View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Dishwasher test

I have read on forums (so it has to be true?) that a dishwasher is a good tool to clean stocks.
Since Zvenowife is thankfully a "thing" of the past I decided to test it out; she didn't take the dishwasher (surprisingly).
I selected 3 random stocks that looked typical of the group. Some had Proof-P's but I couldn't find any other useful features (other than the fine checkering).
I removed the top rack and crossed the 3 stocks inside, no issues fitting them. I used Reva liquid detergent (Aldi), full amount. I ran through 1 cycle, set at: Heavy wash, High Temp Wash and NO for Heated Dry. I removed after the wash was complete. I see nothing left in the dishwasher, so you married guys may be safe; run a cycle and put some lemon something in to be safe. No warranty implied.
Here are the results, judge for yourself.
I will try a new format; a before and after picture for each shot.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

Another before

After

The stocks felt "gritty" and did not seem to be as clean as my regular water-based degreaser cleaning. So another test:
I rubbed a paper towel on one from the dishwasher; it has dried for 4-5 days, otherwise nothing done.

I did the same thing (except rubbed longer) on one previously cleaned using 1 session of Purple Power and scrubbing sponge:

Here is another comparison. The middle stock in the photos has some good detail I will use 1024 pixels wide; sorry for the mobile viewers.
BC (before cleaning) is top, AD (After Dishwasher) is bottom. Yeah, I saw that.

My conclusion:
1. This is not a replacement for hand cleaning. These will need to have a scrub session with purple power.
2. This did not destroy the dishwasher (I DID NOT try the foreign made stocks I received, they have a coating of grease. I'm not that stupid.).
3. This did not remove the cartouches.
4. This did raise some of the dents and dings.

Your results will vary, based on detergent, temp of dishwasher, etc. Original condition is always the key, garbage in, less smelly garbage out. The internet told me not to use the heated dry (and that makes sense). When I took them out, immediately after the wash ended they were wet, not dripping, and dried overnight fine. I would wait a few days before working on them, no different from my regular scrub. So I see no need to risk the heated dry, but that may steam out some more dents? I'll probably try one to see, someday.
For what it's worth I have only tried to steam dents with an iron once and wasn't impressed. I may try it again with one of these. Stocks with character are to my liking.

JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 05-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.