View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 AM

A 91/30 was my first C&R rifle. It came with everything when they were sold with slings, bayonets, ammo pouches, tool kits, and oilers. True, they are crude compared to Enfields or Mausers, but with some time, experimentation and patience they can be a lot of fun. I have a $99 forced-matched 1942 Izhevsk that can ring steel with irons at 500 yards with Wolf black box 149gr. Raises eyebrows at the range and draws interest. Probably my best $99 firearms purchase ever.

I bought several 91/30s, M44s, and M38s when they were still cheap and plentiful because I believed the supply would dry up one day and they'd become sought after. I didn't foresee events in the Ukraine being the main cause, but then it happened. Now some of the same people claiming they would never own a "peasant" rifle are asking me to sell them one. Prices have climbed X3 or X4, depending on model. The later Molot exports are really nice compared to the earlier Century guns, and they don't have the huge Century dot-matrix billboard.

Polaris
has given some solid advice in his post. If it shoots high some wire insulation or heat shrink over the front sight post can be trimmed to size. Experiment with ammo- 149, 174 or 203gr. You typically find one it likes best, then buy in bulk. I have a really nice all matching 1933 hex Tula (including matching bayonet) that shoots 6"-8" high with anything other than 203gr.

Sticky bolt syndrome often goes away with use, but make sure the rifle is truly clean and cosmoline free. Initially you might need to convince the bolt to unlock after 20 or 30 rounds. We used to bring a rubber mallet to the range with us to give a non cooperative bolt a little whack. People thought we were crazy. Good times!

The carbines are fun. Loud. Fireball! Every one I've cleaned up and put into service has been pretty darn accurate out of the box with the slightest of sight adjustments. M44s need the bayonet extended when shooting- barrel harmonics as it was explained to me, and it does make a huge difference in accuracy.

Recoil can be brutal if you aren't prepared. I woke up many Monday mornings with "Mosin shoulder" (as we called it)- a big bruise- until I learned to pull the rifle in tight and get a solid cheek weld. Let your body absorb the kick.

Above all, enjoy!