View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 03:50 PM

More repair:
I had a small chip come out when I was removing an escutcheon and there was a split from one of the ramrod pipe pins.

[/url]

I cleaned with MEK and a patch again, prying open the split with a small screwdriver.
I mixed some epoxy and used a toothpick to get in all the cracks, coating generously. This time I tested the clamping before beginning. Once clamped I used a wet paper towel to wipe up the excess epoxy.

[/url]

I think this wood will look impressive once oiled and cured.
[/url]

I found one more crack. I couldn't get it to close up using moderate pressure, nor could I get it to open. I cleaned as best I could with MEK then when dry I filled with CYA. I rarely use CYA on wood (many swear by it; to me it's too brittle) but for this I'm sure it will be fine.

FYI:
CYA is cyanoacrylate. I use "regular"; no need for extra thin or extra thick for this use. Just buy it at walmart, wherever.
MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone; don't breath it or get it near any plastic. It was handy, there are many other cleaners or solvents you could use.

Regarding glues: There are as many threads on glues as there are opinions on how to "fairly" sell CMP 1911s.
Most will work fine, just research and pick one or two (no one glue is perfect for all repairs); the key is don't use one that is inappropriate.
Inappropriate could be:
  • Assuming all glues are the same.
  • Using any glue without clamping. Immovable repairs will move while curing; ask Murphy. I placed a screw clamp on the buttstock crack in case the CYA expanded (I don't think it can, but I have no shortage of clamps)
  • CYA on a high stress, high shock area (like gluing a stock broken in half at the wrist).
  • Using a PVA (Polyvinyl acetate) in an area that will become wet.
  • Using an expanding glue like gorilla glue without spending a great deal of time determining how to clamp the parts so they do not move while curing.
  • Using epoxy on a large repair without considering where it may run (hint: You can make a dam with modelling clay and masking tape to contain it).

JH