Thread: 22 EIC Matches
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkNavy02 View Post
As far as HM, I've never heard of that as a motivation. Many are just using their regular 22 without an optic. Joe Chang, Rich Kang, John Hollingshead, Jon Eullete, etc.

Can most/all factory 22s hold the 10 ring, sure. The Nelson/FWK/Pardini's I've seen tested had groups significantly smaller than the Rugers frequently, but my Nelson is right up there. My Ruger Mk III has never been close. Are they good enough to get points, again, sure. Most American barrel blanks are just not of the same quality. Are they good enough, again, sure.

Follow the red arrows (taken from a Master Gunsmith(Guild)/Bullseye Builder)

Bottom right: S&W 41 shows a small dimple from a stamped letter on the bottom. Heavy land to groove ratio and the tight bore less apparent.

Bottom left: High Standard barrel shows excellent well defined chamber, but the barrel ocking lug drill almost entered the chamber. Nice gentle lead angle.

Center right: S&W Model 41 which shows distinct variations in bore dimension (shadows)

Upper left: Another S&W Model 41 with a poorly cut chamber face, and an abrupt 5 degree lead angle . The radius extractor relief is very easy to see, and visualize/imagine the extractor problems these cuts can cause.

Top center: Ruger. No distinct chamber at all, just a hole. Rugers are testimony to the inherent accuracy of the 22 cartridge.

Top right: Lothar Walther, blurred but an example of the precise rifling and low land to groove ratio is apparent

Orthopedic grips should be fit and shouldn't be so tight that some snacks result in a poor fit.

Also, what hasn't been discussed is reliability. Pardini and Feinwerkbau are usually excellent. M41s often get a trip to the Doctor enough that some great gunsmiths making a living fixing M41s, see the link below. Again, I think they're the best American 22 made, they work great with CCI SV, which is cheap and they're a solid pistol that feels similar to a 1911. Even with a $250 package to get them squared away and another $300 for a blank you're well under a European target pistol with absolutely the same accuracy, but without the adjustment, which many don't care about anyway. Not sure you'll be able to recover those investments however.

http://kcskustomcreations.com/kcs-kustom-creations/

A downside to the high end European pistols is the expensive ammunition they prefer. The Ruger, Buckmark, M41 will often shoot very well with CCI SV. The Pardini/FWK/Hammerli seem to mandate the Eley/Lapua for reliability/accuracy. Significant cost to any/new shooter.

Personally I have a Nelson conversion, McMillan barrel, and use a dedicated lower. I can pull the rail off and use open sights, which I have attached to a dedicated barrel so I don't have a change in zero.
Lots of great options out there and many under $400 to $500. I very much like the Bukckmarks as a great starter pistol, especially with the spring flip.
My goal here wasn't to disparage European pistols, and my apologies if I offended anyone. We are part of the same community, know the same people, and I would never want to insult anyone for the pistol he shoots. My goal was only to assure a new shooter that he had plenty of gun to be competitive.

Would I chose a Ruger if I had a more expensive gun? In .22 EIC I did, but usually I wouldn't, because a more expensive gun can be customized a little for me and it's a little more fun to shoot. My scores typically don't change though with the .22 I shoot.

As far as the MD/VA shooters mentioned, one of them shot a Pardini at a match yesterday because it had "sat in the safe too long". Two of his three mags didn't feed the last round--which is not indicative of Pardinis, but it goes to show any gun can have hiccups. One of the shooters mentioned swore off Hammerlis and sold me his. The last shooter--and this is the only thing I'm going to say that actually matters--bought a $300 Ruger 22/45 and shot it stock with no modifications, and ended up with an 887 (or 889--something like that). It is, and always has been, about the shooter.