View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 10:13 PM

I'm going down the list of GSM rifles to encourage all of you to experience everything the CMP Games matches have to offer. The whole ball of wax is the aggregates of 3 gun, and now 4 gun with the addition of the Modern Military rifles. In my opinion , it's the best reason (ahem...excuse) to buy more interesting old rifles, and give them a real job to do again. Get the whole set and help a new shooter by loaning a gun so they can get in the agg too.
You need a Springfield! It can be either a 1903, or 1903A3. The 1903 rifles must have a serial number over 800,000 for Springfield Armory rifles, and above 285,507 for Rock Island rifles. Anything below these numbers are "low number" rifles and are not permitted. No point in debating it. It's just the rules.
The big question is which one is best ? As far as accuracy goes, they are the same provided they have good barrels, and the stocks fit correctly. One indicator of a correctly fitted stock is to look at the receiver tang. It should be below flush behind the receiver, and have a small gap between the tang and the wood. If you have a Springfield that doesn't shoot well, it's probably the stock fit causing it.
I have seen more exploded spindles in the pits from Springfield's than any other rifle. With that being said, each time I have witnessed such amazing accuracy it is usually from an 03A3.
While the 1903 can be more precise with sight changes in elevation (only with a sight micrometer), the A3 is more precise with windage. The fact that the rear sight of the A3 is at the rear of the receiver, closer to the eye, is an advantage for the A3. No matter which one you have, I highly recommend the USMC.100 wide front sight. The super skinny standard front sight, often rounded from decades of leaning in a corner, is not conducive to front sight focus critical for high scores.
Saving rounds in the rapid string is the most common reason for not making the medal cut with the Springfield. You really have to spend time with it and practice, or you won't be ready. The critical part is the bolt lift on a spent round, and the reload from a stripper clip. Using a lighter spring in the bolt will help a lot, and get some stainless steel strippers with the flat spring that are more slippery with clean shiny ammo. Don't use brass that's been beat up from the Garand because irregularities in the rim will cause ammo to stick in the stripper. Inspect rapid fire ammo to make sure the rims are free of dents and burs, and always remember to flip the magazine switch to "on" when you hear the command "Is the line ready ?" To place in the 3 gun aggregate, you must master the Springfield. People that do can take pride, and honor the fighting men that used them to win WWI, and WWII. You can't go wrong by getting an 03A3 from Creedmoor Sports. I witnessed Dennis DeMille set the record of 297 with one of them.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.