View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM

Paper, lighten up!
A comparison of tags versus Friday's measurements using your tool, the stores tools or whatever may be entertaining, but it has no bearing on your conclusion that the CMP tools are worn in the armory, which is a different facility entirely. I have seen many armorers measure and mark tags, as well as doing so myself when working as a volunteer. I have seen much variation in technique. That is not a complaint or a criticism, it's simply an observation. As others have said, some armorers are particular with this detail, others are not. Finally, the tools are marked in whole numbers, but some armorers guestimate the ".5" while others use only whole numbers. That alone will account for much of the "I gauged a 1.5 but the tag said 2" issues. These, along with standard tooling variances are the actual reasons I have personally observed that cause the tags to often reflect higher than actual, and rarely reflect lower than actual readings. I have seen on many forums (but do not know it to be a fact as I have not measured) that some brands of ME/TE gauges are known to be high, or low, so I'm sure that will also account for variances.
If you have seen some worn CMP gauges in use in the armory, or have knowledge of such, I may change my opinion, until then I believe it is not professional to state that CMP uses worn ME/TE gauges without something else to back such a conclusion. Especially when there are so many other reasons to explain these variances.
Assuming CMP continues operation as in the past, we will most likely continue to see ME/TE readings that benefit the purchaser, but for the many reasons I and others have listed. As it should be with CMP's operating philosophy. Do we really want them to start inspecting the ME/TE gauges and spending additional time processing the rifles in order to ensure a 99.99% accurate ME/TE reading because of an unsubstantiated rumor, especially when the end result is always n the favor of us, the customers?

The armorers use many expensive, specialized and quality tools and gauges and treat and store them just like any other professional organization. Given the additional fact that they stock new ME/TE gauges for sale, why would we think they would continue to use a worn out $30 gauge.
I have nothing to prove, I'm sure you measure ME/TE quite adequately. I simply think there are many reasons why ME/TE readings vary, and worn tools is simply far down the list. If you have information to the contrary, please share. I simply wish to perpetuate accurate information, not rumors.
Respectfully,
John H