View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 AM

Page 251 of Hatcher's Notebook (1947) mentions a Le Boulongé chronograph.

The chronometer is a precision device to measure absolute time with reference to traceable standards. In the era of celestial navigation chronometers with precision movements were built as transfer standards and were periodically calibrated with solar and planetary observation and rated for drift. Consistent drift rate was more important than intrinsic accuracy. Later, electromechanical and piezoelectric standards were used finally culminating in atomic references directly driving chronometric movements. In other words, it's a clock.

The chronograph is a device to record time intervals. A chronograph usually has some form of relative chronometer or timer in it. This is not always the case, such as interval recorders using spark discharge to record motion or periodicity, but generally speaking some form of time interval logging is involved -- usually presented in the form of inverse period (velocity). In other words, a chronograph is a log.

Chronographs have been called chronographs since I can recall interest in them. I've never heard of a device with this specific function called anything else. Doesn't mean it hasn't, just that in almost 50 years I haven't heard it.

Is this important? Probably not. It's just words. With meaning.