Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 6.5 Swedish
    • Aug 2012

Oh, sure. Zediker might be wrong (he's right about a lot of stuff, though) and as I said I might be imagining it. I guess the best thing to do is to consult EricC about this question, and see if he has any empirical evidence one way or the other.

Comment

• lapriester
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by 6.5 Swedish View Post
      Zediker says not to use Varget in his book on the M-14, and he gives the same reloading advice for the M-1. Zediker says Varget's too harsh on the rifle. I've burned a couple of 8# jugs of it in my M-1, and maybe I'm just imagining it but I thought the hump on the op-rod showed a bit too much wear and switched to 4064.

If you want to get picky about powders, 4895 is probably it for a 150 and even a 168 grain projectile, but 4064 is just killer with the 175.

Lately I've been using 46.0 of 4064 for all my 150, 168, and 175 loads.
      No Varget? That's ridiculous rubbish. You should seek better advice and read better books. What is wear on the "hump of the op rod"? I'm not sure I know what the hump on the op rod is If you mean brass marks on the "hump??", those are normal and a part of the ejection cycle. If your talking about what I think you are when you say the hump, it normally hits the brass as it's ejected thus throwing most of the brass except the last round and those single loaded to 1 o'clock. Last rounds and single loaded go to close to 3 because the op rod/bolt locks back.

I will admit my best loads are with IMR 4064 and with your data (46-48gr). But, my long range loads are best with Varget.

For the OP, I have never been able to get IMR 4895 to shoot as accurate in any loading as I have IMR 4064 and the too harsh Varget Also IMR 4895 is one of the worse metering powders I've ever loaded besides IMR 4350 (for my commercial rifles). Varget and IMR 4064 beat 4895 hands down in the ease of accurate powder measurement.

Larry

Comment

• lapriester
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Mad_Gorilla View Post
        Of course, he has empirical evidence that Varget is too harsh, right? My M1 was flinging brass all over the place with 4895. First out in front of the bench, then way off to the right at 3 o'clock, then in my face, and so on. As soon as I switched to Varget, they all started landing in a nice neat pile at 4 o'clock about 4 feet away. Accuracy was tighter by half, and I wasn't getting any fliers that I didn't call myself. Superb stuff.
        4 o'clock is actually an odd place for a Garand to eject brass. Definately out of the ordinary. 90% eject brass at 1 o'clock and at 3 o'clock for the last round and single loaded rounds. I've never had or seen a Garand eject at 4 o'clock in a consistant manner and only a few on those last rounds and single loaded ones. Shooters next to you must hate you big time.

Please let me know how you got your rifle to do that. Throwing brass at the shooter next door can sometimes distract the other shooter and every point lost by him is a point gained by me. I need all the help I can get.

Larry

Comment

• Pappy
          • Oct 2009

4064, H4895, Varget/Reloader15. Everything I shoot is mostly 200 and under.

Comment

• Bromel
            • Jun 2010

I believe that IMR 4064 is better than IMR 4895, and this is why:

A 1.75-inch group using IMR 4064 in my Springfield service grade Garand

Hand load used for this target:
            HXP 70 & HXP 71 brass (once-fired)
            CCI #34 primer
            Nosler Custom Competition 155 grain bullet
            47.5 grains of IMR 4064
            COAL = 3.312"

Chronograph Data:
            Avg = 2,623
            Low = 2,553
            High = 2,700
            ES = 147.5
            SD = 41.42
            Last edited by Bromel; 08-17-2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• ceresco
              • Oct 2009

That ES is a bit disturbing. I used 45.9grs of 4064 with the Nosler 155gr for the 3-600 CMP sniper match. Results were good but I'm wondering if the 600 suffered from velocity variation now. May have to dust off the chronograph. There's always next year. Good Shooting.....

Comment

• canes7
                • Oct 2009

I've tried 4064, 4895, R-15 and Varget. I still have not settled on one. For me, I've found that 4064 give the best performace but since it's shaped like Lincoln Logs (and nearly as big) it won't meter well thru my Dillon very well. Varget and R-15 just didn't get it for me. So now I'm returning to experimenting with 4895.

