X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Con38
    • Sep 2018

Winchester Magazine in the wrap

Hey guys, wanted some opinions on what this is worth and if the wrapping and label are legit. i picked it up today. thanks for looking!

https://imgur.com/a/vKgqMha
  • Con38
    • Sep 2018

i know the plastic on the outside is new, but i wanted to check to see if anyone knows about the label and wax wrap.

Comment

• Joe R
      • Jun 2010

The orange wax wrap is the real deal......had bunches of those in the late seventies when I start collecting carbines.......always paid a buck a peice!

Comment

• 6 Ring
        • Apr 2010

Our money is devalued by half every ten years. Or another way, the price goes up double every ten years.
        1970 $ 1.00
        1980 $ 2.00
        1990 $ 4.00
        2000 $ 8.00
        2010 $ 16.00
        2019 $ 30.00
        NIW mags are now selling for $ 30.00. The cost of mags has not changed, but the value of a 1970 dollar has declined to $ 0.033.

Comment

• T38Carbine
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Con38 View Post
          i know the plastic on the outside is new, but i wanted to check to see if anyone knows about the label and wax wrap.
          I concur with the above, that NIW carbine mags sell for about $30. My issue is the label and plastic wrap. It’s not common to see the label with manufacturers name on that type of wrap. And since the piece of paper was added, it doesn’t tell me what marking is on the mag inside the oiled paper wrap. Most likely you got your money’s worth but no telling if there’s a Winchester mag inside the oiled paper wrap!

Comment

• New2Brass
            • Apr 2014

$1 in 1970 has the buying power of $6.42 to $6.54 in 2018 according to various inflation calculators.
            This not to say the cost of living has not changed. Some items cost more now and some less when you calculate them.

The carbine and its accessories have since become more collectible hence the higher prices due to demand.
            In the 70s it was sold as surplus.

I only recently started looking into magazines.
            as to the label, I cannot say for sure but the nomenclature is not what I have observed before. Maybe someone can confirm or deny.

here is what I have observed in the past

here is one similar to yours
            Last edited by New2Brass; 01-01-2019, 11:31 AM.
            Carbine Collectors Club

Comment

• 6 Ring
              • Apr 2010

Most COL indicators, exclude this or that. And manufacturing improvements have brought the cost of many items way down, TVs and cars for example. Things that are labor intensive have changed little, like building a house. And anything a government entity says is always suspect. We all know better.
              Gold, a source of value for 3,000 plus years.
              Price of a ounce of Gold in:
              1966 $ 35.00
              1976 $ 70.00
              1986 $ 140.00
              1996 $ 280.00
              2006 $ 560.00
              2016 $ 1120.00
              2018 add 20% for year end, $ 1,344.00
              Price of gold today is $ 1,283.00, so this rough calculation is only off 4.7% over 62 years.
              I think that is close enough for Government work.
              A carbine being "surplus" has nothing to do with the price.
              1962 a NRA DCM carbine $ 20.00 delivered.
              1972 $ 40.00
              1982 $ 80.00
              1992 $ 160.00
              2002 $ 320.00
              2012 $ 640.00
              2018 add 60% % $ 1,024.00
              Nice DCM carbines sell around $ 1,025 delivered now. I am pointing out how the value of the dollar has declined. When you pay people who do not produce anything, that puts a strain on all existing goods and services which causes "inflation" which is a government word for "devaluation" the dollar.
              The "Affordable Care Act" is only affordable to the millions who get it free. I mean who get vouchers. I am just pointing out how the government used words to hide or fool people.

Comment

• T38Carbine
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by 6 Ring View Post
                When you pay people who do not produce anything, that puts a strain on all existing goods and services which causes "inflation" which is a government word for "devaluation" the dollar.
                ^^^^^^^This!!!

Comment

• deldriver
                  • Sep 2010

Never in person, but I have seen magazines in similar wrappings for sale before over the years. They are a bit on the uncommon side though, but may have not been so much decades ago.

Comment

• dnikkor
                    • Oct 2009

I bet it is a UW mag from Union Hardware.
                    Best not opening it to find out though.

Comment

• Con38
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by dnikkor View Post
                      I bet it is a UW mag from Union Hardware.
                      Best not opening it to find out though.
                      Do you think Winchester or Union Hardware would have printed that label?

New2Brass posted a link to a Union Hardware mag on eBay earlier in the thread. it is very similar to mine. I ask because the fonts are slightly different between mine and the UH on eBay.

Comment

• dnikkor
                        • Oct 2009

It most likely would have come from the magazine manufacturer, Union Hardware...assuming I am correct on my UW guess. Different fonts wouldn't be unusual since they were going to different clients.

Comment

• Con38
                          • Sep 2018

the winchester appears much more crisp than the uh, but that makes sense!

Comment

Working...
                          X