X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stratocaster
    • Oct 2009

M1 Carbine question: shoots way to the right

A very nice looking Inland M1 carbine followed me home from the gun show this past Saturday. Very minty, nice rebuild in a replacement IO stock set. This is not a CMP gun but was imported by Davidson many years ago. I could not resist buying from the older gentleman who was carrying it around with the For Sale sign sticking out of the muzzle. I got it cleaned up and out to the range on Sunday.

Getting it zero'ed at 100 yards required cranking the rear sight almost all the way to the left side. The rear sight assembly is staked perfectly centered on the receiver and it did zero with one click to spare. No problem, good to go. Right?

So here's my question. Would a military armorer normally correct this if it came in for depot level maintenance?
    Last edited by stratocaster; 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM.
  • cast1903
    • Oct 2009

All my carbines are cranked way to the right.

Comment

• J.R.2009
      • Oct 2009

My guess is you'll have a ton of answers when the pro's get off work today. However, one of the first things that one might ask, is the barrel indexed properly? Pull the action out of the stock. There are index marks on the barrel and receiver (the too fine lines etched on both.) are they lined up? If not that could be the problem. It doesn't take much of a misalignment to be off a good bit at 100 yds.
      BTW, how much is a lot off at 100 ?
      J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]
      I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
      http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
      Gun Owners of SC
      GCA

Comment

• stratocaster
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by J.R.2009 View Post
        My guess is you'll have a ton of answers when the pro's get off work today. However, one of the first things that one might ask, is the barrel indexed properly? Pull the action out of the stock. There are index marks on the barrel and receiver (the too fine lines etched on both.) are they lined up? If not that could be the problem. It doesn't take much of a misalignment to be off a good bit at 100 yds.
        BTW, how much is a lot off at 100 ?
        Way off, like not even on the paper. I finally figured out from the dirt splashes that the rounds were hitting to the right. The carbine grouped pretty well once I got the sight picture figured out. Thanks for the feedback on barrel indexing, I will take a closer look at that. Way beyond my ability to fix however.
        Last edited by stratocaster; 11-22-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• The Original Youngblood
          • May 2010

... Getting it zero'ed at 100 yards required cranking the rear sight almost all the way to the left side. ...
          FWIW, that describes both of my CMP M1 Carbines.
          Original Join Date: 25Mar04

Comment

• 50cal
            • Mar 2010

My m1A1 is the same sight cranked way over for correct sight in at 100 yards.

Comment

• DaveHH
              • Nov 2009

This is always a topic of discussion.

Keeping you head slightly up from the rear sight, looking over the barrel, how do things look? Are they kind of crooked in relation to each other? That is common if they are crooked. It is a combination of faults that add up to crooked front sights, barrels that don't point straight in relation to the receiver etc. This is such a problem on the big M1 rifle that they made the front side adjustable side to side. These carbines were made in a hurry and many had bent barrels right from the factory. They were also poorly indexed so they screw in too far or not far enough. Also most were built with the flip sight and the front sight was adjusted for that. So jamming an adjustable sight into a slot designed for a flip, looking over a bent barrel that isn't indexed properly and we have this situation. And all brands are the same way.

Comment

• robro59
                • Oct 2010

Barrel Indexing

A good way to check the indexing of the barrel to the receiver requires just 2 flat straight pieces of metal-small files will work. Turn the barrelled receiver over so that you are looking at the flat on the bottom of the barrel. Lay (balance) one of the files on the receiver just forward of the trigger housing lug crosswise. Lay the other one on the flat of the barrel crosswise in the same direction. Now looking down the barrel from the back of the receiver, check to see if the files are level with each other. The index marks should line up, but this is a good way to actually check barrel-receiver alignment. I line it up this way when I rebarrel carbines. Maybe this will help you determine the problem.

Comment

• stratocaster
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by DaveHH View Post
                  ...Keeping your head slightly up from the rear sight, looking over the barrel, how do things look? Are they kind of crooked in relation to each other? ...
                  Thanks DaveHH. I gave this a close look and it does appear that the front sight is twisted maybe a degree or so past vertical to the left (screwed in too far). So if barrel indexing is the problem, is this something a good carbine smith could easily fix? Somebody like Robro59 with a receiver vice, barrel wrench, and good machinist eye would probably be the ticket.

But I also believe in leaving well enough alone since it does work as is. This is a 6 digit Inland sn 891xxx, around Sept 1943 receiver production, with an Inland barrel dated 10-43. So it *might* be the original barrel and I would be even less inclined to mess with it.
                  Last edited by stratocaster; 11-22-2010, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• nsjames
                    • Oct 2010

I am somewhat new to the M1, so I may be mistaken, but if you reindex the barrel will it not affect headspace? I guess it's not too much of a problem if you have to turn it into the receiver, as you could finish ream it back to spec. It could be an issue if the barrel must be unscrewed though.

Comment

• musketjon
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2009

The rear sight on my IP carbine is only 2 or 3 clicks from bottoming-out on the left side of the sight. Apparently a quite "normal" situation. The barrel and receiver ARE indexed properly. I'm not gonna' change a thing. It's spot-on at 200 yds and will shoot a sub 5" group all day long at that range as long as I do my part.
                      Jon
                      Jon

Comment

• J.R.2009
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by nsjames View Post
                        I am somewhat new to the M1, so I may be mistaken, but if you reindex the barrel will it not affect headspace? I guess it's not too much of a problem if you have to turn it into the receiver, as you could finish ream it back to spec. It could be an issue if the barrel must be unscrewed though.

If it is just a degree or 2 off I don't think it would be a HS problem. I'd check the HS with a No-Go before I did anything. If it past with flying colors I'd have it indexed and checked again. If it were really close to closing I'd check with a Field gauge. I'm betting it would pass.
                        Of course if it just passed a Field gauge there MIGHT be a HS problem after indexing.
                        J.R.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]
                        I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
                        http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
                        Gun Owners of SC
                        GCA

Comment

• musketjon
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2009

Carbine barrels are simple to R&R and re-index. All you need is a big, well-mounted bench-vise and a BMF Crescent wrench. Ask me how I know this. Just don't clamp the sides of the receiver in the vise or you WILL bend it. Hold it by the front shoulder ONLY and the flats on the barrel. put some soft-jaws in the vise if you have them.
                          Jon

Comment

Working...
                          X