View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Every one of these rifles is an individual. What shoots well in one may shoot miserably in the next. There is no one ammunition that is a guaranteed performer in every rifle. Military ammunition seemed to shoot well (because it must), but military ammunition is now scarce.

Bore dimensions are all over the place in these rifles, which wreaks havoc on accuracy. Generally, a bullet which fits the bore tightly will give good accuracy. (None of these rifles show great accuracy, but 2-3 MOA is achievable.) I have had good luck handloading Hornady 0.312" bullets.

Boat tail has no effect on accuracy in and of itself. British boat tailed bullets were in play for a long time, and seemed to satisfy the troops.

There are a couple of ways to attack the problem. The first is to try different ammunition. When you find something you like, buy a lot of it. Since no one has made a rifle in .303 for a long time, the demand for ammunition, and hence the supply and variety of ammunition, will gradually decrease.

Before I shot any new ammunition, I would measure bullet diameter just at the neck. If it measures much less than 0.312", I would not hope for much accuracy.

The other way is to make ammunition. Reload using a variety of bullets. When you find something that works, stick to it and resist the urge to experiment. Cast bullets are favored by some. You can make your own cast bullets, or buy them. Control diameters, 0.312" or a bit larger.
ACEP-certified coach