X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldvetteman
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jpm
    Yes please limit to one per customer so we have a 'shot' at one.
    The National Defense Authorization Act limits sales to 10,000/year. If the US Army transfers 80,000 1911s to the CMP you will have plenty of time to get on the waiting list. Not many potential buyers will be willing to wait years for a pistol. If you don't want to wait, there is always Gunbroker or the Library at Cabelas. You will have choices.
    Last edited by Oldvetteman; 11-26-2015, 04:59 PM.
    Everything I own needs fixin'

Comment

• Quicksilvergoat
      • Aug 2011

10K a year is more than people realize. How many Garands are sold a year?

Comment

• T38Carbine
        • Feb 2010

And we will get a new forum category...1911/1911A1. More good conversations courtesy of the CMP!!

Comment

• dnmccoy
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Quicksilvergoat View Post
          10K a year is more than people realize. How many Garands are sold a year?
          I thought I saw somewhere between 20,000 to 30,000 a year

Comment

• cedbwo
            • Oct 2009

A limit of 10,000 per year will create a wait-list a mile long, even if they limit it to 1 per person. I can hear the whining now...
            "why didn't my order fill? I sent it in the first day."
            "It's been 4 years, where's my pistol?"

My only hope is the shooting community forgets about the 1911's by the time they come up for sale.

Comment

• Ohio Don
              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Oldvetteman View Post
              The National Defense Authorization Act limits sales to 10,000/year. If the US Army transfers 80,000 1911s to the CMP you will have plenty of time to get on the waiting list. Not many potential buyers will be willing to wait years for a pistol. If you don't want to wait, there is always Gunbroker or the Library at Cabelas. You will have choices.
              Depending on the price, I think many will be willing to wait years for one. Although in that case, I think that the oldest by age customers of the CMP might need to get the first shot at them as many of the 80+ year olds deserve a shot at the ones they carried in the service and they will have the shortest chance to enjoy them.

US Army Transportation and Medical Corps Museums Life member

Comment

• Gyrene
                • Mar 2011

Hey Don, I agree. Anyone who was issued one and qualified with it should get first crack. ( thats because I would qualify in that catagory. lol)

Comment

• Road_Clam
                  • Nov 2015

You guys will be your own worst enemy. Your already creating false supply / demand hype and you don't even have any facts. Theres already guys hovering over their laptops with CMP 1911 apps ready to be Fedexed overnight .... Yes I would like a shot at a milsurp 1911 too but no big deal for me, ill wait a few years for the frenzy to subside....

Comment

• satx78247
                    • Dec 2014

To All,

Personally, I'd like to see the 1911 pistols be ONE to a customer & "drawn by lot" so that every eligible person gets a shot at buying one.

Personally, I'd like a 1911A1, US&S like the one that I was issued in 1969. - And since I'll refinish it to LOOK completely GI, I don't even care about finish.

I just hope that this happens before I'm too old to care.

yours, satx

Comment

• microwaveguy
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Oldvetteman View Post
                      What everyone also has to realize is that 10,000/year of pistols that have been used / abused for over the last 70+ years. These will need to be gone over by the CPM and rebuilt to be serviceable. We won't know how many they will have to reject and just make them parts for other pistols. Your NOT getting a unissued 1945 pistol but one that could have been literally dragged through the mud , jungle and sand with enough replacement parts that the only thing left of the original pistol is the frame.

I still would like one as a shooter
                      Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)

Comment

• meplat
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by satx78247 View Post
                        To All,

Personally, I'd like to see the 1911 pistols be ONE to a customer & "drawn by lot" so that every eligible person gets a shot at buying one.

Personally, I'd like a 1911A1, US&S like the one that I was issued in 1969. - And since I'll refinish it to LOOK completely GI, I don't even care about finish.

I just hope that this happens before I'm too old to care.

yours, satx
                        Be careful what you wish for

Comment

• weimar_police
                          • Nov 2012

hah hah - but I saw the TV show about the .45's kept in storage that were like new!

I would expect them to be just like Garands and Carbines, some beat up, many just well used and a few that are like new (refurbished) IMHO

And I laugh when I hear it will be years - given the chance, wouldn't they sell 10k this next year if given the chance? It would be silly to not grab them, go through them and sell. Its all guess work, but I also find it funny at the folks who are saying folks are grasping at straws, but by god have to post their opinions
                          Edward Tinker - Co-Author of Police Lugers & Simson Lugers - Veteran Bring Backs Vol 1-4

Comment

• Manualman
                            • Jan 2013

I wish they included shotguns in that bill. I'd rather have a trench gun

Comment

• Combat Diver
                              • May 2010

Last time I was issued a M1911A1 from the US Army was Dec 14' in Afghanistan (contractor now). SOCOM still has some floating around down range. The condition they were in were excellent. I know as I maintained them as an armorer. I would be interested in how CMP reads the law for sale to FFL and apply to C&R licenses. I got issued my first M1911A1 in 85' and carried them in Iraq 03-08'. The one I had in 08' was actually had a 1916 dated Colt frame!

CD
                              De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03,04,05,06,08 & 09'
                              Astan: 09,10',11'

Comment

• sakorick
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by T38Carbine View Post
                                And we will get a new forum category...1911/1911A1. More good conversations courtesy of the CMP!!
                                We should have a 1911/A1 thread irrespective of the final outcome. The 1911 served the US military longer than any other firearm. I also am looking for a decent Union Switch to round out my collection.

Comment

Working...
                                X