Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snuffy1a
    • May 2012

Thanks, I thought that might be the answer.. I'm close enough to the north store that I might take a run up there.

Comment

• snuffy1a
      • May 2012

I decided to order one from Dupage just to see if I could recover one. Should be interesting..

Comment

• Carriec
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by lemmonhead View Post
        I have recovered a couple. I got two drill rifles this week.
        The barrel welds on these ones are a little larger than the ones in the past. That being said the weld is 80% on the barrel. The cutoffs were not to bad.
        Both of the rifles had 9-43 barrels. One measured a .5 and the other measured just below .5 at the muzzle.

Here are a few pictures of the welds. I have removed the cutoffs and started cleaning up the welds.

https://imgur.com/a/bniyH
        How's that barrel weld working out lemmonhead? Mine is pretty heavy. Planning on sending it out as I have no lathe.

Comment

• navyrifleman
          • Oct 2009

Converting a drill rifle to an operable rifle should be done with consideration as to what welding might have done to the metal of the receiver and also the bolt. Depending on the amount and location of the welds.
          I purchased some drill rifles (without stocks) from CMP a few years back. There were welds at the cutoff, bottom of the receiver where the barrel connected, in the barrel under the stock to hold a steel rod placed in the chamber, and on the bolt face. Also, the striker was ground down.

Converting one to an operable rifle involved removing and discarding the barrel and replacing it with a new one, cleaning out the cutoff slot and replacing the cut off and pin which holds it, and discarding the bolt and striker and replacing them with new or serviceable bolt parts which head spaced properly.

While I suppose one might be able to drill out and grind down the weld on a drill rifle bolt, I would suggest not doing this for fear of metal failure in this critical area.

Comment

• lemmonhead
            • May 2010

Originally posted by Carriec View Post
            How's that barrel weld working out lemmonhead? Mine is pretty heavy. Planning on sending it out as I have no lathe.
            I am waiting on a friend to use his lathe. I am hesitant to start filing down the weld too much as I don't want to dig into the receiver face. I don't have a safety file, I need to invest in one. I have cleaned up the cut off welds already. If you haven't already looked; the RayVin has a good tutorial on drill rifle recovery. http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/firea...drillrifle.htm

I decided to order a White Oak 1903 barrel. If you call them you may see if there are any discounts. Still more than a Criterion but I am curious as to how this will shoot and hold up.

Originally posted by navyrifleman View Post
            While I suppose one might be able to drill out and grind down the weld on a drill rifle bolt, I would suggest not doing this for fear of metal failure in this critical area.
            chuckindenver has said that he has tried to grind down the weld on the bolt face and drill a new hole. A couple problems that he said he encountered were the weld bled through the original hole and is very difficult to remove completely so there will be a bur on the backside of the bolt face. Also he said it is difficult to get the hole in the exact correct spot and the correct size. Any oversize of the striker hole will allow the primer to flow back into the hole and could cause problems. In short it is not worth it to mess around with the bolt. Especially when replacement bolts are still plentiful and relatively cheap.
            Last edited by lemmonhead; 12-02-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• broomhandle
              • Feb 2016

Hi Fellows,

I have recovered two drill rifles. Both shoot very well!

I bought (2) new old stock(correct to the rifle) bolts.The cost is not much as you know! I did try to grind & drill out the welded bolt hole anyway. The stainless steel weld made the bolt face VERY hard.
              On one bolt, the face of the bolt chipped out badly. As I tried to drill through the cleared flush weld from the back!
              I did not think using the welded bolt's were worth the definite high pressure safety risk.

Good Luck,
              broom

Comment

• snuffy1a
                • May 2012

My drill rifle from Dupages arrived a couple of days ago and the welds are just as described. The cutoff wasn't bad at all but the barrel removal is turning into a real chore. I still can't get it off. The stock is in wonderful shape with all the proper cartouches and I'm ordering a bolt body. If nothing else the rifle is worth it in parts alone.

Comment

• ceresco
                  • Oct 2009

NIW bolts are very inexpensive. Recovered bolts often develop stellate cracks around the firing pin hole. I remove the drill barrels by first making a 360 degree relief cut (very close to the receiver face) with a cut off saw, place the receiver in a good (big) bench vise, use two pipe wrenches across from each other on the barrel, one quick snap and the barrel comes off. Use a flat file to clean up the receiver and you are done. Never needed my lathe. Good Shooting. ...

Comment

• snuffy1a
                    • May 2012

I appreciate the input on barrel removal. While I have made a deep cut at the spot weld, the action continues to turn in my bench vise no matter how tight I close the jaws. i'll just keep trying. I'm thinking my bench vise is just too small.

Comment

• ceresco
                      • Oct 2009

You must make the relief cut 360 degrees and very close to the receiver face. Use cardboard or a thin wood pad for the big flat on the bottom of the receiver and a lead or hardwood block for the top. The vise must be tight. Good Shooting. ...

Comment

• lemmonhead
                        • May 2010

With a relief cut the barrel comes off pretty easy.
                        When placing the barrel in a vise, make sure the barrel is in the center of the jaws. I rotated my vise about 60 degrees counter clockwise and placed the barrel in the center of the jaws with the mid part of the barre resting up against the vise. The barrel come off without much force.
                        If you don't have a mill or lathe then use a safety file to remove the weld as much as possible without getting into the receiver face.

Comment

• Nodakdad
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by snuffy1a View Post
                          My drill rifle from Dupages arrived a couple of days ago and the welds are just as described. The cutoff wasn't bad at all but the barrel removal is turning into a real chore. I still can't get it off. The stock is in wonderful shape with all the proper cartouches and I'm ordering a bolt body. If nothing else the rifle is worth it in parts alone.
                          Been fighting the urge to order one, you have any pictures?
                          25+ transactions, 100% Positive Itrader rating,
                          Until the dark day it was turned off

Josh

Comment

• snuffy1a
                            • May 2012

lemonhead's pictures are pretty close to actual welds used. My spot welds weren't quite as heavy, but in the same spot. You WILL need a replacement bolt body and firing pin tip, which can be bought fairly cheaply. I also purchased a cut-off since I cut mine when removing it. Also very cheap to buy. The rifle stock was very good and front blade perfect. I purchased mine just to see if I could restore it to operating conditions.

Comment

• Nodakdad
                              • Jan 2012

I picked up a drill 03 from Liberty Tree Collectors earlier this year. It was a bit rougher than what I've seen the Dupage ones. I got it back into firing condition, found some NOS parts, got a correct date NOS barrel for it as well. Fun project, first time I reamed a barrel so it was a learning project.
                              25+ transactions, 100% Positive Itrader rating,
                              Until the dark day it was turned off

Josh

Comment

• Keller
                                • Jul 2010

I got mine from Dupage the other day, a Remington. Unfortunately my cutoff weld was up in the corner similar to the “worst” picture on the Dupage site but much smaller weld. Not too bad but it affected the ejector screw and am strggling with that. Came with a scant stock with AAG markings, but that is it. Kind of rough shape. Not complaining, just stating facts. For $200, you sometimes get what you pay for. My Dremmel tool went belly up so a new one will here tomorrow so the cutting begins this weekend.

Not doubting the experience of those that have done this already, but what does the relief cut buy you in the barrel removal?

Comment

Working...
                                X