• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roman13
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by s11033 View Post
    Hey guys,

I talked to Criterion and they're open to making a custom production run for me! However, the minimum order is somewhat sizable, so I'm going to have to run the numbers on this proposal carefully.

I would have liked to order the barrels in some "lowest common denominator" chambering that I could ream up from, but it would be difficult to produce quality barrels that way due to the different tapers of these 6.5 cases. So I've decided that the best approach will be to just get them unchambered and chamber them to order.

I'm hoping they can make me a couple one-off custom barrels for prototyping prior to placing a full custom order.

Can't wait to get started building some prototypes!

Steve
    I'd be interested in a 6.5 Creedmoor Garand conversion. Once you run the numbers, and can share the projected cost of a Garand conversion, you can probably gauge the level of real interest.
    NRA Life Benefactor Member

Comment

• s11033
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by 7,62x51mm View Post
      Have you considered the 6,5/30-06 or as it became the 6,5-06 A-Square (no longer in business)

I used to load this many years ago and was excellent in bolt actions.
      Yes, but I think the action length would leave some to be desired in terms of COAL. I also personally wouldn't use these barrel-burner chamberings in a semi auto that is not known for sub-moa accuracy, but hey, the customer is always right!

Since the barrels will have to be ordered unchambered, I think I'll be able to offer custom chamberings as long as the buyer is willing to pay a premium to cover my reamer rental.

Steve

Originally posted by Roman13 View Post
      I'd be interested in a 6.5 Creedmoor Garand conversion. Once you run the numbers, and can share the projected cost of a Garand conversion, you can probably gauge the level of real interest.
      Will do. They have my formal quote and seemed interested, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Best,

Steve
      Last edited by Big_Red; 04-10-2018, 12:19 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Comment

• s11033
        • Oct 2013

Hey guys,

So I did some more work on the Garand conversion over the weekend, and the reason that nobody has made a 6.5 Swede conversion in any quantity suddenly bit me. A few weeks ago I discovered that if you load just 7 rounds in the clip rather than 8, you avoid the issues that others have encountered with the case head size. Today I realized why 7 rounds is a bad idea... It works fine and well when you're taking your time and loading the clips in carefully, but with only 7 rounds in the clip, it's possible to push the stack too far down. I almost gave myself M1 thumb for the first time as a result! So out goes the 6.5 Swede drop-in conversion idea...

Steve
        Last edited by s11033; 10-02-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• s11033
          • Oct 2013

Hey guys,

My project to build a couple dozen stripped Hakim receivers to Ljungman spec is coming to a close, and now I'm back at it on the 6.5 Garand project!

I figured out that I can make an easy modification to a bullet guide to prevent a clip loaded with 7 rounds from being over-inserted, thus avoiding my near encounter with Garand thumb. I'm thinking I can offer modified bullet guides for sale along with the barrels, and that way people can buy one if they plan to use any Swedish-spec ammo. Swedish-spec cases with .480" head can be loaded loaded 7 rounds to a clip using my bullet guide idea, and 30-06-based cases with .473" head can be run 8 to a clip and using the standard bullet guide.

Do we have any welders that are following the thread? I have a couple local guys, but the rates are pretty high here in Boston. I just need to weld a round pin to a bullet guide for testing, and then weld up a dozen or so if the first one works as intended.

Now that the clip issue appears to be resolved, I'm starting to plan an order for a run of 25 barrels from Criterion. There was interest in a variety of calibers including the 6.5 Swede, 260 Rem and even 6.5 Creed. How would you guys feel about the barrels coming rough reamed for 6.5 Creed instead of all being short-chambered for just one caliber? I'm worried that there might not be enough buyers for a single chambering, but a rough 6.5 Creed chamber can be cut to any of the three above. If you guys don't like the idea, I guess I could always just short-chamber them to order, but I'd have to have a certain number of orders for each chambering for it to make sense to buy reamers.

Looking forward to moving this project along!

Steve

Comment

• s11033
            • Oct 2013

Hey guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I finally got a manufacturer that will produce barrels for me at a good price without sacrificing quality. This manufacturer already makes 30-06 and .308 barrels, so they have the external contour down. They also said they will properly time the gas port.

I’m planning to do the first batch in .260 Rem to avoid any feeding complications. They’ll require an adjustable gas plug, but that should be about it. The first few would be $250 + shipping. I'd have to go up a bit after that to make any money on them. I'm not sure how much it would cost to be able to post a product for sale on the CMP forums. Any info would be appreciated.

