• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toubo
    • May 2012

Schuster Adjustable gas plug

Hi Guys, I'm a newbe to this forum. Can someone tell me the quickest
    and easiest way to keep the Schuster adjustable gas plug clean. I've read about using different size drill bits. Seems like there should be a better way to
    keep after it before you get to thge point where you need to start running
    bits through it. Be gratefull for any suggestions.
  • X Hunter
    • Oct 2009

Never used the Schuster so I'm guessing at what would make things easier for you. Would a set of welding tip cleaners work?
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbing-torches-soldering-irons/lincoln-electric-tip-cleaner-oxygen-acetylene-torches-117469.html

Comment

• musketjon
      Banned
      • Oct 2009

How about getting M1 rifle-friendly ammo and ditching the Schuster. I've been shooting the M1 rifle for over 30 years and have NEVER had any plug other than the standard M1 gas cylinder plug and also have NEVER had problem one. I use the proper ammo and so should you. With the M1 rifle reloading is almost a "must".
      Jon

Comment

• J.R.2009
        • Oct 2009

Yeah, Jon, I have a Schuster. It is one of the MUST HAVE gadgets some of us nuts have got to try. I don't see any real advantage in it or the "other" type that is just hollowed out in the back to give move volume for the gas to move into.

IF things ever got so back in this country and we were scrounging around looking for 30-06 ammo ( for what ever reason ) and didn't reload the plugs would/might come in handy and keep the old Garands working. I'd also have my AR ready to go.

All that said. Want to clean your Schuster plug? Its simple. Get an old pill bottle, if you are my age you should have plenty of these around, fill it with a good bore cleaner, like Hoppe's #9, drop your plug in it and let it soak for a day or two.
        You need to do this after every time or two or the carbon will build up and you will have to dig it out. This is where it is a pain in the a s s to have one of the "adjustable" type plugs. The Garand Gear "hollow" plug is not so bad, it will take a ton of rounds to fill it up.
        Like Jon said, there is still a bunch of good ammo you can buy at CMP so stock up.
        I also wonder how many times you can take out the plug until you wear out the threads ??? Mine ( the standard plug ) come out once a year.
        J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]
        I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
        http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
        Gun Owners of SC
        GCA

Comment

• Toubo
          • May 2012

Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug

Thanks for the info guys, I like the idea of soaking it in solvent, good
          idea. I do reload for the Garand and keep the loads at safe levels. But i
          like to be able to control where my emptys drop. The Schuster really helps
          in that way. Also have been shooting all 165's and figure it gives me a little
          more of a safety margin. Speaking of the supply of good surplus ammo,
          I remember back in the 60's buying the surplus '06 loaded in the enbloc
          clips at $5.00 per 80 rds. I would throw the clips away and shoot it in my '03. HA, the good old days! Thanks again guys!

Comment

• 55_grain
            • Mar 2010

Aside from shooting commerial and/or heavy ammo...Does anyone see any accuracy improvement from using the Schuster on their M1?

I tried it with various setings with HXP and couldn't see a repeatable improvement vs the USGI plug.

Comment

• J.R.2009
              • Oct 2009

I have not seen any accuracy changes, good or bad. Keep in mind that all I am shooting is HXP. I do try to keep all the same HS year.
              J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]
              I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
              http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
              Gun Owners of SC
              GCA

Comment

• mousegun
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by 55_grain View Post
                Aside from shooting commerial and/or heavy ammo...Does anyone see any accuracy improvement from using the Schuster on their M1?

I tried it with various setings with HXP and couldn't see a repeatable improvement vs the USGI plug.
                Only reference to accuracy related to an adjustable gas lock screw I can recall was a post on the old forum. I remember that a series of groups were fired at different settings of the screw. The report was that minor changes in group dispersion went from horizontal to vertical over the range of adustment tested.

That's about it.

(o)(O)
                ----0000--(. .)--0000----

Comment

• mtd66
                  • Oct 2009

The McCann plug with the drilled out allen head screws are easier to clean. Just find a piece of wire that fits and give it a few strokes. Plus, you do not need to remove the plug from your M1.

Comment

Working...
                  X