Opinions on this 3-44 Inland M1 Carbine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herre1kh
    • Feb 2019

Opinions on this 3-44 Inland M1 Carbine?

Hello all!

This is my first post on the forum, and my first foray into the world of M1 Carbines. I was hoping to get some input from you guys (the experts) on a carbine I recently picked up. I've tried to take a bunch of detailed pics which I have uploaded and notated in an imgur album, which I will include the link to at the end of my post.

The carbine in question in an Inland from March of 1944. I strolled into my local gun shop and spotted this beauty, and although I've the farthest thing from an expert on these things, immediately noticed several early features such as the flip sight, lack of bayonet lug, and push button safety. Checked the price tag expecting to be putting it down in disappointment, but saw it was listed at $799. Was filling out the paperwork minutes later.

I've already typed up most of the details and my observations which you will find along with the pictures in the album, so I'll try to keep it brief here. I mainly would like some input on whether or not you think this looks original, or anything that you notice that may be "off" about it. I'm also trying to ascertain it's value, as I would really like to fire it, but if it turns out to be a collector grade of sorts, I'd hate to risk hurting any value there.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to reading your opinions. If you have any questions or require better photos of anything, please feel free to ask.

Here is the link to my album (be warned: somewhat pic heavy)= https://imgur.com/a/ELEW5Wp
  • Maxipum
    • Jun 2018

Nice carbine, difficult to tell from limited photos but I would say it’s correct. I have one very similar 3-44 inland only obvious difference is a round bolt on mine and a Winchester style flip sight. You did very well !

Comment

• Herre1kh
      • Feb 2019

Thanks for the feedback! If there is anything else I can get better pictures of just let me know and I'd be happy to do so if they're needed to tell more about it.

Comment

• GotSnlB28
        • Oct 2010

That's a beauty, and an awesome price. I have one close to yours, and the parts are the same (down to N-A flipper). Sure looks original to me. Nice pick up!!

Comment

• New2Brass
          • Apr 2014

The blue ink has been observed,

It has been speculated it is a Julian date. In this case i would think 59th day of 1944 or 28 Feb 1944

the 5 digit numbers on stocks for Steering Gear have not been figured out

Here is a similar one
          http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...html?KW=julian
          Last edited by New2Brass; 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM.
          Carbine Collectors Club

Comment

• deldriver
            • Sep 2010

Looks good, but whoever put that abomination of an barrel band screw on should be flogged repeatedly.

Btw, I have had two Inland carbines in this serial range, one with an N-A flip like yours and another with an Underwood flip that I still have.
            Last edited by deldriver; 02-07-2019, 02:44 PM. Reason: added more text

Comment

• 6 Ring
              • Apr 2010

Some of the band screws on a type 2 band were not staked as they are on type 3 bands. So hopefully the threads are not stripped in the band nut. With the correct screw, the nut can be staked and threads chased and maybe you can salvage the band.
              Of the Inland 5.0 carbines I have, at least one has a N-A flip rear sight.
              Last edited by 6 Ring; 02-08-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• painter777
                • Apr 2012

Inland or any maker for that matter are so interesting in the Transitional periods.
                I have 2 Inland 5,0..... 1 with .U. original flip, the other with small round S only on flip.

Love the variations you see...... But can't help but think how many were 'Wrongly Corrected' due to the books available years back.

Enjoy your 3-44 Great purchase and Thx for sharing it.

Charlie-P777
                Last edited by painter777; 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM. Reason: Add Wrongly to Corrected
                Living Free because of those that serve.....

Comment

• GotSnlB28
                  • Oct 2010

About shooting it, it boils down to preference. Some will not own a gun they don't shoot. Casual shooting won't hurt value much but there is always the risk of something breaking or cracking, albeit a low risk. My approach is to have both "shooters" and "collectors". I don't shoot my collector grade rifles. They are too hard to come by. Yours is collector grade in my book. But there is no right or wrong answer do as you please.

Comment

• 6 Ring
                    • Apr 2010

P7
                    As far as correcting the 5.0 range, the books are wrong on many parts so one "corrected" will be wrong.
                    They are easy to spot just like the OP's carbine is easy to spot as "nice".
                    Years ago, I read someone had an original IP and he shot it. A few tried to tell him it was a risk. He was adamant that he will continue to shoot it. About four months later, he was looking for an IP bolt. His broke while he was shooting it.

Comment

• Herre1kh
                      • Feb 2019

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I'm definitely a shooter as much as I am a collector, and as happy as I am to hear that it looks pretty good/original, I'm now worried even more about shooting it. Knowing my luck, the first time I fire it the stock will crack or something. Not sure if I should keep forever as a safe queen, or hold it for a bit and perhaps sell it on. I'm not sure how much one in this condition generally goes for anyways, anyone have any ideas there? In my research it seems to vary a lot of course.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts though, I'm definitely learning more about it all the time.

Comment

• painter777
                        • Apr 2012

RM,
                        I just edited my post. After reading I could see where it would/could be mis-leading.
                        It read as if I was referring to the OP's carbine which was not my intention.
                        IMO Some of the books ruined plenty of carbines.
                        Also being considered Surplus years ago, the Sporters caused their share of damage.... unknowingly for some given the times back then.
                        Edit: Did that before refreshing the page and seeing your reply.

I only have 4 or 5 I shoot.
                        I'm lucky to own some 'Nice' carbines and they will stay that way.
                        My shooters....... Get the He!! shot out of them by me, family and friends.

Cheers,
                        Charlie-P777

Comment

• 6 Ring
                          • Apr 2010

Your Inland is still easy to find parts for, so shooting should not hurt it. Just don't let teenagers at it. You don't know what you will get back.
                          My wag on the price is $ 1,350 to $ 1,500. Maybe that is on the low side. Inland carbines are just a little cheaper than most of the others.
                          Last edited by 6 Ring; 02-07-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• painter777
                            • Apr 2012

Herre1kh,
                            If you decide to shoot:

Have the Headspace checked so you know it's safe to shoot.
                            Buy a replacement stock and hand guard and save your current stock set safely.
                            Don't use Bubba's Reloads.
                            Try a mag and inspect your spent brass.
                            You can shoot it safely.

But if your heading out often....3-4 times a week, consider a shooter. Even Imports can make good shooters and save you the worries on denting the stocks or scratching the metal finish.

Around here I'd pay $1200-$1400+ But keep in mind I have 2 very much like yours. Someone who needs to fill that slot may be willing to go much higher.
                            On a GB auction you need bidders that know that 5,0 Inlands can be found with different makers Flip sights.
                            There were times it seems all you could find were Inlands in this serial range.
                            Lately not so many.
                            Try looking at (advanced completed sold) auctions on GB for Inland carbines. You'll get an idea of what good, gooder and goodest carbines are selling for... (Fees not shown).

If mine,
                            I'd shoot to feel the rush and enjoy the smile. Then clean it up spotless and set aside. It will increase in value... no doubts.
                            Then buy a shooter. All in all with what you paid for this one and what it's worth, that difference will buy you a shooter. Note: If you sell it, You WILL regret it down the road.

If your not a collector sell it and buy 2 good mix master shooters.
                            Just keep in mind you don't come across carbines this nice very often.
                            For another group of opinions post over on Milsurps M1/M2 carbine forum.

As always your call. Good Luck with your decision and Thx for sharing it with us.

Charlie-P777

Comment

• Newscotlander
                              • Oct 2009

Nice carbine! The Inlands with the leftover flip sights are an interesting group. Some have been reported with an oval mark or punch mark on the top flat portion of the receiver just in front of the rear sight (see CCNL 361-2). There was no pictures showing this area on your carbine. Could you advise whether there is such a mark on your carbine?

Comment

Working...
                              X