6.5 Swede conversions are still in the works, but should be ready to go soon after these.

Steve
            Last edited by s11033; 12-11-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• s11033
              • Oct 2013

Hey guys,

It looks like a first run of barrels in 6.5x55 is going to be happening! The barrels will be made by Steve Satern at Satern Barrels. I'm hoping I can offer the complete conversion kit for $325-$350 shipped. This would include the short-chambered barrel, conversion of the customer's op-rod catch to a Holbrook Device, a Schuster adjustable gas plug, and rental of a pull-through reamer to headspace the barrel correctly.

The barrels by themselves would be $275 shipped.

Many of the barrels in the first run are already spoken for, but PM me with your email address if you'd like to get in on it!

Steve

Comment

• 6.5 Swedish
                • Aug 2012

Well, no one can accuse me of not liking the 6.5 Swedish. But I think you've correctly identified all the potential issues with a 6.5x55 Garand conversion. Were I in the market for a 6.5 Garand, I'd prefer .260 or 6.5-06 for the reasons you've enumerated.

As cool as that rifle might be, it would also be illegal for Service Rifle and JCG, which limits its desirability if you do a lot of that kind of shooting...

Comment

• Rotor
                  • Dec 2009

This just the kind on thread I was looking for. PM sent.

JR

Comment

• s11033
                    • Oct 2013

Hey guys,

It’s been a while, but the 6.5x55 test barrel is finally here! Here’s a teaser for you:

It looks like I should actually be able to load 8 rounds in an unmodified clip. I’ve found that about 75% of my clips work just fine. The ones that don’t must have slightly tighter dimensions due to the manufacturing tolerances. I’d rather just test my clips and designate certain ones for 6.5x55 use than deal with modified clips or a Holbrook device. Here’s a clip of 6.5x55 next to good ole 30-06.

So far, every bolt that I’ve tested has taken the .480” case head just fine. I think I’ve tested 5 or 6 bolts at this point.

I’m waiting on a pull-through reamer, and will have to figure out the gas port spec, but things are looking good! If anyone has rebarreled an M1 to a .264 caliber, I’d appreciate some input on gas port size.

Could someone with Quickload please provide a readout of what the port pressure would be with a 140gr HPBT over a few different powders? If someone can help me out with this, I can probably figure the right dimension out from there.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

• jjj0311
                      • Oct 2009

6.5 Garand

Sound interesting, hope to see a update on the project , any idea for reloading?
                      Semper Fi, Jim

Comment

• s11033
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by jjj0311 View Post
                        Sound interesting, hope to see a update on the project , any idea for reloading?
                        Semper Fi, Jim
                        The project was completed successfully! Here's a link to the new thread I started since the title of this one no longer applied.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=252211&page=3

Here's the rifle:
                        https://i.imgur.com/RyRfKIb.jpg

And here it is firing:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bG9HwmUIk

It runs very well. I have one clip that seems to cause a failure to feed on the second to last round, but my others all work well. There are a couple clips that are tight and require a good push to the rear of the op rod to load the first round. Older, more worn clips seem to work best.

Comment

• steelap
                          • Oct 2009

Haven't really been following this. Is the 6.5 Creedmoor conversion a dead issue?

Thanks.

Comment

• s11033
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by steelap View Post
                            Haven't really been following this. Is the 6.5 Creedmoor conversion a dead issue?

Thanks.
                            I chose the 6.5x55 over 6.5CM for a few reasons.

First, the CM is a short-action caliber with equal performance. It follows that it must operate at much higher pressures to achieve the same performance. It turns out the CM runs at about 62k PSI as opposed to the Swede's 51k PSI. This makes sense in a short action, because you simply can't fit the Swede. However, for a long action, you're giving up barrel life (due to higher throat erosion at higher pressures, all else equal) in exchange for nothing.

Second, the Garand beats the living crap out of my nice CM brass that I use in my bolt action precision rifle. If I had a huge amount of CM brass that's exceeded tolerances for my precision rifle, I'd be fine feeding it to the M1. But alas, I don't. Instead I use Swedish military (Berdan) primed brass, which cost me about as much as a boxer primer with no case.

Lastly, this:
                            https://imgur.com/a/Dc1oEuU

Having given you the reasons why 6.5x55 is better suited to the Garand, Criterion will probably make you a 6.5CM barrel if you call them.

Comment

• steelap
                              • Oct 2009

Thanks!

Comment

• milprileb
                                • Oct 2009

I would think 6.5x55 brass would be the long pole in the tent and 6.5 Creedmoor more available. Personally...I'd prefer 6.5x55 for this purpose if brass was not a issue.

I certainly have no issues with my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action performance at the 1000 yd line but.....I'd prefer a long action in 6.5x55 Swede caliber but I doubt I'd shoot more accurately with it over 6.5 Creedmoor...others here could I think.

For the Garand , I think 6.5 caliber is a real kick in the pants for accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X