I was told early on in my short reloading career that for heavier bullets use 4064, for lighter bullets use 4895.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Dan W.
                CMP GSM Master Instructor
                CMP HP Master
                DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics

Comment

• cranehunter
                  • Oct 2011

I won't offer any advice on which powder, but I would offer that you should try all of the 'Big Three' 4895, 4064, and Varget. See which one works the best for YOU and your gun. I've been loading for twenty plus years, and it took me five to ten of that to to learn not just load what I wanted and then act surprised that it didn't do what I wanted, but to actually take the time to work up several loads and let the evidence tell me what really works the best. The reloading should be as much fun as the shooting, otherwise you will look at it as a chore. The thrill is in the hunt, be it game, or that perfect load. Just my thoughts...

Comment

• Toymaker
                    • Nov 2010

I haven't had much luck with IMR 4064. Loads developed in the summer with IMR 4895 don't work well in winter, and visa versa. I've found H 4895 to be better year around and season to season. My best loads have been with VV N-150. Now I think I'll grab some Varget and give that a try.

Comment

• Bromel
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ceresco View Post
                      That ES is a bit disturbing.
                      I was also concerned about the large ES... until I took a close look at the group on my target. That load has continued to be very accurate for me on more than one occasion. It's performance that counts, right?

Comment

• ceresco
                        • Oct 2009

Right, but I am concerned mainly about the 600yd performance--where velocity variations do show up in vertical dispersion. Testing at 600yds, while not unavailable, is logistically difficult. Good Shooting.......

Comment

• Bromel
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ceresco View Post
                          Right, but I am concerned mainly about the 600yd performance--where velocity variations do show up in vertical dispersion. Testing at 600yds, while not unavailable, is logistically difficult. Good Shooting.......
                          What steps could I take to tweek my load further to reduce extreme spread?

Comment

• wesvb
                            • Aug 2010

Extreme spread is a consequnce of a large case with not much powder in it. Either shoot a bulky slow burning powder like 4350 or tilt the rifle up on every shot to settle the powder on the primer end of the case. Note: IMR4350 is considered to be too slow for the M1 and could damage an op-rod if an adjustable gas plug is not used.

Comment

• Mad_Gorilla
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                              4 o'clock is actually an odd place for a Garand to eject brass. Definately out of the ordinary. 90% eject brass at 1 o'clock and at 3 o'clock for the last round and single loaded rounds. I've never had or seen a Garand eject at 4 o'clock in a consistant manner and only a few on those last rounds and single loaded ones. Shooters next to you must hate you big time.

Please let me know how you got your rifle to do that. Throwing brass at the shooter next door can sometimes distract the other shooter and every point lost by him is a point gained by me. I need all the help I can get.

Larry
                              Honestly, I can't tell you why. All I ever did to the rifle was clean the stock in the dishwasher when I first got it, and replace all the springs with an Orion kit.

The only load I shoot in it now is 46 Varget, CCI-34, and 168 Hornady BTHP. I didn't notice the ejection pattern at first, though. The 100 yd. line at my range has a poured concrete floor where the benches sit, so empties bounce all over the place. The 200 yd line, however, has a pea gravel base, so the empties hit and stop dead in their tracks. I was surprised and pleased that they made a nice pile. They don't bother the other shooters as they're behind and to my right enough that they're out of everybody's way.

I've read that ejection can be anywhere from 1 to 5 and that's normal. I'm sure it has something to do with op rod velocity and the gas pressure curve, but I don't pretend to be able to explain it beyond that.

Comment

• Dollar Bill
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Bromel View Post
                                What steps could I take to tweek my load further to reduce extreme spread?
                                High ES can be attributed to a number of reasons, mainly inconsistant ignition, from my experience. You're using a hot primer, CCI 34s, so I'd make sure primer pockets are a uniform depth and primers are fully seated. Make sure the firing pin is in good shape and not over-oiled or clogged with gunk. Good hammer spring (a new Orion spring is cheap insurance). Minimum case resizing so you're not setting the shoulder back too much (lost firing pin energy driving the case forward).

I don't believe powder position will have any consequences here. Even with 4350, you should be getting 90% case fill, and you're using 4064 so you should be fine.

Low ES is desireable, the lower the better but results on target are what counts. The two out-of-group shots on your target could just as well be sighting errors or a wind switch. As ceresco points out, it's longer ranges that will show if it's truly a problem.
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X