X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ansirem Hunter
    • Dec 2012

First North Store Trip

Thinking about heading up to the North store Saturday to pick out my first garand

Now I'm a bit concerned since I'm not too knowledgeable in the subject and don't have a gauge. I know it's a bit slim pickings on normal sgs but I'm looking for a m1d so I don't think it will be a problem. How helpful are the staff there and do you think I will be able to get a shooter with nice wood?

Thanks,

Ansirem
  • MyTurn
    • Jun 2012

You could hardly ask for nicer and more helpful people then those at the NS! The only problem might be if they get real busy. M1Ds have been plentiful and very nice. They have gauges that you could buy and, maybe, borrow if they aren't too busy.

Comment

• n8huckins
      • Jul 2012

You sir will end up with a great M1D, no problem at all there.

The staff are great, and to be honest some of the best immediate assistance you can get is from guys like us on the sales floor. I myself will be there on Saturday with my father and younger brother, probably around 8:00 am.

All of the rifles are tagged with their gauge reading (and the CMP gauges them conservatively, almost all are better than tagged). You will have no trouble picking out a GREAT shooter with nice USGI wood. I'll help you make sure of it. Don't be a stranger when you show up, talk to anyone and everyone you can. The knowledge is plentiful.

See you there!

P.S. where are you located? how far to the store?

Nate

General George S. Patton, in a letter to his son dated June 6th, 1944:
      "What success I have had results from the fact that I have always been certain that my military reactions were correct. Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct."

Comment

• Ansirem Hunter
        • Dec 2012

Currently coming up from lexington ky

Comment

• n8huckins
          • Jul 2012

Hey that isn't too bad. We're about 4 hours north of the store. GarandGrabber (forum member) is about 2 hours north of me.

I must advise you though, as many here will, to be careful. Once you get that Garand in hand, your life changes. Instant Garanditus!

"What success I have had results from the fact that I have always been certain that my military reactions were correct. Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct."

Comment

• Co2Chief1947
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Ansirem Hunter View Post
            Currently coming up from lexington ky
            I purchased my M1D there in Sept 2012 and everyone from customers to staff was very helpful, my suggestion to you is do your homework on what you want in a M1D with notes to take with you. Create a check list?

Do you want a WW2 SN or postwar, are you searching for original finish over a repark, greek black etc ?

They will all have GI wood but what are you looking for WW2, Postwar or ideally a SA open box RA stock are usuallywhat most say are the most correct for M1D.

What muzzle/throat readings do you want? Most are marked but mine wasn't that day and they checked it at the counter for me as I didn't have a gauge.

The day I was there on my first trip the store was full of rifles I spent 5 hours looking, I believe I picked up every rifle there 3 times but enjoyed every minute of it just wish I didn't live 7 hours away.

Good luck you will have fun picking your M1D rifle thats the easy part then comes the searching for the rest!
            Rich
            CMP Customer
            ITrader 100% Rating for 50+ posts before feedback was removed

Comment

• stu929
              • Jan 2012

If you are going for a sniper thw ns is a good choice. Unless your next choice is a special or service grade special don't bother. There was very little to choose from at the ns on saturday and several racks were empty or almost empty

Comment

• jmiles1960
                • Apr 2011

My son and I are thinking of making a trip to the North store. To buy a rifle or ammo, do you have to be "pre-approved" before purchases are allowed? I am a C&R holder too. I was not sure what the CMP requires. Thanks!

Comment

• n8huckins
                  • Jul 2012

Yes you do. Bring everything with you, and go to the counter right when you walk in. That will get the process going and you should be out of there in no time.

Your C&R counts as firearms/marksmanship activities too

Comment

• stu929
                    • Jan 2012

There was practically nothing left at the north store when I left on saturday.

What are you looking to buy? They have plenty of specials and service grade specials.

Comment

• n8huckins
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by stu929 View Post
                      There was practically nothing left at the north store when I left on saturday.

What are you looking to buy? They have plenty of specials and service grade specials.
                      He said he's looking for an M1D

He will have no problem at all. Tons of beauties there

Comment

• stu929
                        • Jan 2012

Very true I missed that my fault.

I was there late on saturday and outside the snipers specials and SGS... The racks were bare!!!!

But... If a sniper is what he seeks there were lots of nice choices.

Comment

• jmiles1960
                          • Apr 2011

stu929 - I was planning to go just to see what it''s all about. Maybe find something, maybe not. Good excuse for a road trip with my son. Do they typically have ammo (.30 carbine / 30-06) in-stock, rifles? Is it best to call ahead? I'm in Maryland and can make it a weekend or even a day trip.

Comment

• MH53Gunner
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by jmiles1960 View Post
                            stu929 - I was planning to go just to see what it''s all about. Maybe find something, maybe not. Good excuse for a road trip with my son. Do they typically have ammo (.30 carbine / 30-06) in-stock, rifles? Is it best to call ahead? I'm in Maryland and can make it a weekend or even a day trip.
                            A trip is always rewarding. Best to check with the store about ammo in stock.
                            Stock of ammo is sometimes hard to judge. They may report they have ammo in stock and someone with deep pockets purchases large quantities.
                            You should be able to make the trip in less than 7 hours.

Please post pics if you end up getting a rifle.

Comment

• stu929
                              • Jan 2012

I'm in md as well from you its about 6.5 each way nice ride easy ride. lots of tolls but a great trip.

not trying to discourage you just saying the picking were very very slim that's all.

hate for you to make a trip and not have anything to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X