X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SA1942
    • Apr 2016

Place to install a M1A barrel?

Can I get some recommendations on a gunsmith to install a M1A barrel? Ran into a guy over the weekend at the old gun shop I use to work for and he bought a kit with a receiver for cheap. The guy lives in Iowa and the gunsmith he took it too didn’t have the vice blocks to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy
  • stripper clip
    • Nov 2010

I would recommend Chuck Moline in Colorado (720-841-1399) or Jim Gravitt in Illinois (309-475-2502). I have had both rebarrel for me and have been more than happy with the quality results.

Comment

• SA1942
      • Apr 2016

What is the going rate for barrel install on a M1A? I had orion7 install a barrel for me and it was reasonably priced I thought.

Comment

• SA1942
        • Apr 2016

For a garand. Should clarify.

Comment

• GotSnlB28
          • Oct 2010

Ted Brown / shooters den. Ted barreled up mine and fit the bolt, nice job.

Comment

• ceresco
            • Oct 2009

This may offend purists, but any "gunsmith" or advanced hobbyist should be able to install and finish chamber a M1A barrel. No special tools required. Good Shooting. ..

Comment

• Ted Brown
              • Nov 2012

"No special tools required" ? Do you use a bench vise and a monkey wrench?

Comment

• 4gun-drill
                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ceresco View Post
                This may offend purists, but any "gunsmith" or advanced hobbyist should be able to install and finish chamber a M1A barrel. No special tools required. Good Shooting. ..
                Well you probably don't need a torque wrench to rebuild a motor either. But I would fire any mechanic that I caught not using one.

Comment

• ceresco
                  • Oct 2009

Well, purists: Any barrel vise. A large crescent wrench will work, but I use aluminum blocks cut to fit and a 4 foot tap wrench on the receiver. I do have the M1 barrel vise...actually two of them. My improvised tools work fine and I have removed and barreled hundreds of rifle. So fire me. Good Shooting. ...

Comment

• SA1942
                    • Apr 2016

Thanks to all who have responded. I have passed the info along to the owner. I had him send me pictures of the receiver because he indicated that the receiver was a Fulton Armory but was stamped as a Armscorp. After looking over the pictures, it looks like it was a Fulton Armory and the heal was ground down. After it was ground it was restamped. Anyone familiar with that? Found it pretty odd.

Comment

• Deuceguy
                      • Mar 2010

If you don’t know anyone local and don’t want to take a chance doing it yourself, send it to someone recommended in this thread. While not hard, and it can be done without proper tools, don’t take a chance on just anyone. Even gunsmiths mess up.

Comment

• bobk
                        • Mar 2010

Having a ground down receiver heel and restamped sounds suspect. I would really check into that.

Comment

• mac1911
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ceresco View Post
                          Except a finish reamer, barrel vice and receiver wrench oh and head space gauges. Agree though it’s not overly complicated.

Comment

• mac1911
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Deuceguy View Post
                            If you don’t know anyone local and don’t want to take a chance doing it yourself, send it to someone recommended in this thread. While not hard, and it can be done without proper tools, don’t take a chance on just anyone. Even gunsmiths mess up.
                            How can you do it with out proper tools? Typo ?

Comment

• Deuceguy
                              • Mar 2010

What is the going rate for spinning on barrels anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X