View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenoman View Post
i beg to differ regarding the cmp armorers using worn gauges. Armorers measure the te/me in order to grade the rifles, and as a higher number generally denotes a lower grade, will err on the side of caution. A bit of grease, not inserting the gauge 2-3 times with a small twist will all cause differing readings. But the end result is of no real difference on most of the non-collector grades. More importantly, while i suspect most tools wear over time/use, i thunk the amount of wear on a tool grade steel me or te gauge is much less of a factor than user technique, temperature variations or most importantly, differences from tool to tool/brand.
We all know cmp grading is what, 99.999% generous. I suspect there is not much pressure on the armorers to spend more time on te/me to get a lower number.
Even if we assume the cmp gauges are 100% accurate and each measurement is qc checked, temperature stabilized and 99.9% scientifically accurate, then cmp would be flooded with complaints like "my rifle gauges .5 worse, i need a new barrel..." because of someones borrowed, incorrect or damaged gauge or "calibrated bullet".

I'd suspect standard cmp "err on the side of the customer" standard operating procedure over worn gauges.
Jh
what he said....:gs:

~qs~