X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orlando
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Tothemax View Post

There was also a couple IH guns. Both were in good shape but the tables wanted 1600 -1800 for them. OUCH!
    Depending on what they were that could have been a very good prices
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Comment

• relics
      • Jul 2011

Well this goes to show. A smart buyer needs to do there home work before buying.If i was in the market for another Garand.I would buy it on the sellers board here.Most likely a sane price and a nice rifle

Comment

• GotSnlB28
        • Oct 2010

There are only a couple of shows that I go to anymore, and even those haven't been worthwhile in some time. For the most part it is some combination of overpriced/junk.

A couple of years ago at one of the shows a guy was trying to sell his IHC for something like $1400-1600, only IHC part was the receiver. After assessing it I politely gave it back and told him I was going to pass. He asked why and I said I was going to wait to see if CMP would sell any. He didn't think that was likely. Yes, I'm glad I waited.

It is hilarious the stories people tell about M1 carbines they have for sale. I am polite but if every one I looked at was a "factory original" or "bring back" like they are sometimes portrayed I'd have a great collection Last year a guy was trying to pawn off a mixmaster Inland as original (for $1500) and then I asked him if it came from Inland without a slide stop installed? Or if that type 3 post-war barrel band on a mid-war gun was correct? etc. Factory original I was told.
        Some other show it was an "unfired Winchester", and it goes on...
        There is an entertainment factor to it all.

Comment

• Good Ol' Boy
          • Oct 2011

I was also at this show today. Just tons of Garands and Carbines. Most seemed directly from the CMP. Saw the unissued Garand, pretty cool. The only M1 I saw below $1000 was a cast receiver at $650. Carbines started at $900 and went up.

I'm pretty sure some people just want to show off what they have, no interest in selling. Walked out empty handed. As said before, be thankful for the CMP.

Originally posted by RVN 69-70 View Post
          I hit the gun show here in NOVA yesterday (day #1 of 3) and found quite a few tables with Garands, Carbines, few Krags, and assortment of European "stuff".

One guy (all the way from Florida) had probably five LONG tables of weapons and NOT ONE had a price tag in them...........NOTHING. He just sat in the middle talking to three other old guys. What puzzles me is HOW DOES HE EXPECT to even have someone make an offer? At least with the prices stated as $2500, $3000 etc (for what would be a CMP $1250) a 'buyer' has an idea of how ridiculous one is priced at. I didn't even ASK about the price of ANY of them.

I did see another table that had an 03A4 priced as $15000. I mean REALLY. There was one real nice UNISSUED HRA priced at $3800.....tin foiled sights and all in a nice glass display case.

Oh well.....it is what it is........sure glad CMP is still functioning.
          "Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "real Marines". "
          Major General Chesty Puller, USMC - while on a Battalion inspection.

Comment

• Army MSG
            • Jul 2012

The best chance at some gun shows seem to be when someone is carrying one for personal sale. I always carry my gauges with me just in case.

Comment

• howardhuge
              • Dec 2009

As the saying goes, you buy toys at a gunshow, and guns at a toy show about 10 years ago I went to the CLT auto show and parts swap to buy a new Radiator for my dads 1965 t bird.... found a NOS one and a long box next to it....opened it up and there was a as New Mk 4 Mod 2 Irish 1955 303 enfield... paid 165 for it and 400 for the Radiator..... good buy on both.

Comment

• Stretch32
                • Nov 2015

It is frustrating to go to a gun show looking for reasonably priced rifles and then having to deal with the BS that now seems to be commonplace.

The last few shows I've been to have had several Garands with the blue CMP hang tags still attached. Most of these, from the looks of it, are bought up by dealers who buy their 12 or 8 rifle limit and then resell them at a profit. Most of the rifles I looked at were service grade mix masters with starting prices of $1200 and up. Nothing special that I could see and not worth it at that price especially considering the fact the dealer probably bought them at $730 or less not that long ago. .

The best deals and reasonably priced Garands are either here on the forums or through private sales. I picked up a very nice O-66 rebuild via a private sale not too long ago for much less than the gun show mix masters mentioned above.

Stretch

Comment

• msharon
                  • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Sanlanman View Post
                  Its the same scene here down south too. Collector grade prices for run of the mill guns.
                  ...and in PA. Was in the market for a 1903A3 and hit one of the regular shows outside Philly. Nice to see some things in person but ended up getting a far better price on GB (yes, GB) for an S-C mixmaster whose non S-C parts will be easy to swap out. Garand prices were simply insane.

Forgot to add...was the first gun show I'd been to in a very long time and I was under the (short-lived) illusion that I'd find bargains.
                  Last edited by msharon; 02-11-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• jerryjeff
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2009

There are guys with such collections that they like to just show them off. The colt and smith and wesson displays are beautiful, but it's in some thin air.

Comment

• abeal
                      • Oct 2009

It really does not matter if you have reasonable prices or high prices, most people are not there to buy anything. It is just something to do in the winter for many people. Maybe the same is true for the sellers.

Comment

• Tothemax
                        • Sep 2016

I did talk to a buddy who has a small table from time to time. He mentioned he would do a walkthrough pre public opening and would find a gun or two he was interested in. He would watch that gun be sold/traded between vendors and by the end of the show it had doubled/tripled in price. Makes no sense to me...
                        Feedback Link

Haufskis Stock Wax link

Comment

• twien
                          • Jan 2014

The market sets the price. When CMP dries up, these junk Garands will look pretty good to people. Firearm collecting is now an expensive hobby and likely to get more expensive.

Gun shows only annoy me when people lie, fabricate stories, and hide problems to take advantage of the less informed.

I recently developed an urge to acquire a P38. I'm no expert on the P38 and don't want to be. I had no intentions of starting a collection of them. I wanted one honest, original pistol. I did a little homework on the internet, acted stupid with the seller. If the seller was consistent with my research, I gave them a thumbs up. A person that is really into them will volunteer all kinds of information and you can tell which ones love their hobby. Selling you a clunker would be insulting to them. That said, I still paid $50-75 too much for it (ha!).

Could one of the internal parts be a replacement or a repro, maybe? However, that requires a level of expertise that I have no intention of acquiring.

Comment

• Coltgrabber
                            • Jan 2015

Hey guys! Just some tips for those who go to gun shows: (1) Even though someone may have a ridiculous price on their M1, don't be afraid to negotiate. (2) Make an offer similar to what you see on this forum, ask if you can gauge it & take it apart, and I guarantee when you take it down and start gauging it, they will start dropping the price before you even get through! Most guys I know will put a price on a rifle with the mindset that regardless of what price they put on it, someone will always offer less, so they build in room to negotiate. They can always come down, but people look at you funny if you go up!
                            NRA Life Member
                            Ohio Valley Military Society Life Member
                            Retired LEO (Memphis Police/Inspector for Dept. Veterans Affairs, Office of Security & law Enforcement)
                            405th Air Police Sq., USAF
                            Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)

Comment

• i1afli
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by RVN 69-70 View Post

I did see another table that had an 03A4 priced as $15000.
                              I had to read that a couple of times before I picked up on the extra "0"...crazy.

Comment

• Bdgarand
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sanlanman View Post
                                Its the same scene here down south too. Collector grade prices for run of the mill guns.
                                Agreed! Gun shows in South Carolina have turned into over priced, high risk, rip off sessions.

A side note, I'm a member at Mid Carolina rifle club a great place to shoot if you haven't heard of it. It's in Gaston. Always looking to shoot with a fellow collector.

Comment

Working...
                                X