View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 09:09 AM

You could put me down for a couple of 03-A3 barrels in 6.5x55 Swede! I have had several pre-war 1903 sporting rifles in 7x57 Mauser and .256 Newton, all of which were sweet shooters and a pleasant alternative to the .30-06 for casual shooting. With that in mind, I can only imagine the kind of accuracy that a dedicated target shooter could achieve.

Short-chambered would be the only way to sell them, just like the U.S. military did with arsenal replacement barrels. Otherwise, the customer will need a handful of spare bolt bodies on hand for trial fitting in order to get the headspace to field spec, much less close enough for target use. This would also give customers more lee-way when fitting the new barrel to a receiver that may be in less-than-pristine condition, such as a recycled sporter or drill rifle.

And yes, there are plenty of 6.5 Swedish gauges and finish reamers around, at least for people who are into the cartridge. Also keep in mind that in most cases, finish reaming a short-chambered barrel on a 1903 or 03-A3 action is literally a 15-minute job with simple hand tools.