X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • N8232J
    • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Poindexterg View Post
    I really don't feel like paying the premium for WRA or IHC when it's going to be a shooter, with a repro stock and a 308 barrel. Just give me a regular old HRA or SA receiver.
    They did. Did you buy one?

Now it's time for those who WILL pay a premium for WRA/IHC.

Flash: Those will sell out too.

Comment

• Redtail
      • Mar 2018

The "will have considerable pitting above the wood line" description is worrisome. Not a fan of pitted receivers.
      Wish there was a representative pic of a few to judge the lot by.

Comment

• migunshooter
        • Mar 2018

Originally posted by Redtail View Post
        The "Wish there was a representative pic of a few to judge the lot by.
        I am all for this idea a worst, best and average looking pic would be amazing! if they get them in the N store I will take a drive.
        Last edited by migunshooter; 10-11-2018, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• gmerkt
          • Oct 2009

Just my opinion, the $200 receiver premium for a contemporary completely reworked WRA or IHC is somewhat pointless.

Comment

• Poindexterg
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Poindexterg View Post
            I really don't feel like paying the premium for WRA or IHC when it's going to be a shooter, with a repro stock and a 308 barrel. Just give me a regular old HRA or SA receiver.

Not a receiver by itself, but a HRA or SA receiver in a 308 special. I don’t want to pay the premium for a IHC or WRA. The only reason to pay more for those is for collectibility, and there not much extra collect ability in a special grade 308.

Comment

• Shomway
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by migunshooter View Post
              I am all for this idea a worst, best and average looking pic would be amazing! if they get them in the N store I will take a drive.
              Didn't you make the drive yet? A month ago it was posted they had over 50 Field Grade .308 Specials at the North Store to choose from. $400 cheaper than the IHC/WRA Specials.
              http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=234190
              31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
              Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950

Comment

• scout II
                • Oct 2009

I think it strange that the SA or HRA special 308 is listed as a field grade but the WRA and IHC special 308 are not called field grade, even know they have the same exact description.

Comment

• JMR
                  • Feb 2013

I'm glad I got my SA Field Grade 308 a couple of months ago for $400 less.
                  It might be labeled field grade but it looks and shoots great.

Comment

• Me Not You
                    • Jun 2018

CMP Specials

I look at a special as a "depot rebuilt" rifle. It's reasonable to expect the CMP to provide a reliable, accurate rifle that's essentially a new M1 built on an inspected, gauged receiver with no stress cracks or problems with the firing pin not being restrained when the bolt is out of battery. I would prefer no pitting, but it would be more cosmetic than anything.

I found a few pits on my .30-06 special and don't care a bit. It's my favorite rifle.
                    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• jailbirdwatcher
                      • Jul 2010

In ten or fifteen years these will be collectibles, too. These days folks are snapping up the arsenal rebuilds from the 1960's that the old line purists had no interest in. Someday there will be collectors accumulating all the different varieties of CMP Specials. Pristine examples will be rare as most purchasing them want "shooter rifles". Remember where you heard it first!

Comment

• Me Not You
                        • Jun 2018

Jailbirdwatcher, you will almost certainly be proven right. I'm a user, not a collector, but I am constantly amazed at what gets considered "collectable" and what collectors do.
                        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• Coltgrabber
                          • Jan 2015

I looked at and agonized about buying one of these while at the GCA meeting. The IHCs looked better than the WRAs (metal finish) a little on the dark side) but both looked good. Just couldn't get up off of $1250 for one, when the FGs were only $850, $400 less.
                          NRA Life Member
                          Ohio Valley Military Society Life Member
                          Retired LEO (Memphis Police/Inspector for Dept. Veterans Affairs, Office of Security & law Enforcement)
                          405th Air Police Sq., USAF
                          Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)

Comment

• N8232J
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Coltgrabber View Post
                            I looked at and agonized about buying one of these while at the GCA meeting. The IHCs looked better than the WRAs (metal finish) a little on the dark side) but both looked good. Just couldn't get up off of $1250 for one, when the FGs were only $850, $400 less.
                            It's easy to justify.

In a few weeks the $400 will be long gone spent on frivolous stuff like food and shelter. You'll have the rifle forever.

Just buy one.

Comment

• jailbirdwatcher
                              • Jul 2010

N8232J is correct. The rifles are really nice, and they shoot very well.

Comment

• pavil58cm
                                • Oct 2009

I'll be interested to see what gets delivered to me in a few weeks. I went ahead and ordered one of the Winchester variants. I'll sell some of my other rifles to fund it. Am going to try and post pictures when it does arrive.

Comment

Working...
                                X