View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 11:44 PM

Default M59/66A1 Yugoslav SKS

I got this from Century about 2005 or so? Well used, but compared to the beaver gnawed Chinese SKS's that are available now it is fine.
The M59 is the Yugoslav version of the SKS, pretty much an SKS made in Yugoslavia, barrels are generally not chromed, otherwise the same.
The M59/66 added a NATO spec grenade launcher (yes NATO spec on a ComBloc design). The design included a gas system cutoff; to raise the grenade sight the gas system must be cut off, fairly soldier-proof.
The M59/66A1 added flip up glow in the dark sights, 2 dots on the rear leaf and one dot on the front post. They may have still glowed in the 70's? I don't think I have ever shot it.
This was in fine condition, as seen in the pics. The bore was very difficult to clean, I scrubbed with just about every chemical I could find, each had some effect!
All I did to the wood was clean it with water based degreaser and a scrubby sponge, a few sessions. It is clean, but the grain is course and dark so it almost looks iike it has soaked up grease and crud; I think the wood just looks like this. Then 2 coats of fairtrimmers to accent the wood grain (I did not see it have much of an effect; worth a try). Then about 6 or so coats of BLO/Turpentine mix scrubbed on with 0000 steel wool, sit for 30-60 min then wipe dry; repeat 1 coat per day. Then about 4 or so coats of pure BLO hand rubbed, sit 30-60, wipe dry. I am not sure of the exact number of coats, working on many rifles this week, and didn't keep up. BLO/Turp until the wood looks like it does not need any more (not dry looking) then a few straight BLO coats until it looks good. The stock is rough, I bet the wood would look spectacular if I used a vibrating sander and took it from 100 grit up to 400-600 or so, but I'll keep this Milsurp un-pimped. It has a few dings and scratches, nothing but soldier use.
I have a bag of Turk M1 Garand slings I got at the SS; several were clearly one-off soldier modified scraps so I pieced together a sling that looks like some I have seen on websites for the M59/66s. A unique web sling seems most common but until one falls from the sky this will do.
Here is the result.
JH
[IMG]DSC_3987 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC_3983 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC_3988 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC_3989 by MrJHassard, on Flickr[/IMG]