View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 10:41 AM

Default The Cart

More gear....

I am pleased to see that his thread has the most views. It proves to me that many of you on this forum are interested in the opinions of and old Jar-head DR. It's been a couple of weeks since my last post so lets dive back in with a subject that I have a lot to say about.

Under organization, we have the cart.......

This is my cart. It is a Schneller . It is always stored ready to go to the range. It has everything I need and nothing I don't.
The cart is the center of your organization while at the range. What ever your organization is, you will never advance without a being organized. You need what you need, and you need it where you need it, at the time you need it.
I often see shooters that think they need more than they do, so their organization looks more like the pioneers going west with the wagon train, instead of down to the 200 yard line. They have ammo for rifles they didn't bring, tool boxes, cleaning gear, and even rifles they aren't shooting that day. Their organization is a wagon, their home away from home.
When it comes time to shoot, they have to leave it all behind the ready line. They use up all of their prep time shuttling back and forth to get stuff they had forgotten, or couldn't carry on the first trip. I rarely see these shooters getting medals because their organization or lack of it has them stuck in perpetual noob status.

While it may seem prudent to have a wagon, a primary hauler of too much stuff, I want you avoid this pitfall in favor of efficiency, and organization. A rolling cart/stool is the way to go. It has taken me several years to get my cart to the state you see it in this picture.

From top to bottom let me tell you about it.
1. The first thing you will notice is that it carries my scope stand with the scope attached. The scope stand serves to pull/push, and steer the cart. I can walk with everything I have down a gravel road and have a free hand to greet friends, and drink a cup of coffee without loosing anything. The next thing you will notice is a folding chair. I'm a big guy, and I need a big chair. While you could sit on your cart for scoring, I don't recommend it. If you break it, you will have a bad day. Unless your cart is made of bar stock like the Creedmoor "Big Blue" don't sit on it. Get a good comfortable chair.

2. Next is a feature I love about my Schneller. The fold up table with clip board. It holds a databook, score cards, ammo box, and a countdown timer. I find it to be indispensable for standing slowfire. I put a strip of wood on it for a fence to keep any loose items from rolling off, and a pen on a string. Write your NRA, and CMP numbers on the top with a big sharpie. The back side when not deployed is perfect for the many stickers you get.
Next you will notice another string with a sweat rag tied to it. This simple addition to the cart is worth at least ten points in standing to me. You get pretty steamy wearing a coat in August, so you need to refresh, and refocus from time to time, and the sweat rag is just the trick to wipe off the rifle, your face, and glasses. I have one for standing and another rag on a string near the ground for prone.

3. On top of the stool you see my mat, and shooting coat secured for travel with a bungee. On the right side is a vertical rifle holder, and cleaning rod tube.

4. My cart has a deluxe Creedmoor bag. It has a large storage area with plenty of pockets with Velcro closures. The bag is primarily for brass, my glove, and two cartridge organizers for standing in .223, and 30/06. The side pockets are for data books, a magnifying glass, two M1 enblocks, and two good stripper clips. The front pouches have a lens cleaning kit, and a box that holds my Bob Jones "Harry Potter" shooting glasses.

5. On the bottom of the cart close to the ground is where it gets interesting. It is a flat piece of aluminum secured with hose clamps that spans across the front legs that accepts anything with ALICE clips.
Here I have a Ray-Vin smoker in a pouch that also has an asperin bottle of water, a small bottle of carbide, and my Ray-Vin 1903 sight micrometer.
Next is a large general use pouch that has a single shot SLED magazine, another countdown timer for use in prone, and sight adjustment tools for the K-31, and M1917.
Last but not least is two M-16 mag pouches. I have wadded up paper in the bottom of them to hold my magazines near the top. Use one pouch for 8 rounders, and another pouch for 2 rounders. Mark the two rounders with a white paster or piece of tape on both sides. There is no need to mark the 8 rounders, and it may cause confusion if you do. Always keep them loaded with two and eight, and keep them separated. This simple discipline will save time and confusion that serves to stay focused.

One of the great features of the Schneller is that the axle and wheels are moved rearward along bent tubing that places them behind the center of gravity unlike wheel kits that just attach to a cart's legs. This provides greater stability, room for a larger bag, and allows for another shelf that most use for a small lunch cooler.
I have a camel back pit bag for snacks and drinking water, so I use the shelf space for an ammo box. Always bring enough ammo for yourself and one other person. You may be able to help someone in a jam that needs a new friend to save the day.

That's my cart. I hope it gives you some good ideas on setting up your organization.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-31-2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Readability