X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasDan
    • Jan 2014

M1 bayonet

I'm guessing from the low-key description that this seller had no idea what he had ... then the price for this seemingly ordinary M1 bayonet rockets up to $585 !!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-US...vip=true&rt=nc
  • USMC-Nav
    • Oct 2009

Where is the added value at? I know little about bayonets other than the pointy end faces the enemy.

Comment

• TexasDan
      • Jan 2014

Into 1943, the standard Garand bayonet was the 16" blade M1905. During 1943 they decided that going forward, the blade should be 10". This became the "M1" bayonet.

Also in that decision was to remove the date stamp from the ricasso. The shorter blade and date removal changes happened almost at the same time. For most or all of the manufacturers, there was a small overlap period where several hundred (maybe less than a day's production) left the factory with the 10" blade and the date stamp.

These are quite rare. I picked up a mint condition OL example in 2016 by accident ... for $80. I sent pictures to Gary Cunningham, and he was quite interested. He didn't know what kind of price premium this would bring at the time. I guess we know now.

Dan

Comment

• Lt. Thompson
        • May 2015

Yaeh I saw this too - surprised it got that high quite frankly.

Originally posted by TexasDan View Post
        For most or all of the manufacturers, there was a small overlap period where several hundred (maybe less than a day's production) left the factory with the 10" blade and the date stamp.
        That I did not know. Will definitely keep an eye out on M1 dated bayonets in the future.
        Feedback

Comment

• skohler
          • Nov 2009

I have three of these 1943 dated OL bayonets. They were produced as 10" bayonets that were not cut down 16" versions.

One was a craigslist bayonet that neither one of us knew it was rare. Both the blade and scabbard are absolutely mint. The other 2 were CMP luck of the draw, one is greek black with numbers stamped on the guard and the other is smooth worn parkerizing with no greek numbers. The scabbards on these 2 were kind of rough.

After I found the craigslist one, I also had contacted Gary about this variant and he told me the same. I was just lucky with the CMP ones.

Comment

• slufstuff
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Carbine Fever
            UC's are one of the most common makers, and the modified markings are not that rare. IMO, somebody really, really over paid for this one.

Comment

• Kansas Poster
              • Jul 2010

Look at the bidding history. Something happened in the last few minutes to go over $1000.00. Maybe just two stupid guys that said I'm not loosing this one. Or a shill?

Bet the seller never sees that money.
              Operation Positive Attitude.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here https://forums.thecmp.org/forum/mark...oster-feedback

Comment

• TexasDan
                • Jan 2014

That is an $80 bayonet. Nothing rare or uncommon about it. Just a standard cut-down 1942 Utica M1905.

Some folks are either messing with it, or had a severe bout of the stupids.

Ah, I see just now that the same bayonet has been relisted - at $90 now... so probably someone messing with the bids.
                Last edited by TexasDan; 02-08-2018, 07:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                X