, rear
                Slide insert from receiver through rear end.

[Reassembly is not quite the reverse. The Remington SM has some tips and techniques. I'll be happy to send you a pdf. But disassembly will get you started...]

Comment

• bobk
                  • Mar 2010

I have seen a number of Rem bolt action 500 series with that problem and from my experience with them the problem seems to originate with a slightly bent ejector. The ejector is screwed in place besides the rear receiver block and the bolt rides over it when the bolt is moved rearward, so if the ejector happens to get a little bent to the left, as the bolt rides over it the ejector can then miss the rim of the fired cartridge and it will not eject and some shooters then think the answer is to slam the bolt back harder and then after a lot of slamming the tip of the sear eventually breaks off allowing the bolt then to fall out without holding the trigger down. I have seen a bunch of these rifles like that over the years and have replaced a lot of sear assemblies. Be careful how you replace it as sometimes when you get a new one from Sarco, it has not been ground down to fit the rifle and will therefore require some fitting. It is not terribly difficult but does require some attention to detail. If you get a used sear that is good, then you should be good to go. I have even seen parts that came from this supplier that had the tip broken off and obviously did not work. Good luck. Don't get rid of the 513 as they are some of the best rifles for the money and in my opinion certainly worth repairing.

Comment

• ljagdtiger
                    • Oct 2009

513 rifle trigger

Originally posted by hd89044 View Post
                    I've purchased a complete trigger/sear assembly from SARCO. I need to figure out how to remove & install the new one. It was not expensive (about $30). It just came in the mail today. If anyone as a link to where I can find instructions about disassembly/reassembly, I would be appreciative. What I have been told is the reason the Remington 513T comes out of the receiver is due to a faulty sear. I will update this thread when i figure out the next move.
                    Google about the 513 trigger. May get lucky. Smartest thing to do is let your local Gunsmith do the job.

Comment

• BRMPCF50
                      • Dec 2013

See post#8.

Private message me with your e-mail address and I'll be happy to email you pdfs of the relevant pages from the Remington Service Manual and the US Army Technical Manual TM 9-1005-206-14P/4, Operator, Organizational And Field Maintenance Repair Parts and Equipment for Commercial Rifles

Comment

• navyrifleman
                        • Oct 2009

I have a few Remington 513-T rifles and have seen this same problem on some of them. I think that the problem could be with the bolt itself. If you look at the bottom of the bolt (when handle is up and ready to draw bolt back) you might see a small chip at the end of the groove on the bolt where it connects with the sear. That may be causing the bolt to skip over the sear and pull out of the receiver.

On rifles that have that problem, the only solution I have found is to be careful when ejecting the spent shell. Only pull the bolt back lightly, and don't force it with all your might.

Bolts can be switched out with another 513T to see if the problem (of pulling out) repeats, but don't actually fire any shells with the bolt from another rifle unless you check the head space. I have found that some bolts will function mechanically, but fail to fire when switched to another rifle. Also, you might experience blow back from a poorly headspaced bolt.

If your bolt itself is the problem, I do not know if it can be repaired or will have to be replaced. You might ask one of the CMP armorers about it.

Comment

• Atoz
                          • Dec 2009

Had the same problem. Exchanged the bolt with CMP. Took awhile as they had to find similar one to give good head space.

Comment

• navyrifleman
                            • Oct 2009

Here is a link to a Parts List and Operating Instructions for the Remington 513T:

http://gnewyear.com/files/513T-2.pdf

Remington also has original manuals for many of its firearms available at no cost. Simply download them. Here is a link:

https://www.remington.com/support/owners-manuals

Comment

• Slapshot
                              • Oct 2009

Interesting thread. I have an old Remington Model 512 with the same issue described above. When I remove the bolt from the 512 and insert it in my 513, everything works fine. On the other hand, when I insert the 513 bolt into the 512, it consistently comes out when ejecting a cartridge, which indicates it likely isn't a faulty bolt .
                              I think I'll explore the bent ejector issue as described by bobk in a previous post.

Comment

Working...
                              X