View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32sbct View Post
That would be a big help. Thanks

The first thing you want to do is remove the cutoff screw (part 14) in the bottom of the cutoff. Then, try to remove the cutoff spindle (#13). In my case the spindle was welded fast so it was hopeless

Next, remove the bolt internals by flipping the safety up and depress the lock and unscrew. Also remove the trigger and sear so you don’t loose any parts! Ziplock bags are my friends.

Time to cut, here is what mine looked like before any work was done.

To start, I used a Dremel tool with a fiber cutoff wheel and carefully cut to the left side of the hole for the cutoff plunger and spring (parts 16 and 17) to get the parts out of there you need to rebuild.

Next I switched to two tungsten carbide cutters and used them to essentially mill away at the weld and the cutoff until I was able to free the plunger and spring. The tools I used are these and really nothing else.

I used up two of the fiber wheels but buy a bunch as you need larger wheels to get the diameter you need.

Once the plunger and spring were saved I kept working the area to make it larger. I also used a steel punch to work at some of the weld as my weld didn’t have any penetration in places so I could peal some of it from the receiver.

Here is what is left of my cutoff after my carving away at it and the weld to get it out of the way.

So, once you get the cutoff out of the way you can slide the bolt back and forth to see where it is hitting weld. This is MUCH easier to do if you have another 1903 to look at as a reference.

The way I do this is with the same two tungsten carbide cutters and I rest the cutter against the bolt as the bolt is trash anyways. As I got metal worked loose I used a steel punch to break it free.

After a while you will be able to get the bolt moving and see where the weld is still a problem. Just take your time and try not to carve the receiver. Once my bolt was almost free I used a hammer and have it a good wack and it popped right out.

When the bolt is out, get you extractor and pin out of the receiver so you don’t get them with a file later.

Here is what mine looks like at the stage I have described.

And

I had one slip up where the Dremel left chatter marks above the cutoff but they are not deep, still ********ed me off. Otherwise, I have not started the process of now carefully filing or carving the weld that now remains on the receiver.

I also cut carefully around the barrel at receiver about 1/8inch deep and very close without touching the receiver. This is to help reduce the pressure on the face of the barrel so I can pull the barrel off hopefully tomorrow.

For this evening however, my barrel is in a vise and the chamber area is filled with penetrating oil to work on the rust in the barrel threads. See my thread asking for help - that was another 1903a3 driller I am doing at the same time.

I am no expert but so far I haven’t cut any receiver metal so life is good.

The relief cut

Penetrating oil working hard

Note, put the forward action bolt back in and angle the barreled action and you can just fill the action with penetrating oil. If you don’t add the bolt the penetrating oil will leak out or so I learned on my other driller.

Edit:

I spent another hour or so on my welds. I used a cold chisel to get some of the weld along with the Dremel and a couple small files.

I am ready to turn to the diamond bits now to do the final shaping and blend any rough edges but this is close to where I want it. I’ll walk away a day and look at it with fresh perspective but the general shape is there now

Last edited by Quarterbore; 05-18-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts