Garand Shooting Locations east of Seattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markvs
    • Jan 2013

Garand Shooting Locations east of Seattle?

Hello,

I live in the Sammamish area and I am perplexed as to where I can go and shoot rifles. For handguns I go to West Coast Armory in Factoria and on a rare occasion I go to the Issaquah Sportsman's Club.

After growing up in North Dakota I have a real hard time in NOT being able to go out target shooting, etc. whenever I feel like it.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Warlock
    • Mar 2010

Montana is east of Seattle. We have plenty of national forest.
    You only think you're alone

Comment

• markvs
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Warlock View Post
      Montana is east of Seattle. We have plenty of national forest.
      Good Point. If a person keeps going and going everything is east.

One of the drawbacks in living in a metropolitan area...... No place to shoot except for a few very pricey gun ranges.

All the national forest land in the Cascades (which is just 10 miles east from where I live) is all posted for NO SHOOTING.

Cheers,
      Mark

Comment

• Hilldweller
        • Jul 2012

The Cascades start just east of you ! Been up to Leavenworth (considered moving there) and the local Sheriff up there laughed when we asked where we can shoot. "Just not in m direction!" Pretty much anywhere that's marked (I believe its) green on a forestry map.

Check out your local law enforcement and ask about good locations in the hills near you. They'll be happy to tell you where good spots are.

Remember - pick a good backstop, avoid steel core/AP/mixed metal bullet casings (attracts a magnet) so you don't spark a fire, and food/water. (that's "Garand food" )
        NRA Life Member
        GCA Member
        C&R FFL03 / COE

Comment

• markvs
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Hilldweller View Post
          The Cascades start just east of you ! Been up to Leavenworth (considered moving there) and the local Sheriff up there laughed when we asked where we can shoot. "Just not in m direction!" Pretty much anywhere that's marked (I believe its) green on a forestry map.

Check out your local law enforcement and ask about good locations in the hills near you. They'll be happy to tell you where good spots are.

Remember - pick a good backstop, avoid steel core/AP/mixed metal bullet casings (attracts a magnet) so you don't spark a fire, and food/water. (that's "Garand food" )
          Washington is an interesting state that is essentially split into two parts by the Cascade range. The west side, aka the Wet Side, or the Liberal Side is NOT very friendly to gun owners like the east side of the mountains, aka the Dry Side, or the Conservative Side. It truly is a remarkable geographic line that splits the weather and politics.

Leavenworth is on the Dry Side.

Also..... douglas fir and cedar on one side versus pine on the other.

Thanks for the ammo heads-up.

Comment

• Warlock
            • Mar 2010

Ok, now for the helpful answer. My son went to school in Seattle for a couple of years, I know one of his friends is a shooter. I will ask my son to contact his friend to find the better ranges to go to. I will get back to you.
            You only think you're alone

Comment

• markvs
              • Jan 2013

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

• Hilldweller
                • Jul 2012

Okay, I'll actually try and be helpful.....

Have you seen this? Just did a google search. Might help.

http://www.waguns.org/rangemap.html
                NRA Life Member
                GCA Member
                C&R FFL03 / COE

Comment

• markvs
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Hilldweller View Post
                  Okay, I'll actually try and be helpful.....

Have you seen this? Just did a google search. Might help.

http://www.waguns.org/rangemap.html
                  No, I've never seen this despite all my various Internet searches.

This is just what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Mark

Comment

• freeamerica
                    • Oct 2009

I put in a 10 year stint in the hell that I refer to as the Seattle area...

The closest option for you is probably the Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club in Fall City. It is private, members only, but relatively easy to join. http://www.svrifle.com

The range in Kenmore is a really nice facility and is open to the public.

There are lots of other options for ranges if you are willing to drive a little bit - Snohomish, Bellingham (Plantation), Marysville, Covington...

The closest range that offers CMP matches is in Puyallup - Paul Bunyan Range.

And of course if you are willing to actually go East of the Cascades, there are lots of options. I'm a match director at Lewis Clark Wildlife Club in Lapwai, ID (about 30 min from Clarkston WA). We'd love to have a Wet-sider at a match.

Comment

• markvs
                      • Jan 2013

Thanks.

Yes, Snoqualmie if very close to where I live so I will check it out.

"We'd love to have a Wet-sider at a match." I'd love to get over there...... and would you believe it's raining here?

Comment

• Spreader
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by markvs View Post
                        Washington is an interesting state that is essentially split into two parts by the Cascade range. The west side, aka the Wet Side, or the Liberal Side is NOT very friendly to gun owners like the east side of the mountains, aka the Dry Side, or the Conservative Side. It truly is a remarkable geographic line that splits the weather and politics.

I don't think it has to do with liberals and conservatives. I think it has more to do with the fact that just about every location on the West side that you could at one time shoot outdoors (national forest, logging sites, etc) has been trashed. People take televisions and other random appliances out to the woods to shoot, then leave garbage and spent casings everywhere.
                        The areas that I hunt are mainly logging sites that post signs prohibiting shooting, but they will allow hunters to use the land. A manager told me that his employees have been in the line of fire too many times.
                        That tells me it's not about the guns, it's about the individuals who are using them.

There are always those who screw it up for the rest of us, and there seem to be a lot of them.

Comment

• markvs
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Spreader View Post
                          I don't think it has to do with liberals and conservatives. I think it has more to do with the fact that just about every location on the West side that you could at one time shoot outdoors (national forest, logging sites, etc) has been trashed. People take televisions and other random appliances out to the woods to shoot, then leave garbage and spent casings everywhere.
                          The areas that I hunt are mainly logging sites that post signs prohibiting shooting, but they will allow hunters to use the land. A manager told me that his employees have been in the line of fire too many times.
                          That tells me it's not about the guns, it's about the individuals who are using them.

There are always those who screw it up for the rest of us, and there seem to be a lot of them.
                          Hi,
                          The wet side/dry side, liberal/conservative side statements are only meant as humor and are of course generalizations.

You are correct about a few people ruining it for all. I believe that is what happened at the Tinkham site. I can't recall if it is National Forest that it is on, but it was closed partially due to the rampant littering and disregard for safety.

Cheers,

Mark

Comment

• luigi
                            • Mar 2011

you can also go to the top of this page....hit Clubs...then Find A CMP Affiliated Club

type in your state and give list of gun clubs.

Comment

• markvs
                              • Jan 2013

I tried out the Tacoma Sportsman Club, south of Puyallup on Meridian, yesterday.

It's a great location for shooting rifles with "target stations" at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards.

Cost was $10 to use both the rifle and the handgun ranges which is very reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                              X