View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
In WW1 Ordnance realized the output of the government arsenals would be inadequate to meet the demand for rifles. One alternative they considered was equipping a private manufacturer to make the M1903. However they realized that the time it would take to build all of the specialized tooling, gages and fixtures would add many months possibly years of delay.
By a happy accident the Winchester, Remington and Eddystone plants which had been created for the British Pattern 14 Contracts were available. All that was necessary was a relatively minor conversion of the P14 rifle to allow it to use the Rimless .30 Caliber US cartridge and the M1917 was born.
As I recall, Remington and Winchester informed Army Ordnance that no less than two years would be required to tool up and manufacture the M1903 rifle.

And forgive me for laughing when I read your statement that "All that was necessary...." But once Army Ordnance got involved, it wasn't that simple anymore. The P'14's did not have interchangeable parts. Army Ordnance, therefore, expended several precious months making detailed engineering drawings for the M1917 rifle and getting them accepted; meanwhile, soldiers drilled with brooms.

J.B.