X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • holmesgl
    • Apr 2015

First Time Match

So I've been a CMP customer for a few years now, but I'd never participated in a CMP sanctioned match. There either weren't any matches in my area, or I didn't have anyone to really introduce me to the activity, or the Air Force had other plans for my time. Anyhow, work recently brought me to the Kansas City area, and I found that the Pioneer Gun Club of KC hosts CMP matches, so I went out and gave it a shot last Saturday (pun intended).

What. A. Blast. There were sixteen shooters who came out; most had ARs or M1As, but there were five of us with Garands. I had a vague idea of what to expect, but several of the folks there were very helpful in guiding me along where there might have been confusion. Very well-run match and a lovely facility.

I shot a 245-2X. I was kinda hoping for better, but the offhand was awful (one miss, which I still can't believe....everything else was at least comfortably on paper). Just leaves room for improvement I suppose.

Lessons learned:
    -Get out and do it! I grew up shooting for fun with friends and family on the back 40 and didn't think I was missing out on anything. But shooting at 200 yards with 15 other guys on the same firing line, all on the same page, and keeping careful score of every shot puts a whole new spin on the hobby and was a ton of fun.
    -Buy good equipment. After soliciting opinions on this forum and doing extensive reading elsewhere, I purchased a Celestron Regal M2 80ED LER spotting scope and the First Strike spotting scope stand. Do the math, that's about a $900 investment right there, but it was so worth it. There were a couple guys at the match fighting with cheap Bushnell scopes and camera tripods, and I was so happy I made the hefty upfront investment. I guess folks shouldn't let the lack of good equipment keep them from participating (use what you've got), but there is a lot to be said for the "buy once, cry once" mantra.
    -Bring a spare rifle. I had put 40 rounds through the CMP service grade I decided to use for the match the day before (Friday). No issues or problems whatsoever. Less than 24 hours later (on Saturday morning), I get down and I pull the trigger for my first sighter shot and it just goes "click." And again. And again. Long story short, firing pin wasn't denting the primers convincingly. So...that was embarrassing. Thankfully, a fellow competitor did have a spare M1 that he graciously allowed me to shoot, but never again will I go without a spare of my own!

That's about all I can think of. Just thought it might be helpful to share some first-timer experiences with others who might be considering trying out a match. I will definitely be going again!
  • Kerz
    • Jan 2016

Sounds like an excellent start!
    Preparedness + Opportunity = Luck … NRA Benefactor Member … KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Comment

• BuddyBGood
      • Jan 2011

Holmes,good shooting first time,with borrowed rifle.
      Now we are all curious about your rifle fail to fire.
      That's the next stage of shooting garands.Problem solving.
      All the things that happen at a match,"those that have and those that will".
      Make sure your gas cylinder and front and rear sight stay tight.

Comment

• Slapshot
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by holmesgl View Post
        ...There either weren't any matches in my area, or I didn't have anyone to really introduce me to the activity...
        If you ever get back to Hastings, there are several clubs here in SW Michigan that have well attended CMP matches. Sept. 16th Kalamazoo Rod & Gun is hosting a CMP match that will include a cook out. You can shoot multiple relays if you wish with different GSV rifles. We're expecting 30-40 shooters, some of whom will shoot 2-3 rifles.

Comment

• holmesgl
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Slapshot View Post
          If you ever get back to Hastings, there are several clubs here in SW Michigan that have well attended CMP matches. Sept. 16th Kalamazoo Rod & Gun is hosting a CMP match that will include a cook out. You can shoot multiple relays if you wish with different GSV rifles. We're expecting 30-40 shooters, some of whom will shoot 2-3 rifles.
          I would love to come shoot with you guys some day. I'm going to be back up to that neck of the woods for a visit the following weekend, so I'll just miss the 16 Sep shoot unfortunately. But that's where my folks still live, and my dad has long talked about doing one of these as well. Is this your last match of the year?

Comment

• Slapshot
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by holmesgl View Post
            ... Is this your last match of the year?
            Nope. We'll have another CMP/GSV match on Sept. 24 & our last match will be Oct. 21. Typically at our regular matches, we usually get 14-20 shooters & as I mentioned, there's always at least two relays so you can shoot more than one rifle.
            We have a nice 200 yd. walk-up range with 20 covered firing points. Sign-up usually starts at 9:00 and shooting starts at 10:00.

Comment

• ceresco
              • Oct 2009

.....and there are plenty of other clubs in the area that hold matches on a regular shedule: Grand Rapids, Mattawan, Muskegon, Lansing to name a few. Good Shooting. ..

Comment

• Digital_Chaos
                • Oct 2009

Now you have to make the drive to the National Matches. Its all the fun and more on steroids..

Comment

• Sigpros
                  • Apr 2017

Awesome. Didn't know there was any matches in KC. Might have to check it out sometime

Comment

• rubicon762
                    • Aug 2011

What a great report!
                    Glad you enjoyed it. Take a friend with you next time.

Like another mentioned, check out the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio someday.

See you there.
                    Camp Perry is not "a place for experts". It's a place to help YOU become an expert.
                    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.
                    Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler, USMC. He knew war and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. You can find it online.

Comment

Working...
                    X