View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog View Post
Not bad! I'm assuming that was taken through a window, because the duck didn't flee?
Not through a window. That was taken from about 15 feet away, outside on the patio. They are wild mallards but there is no threat to them here. Our back yard oasis is fenced in with a 6 foot high masonry fence and no dogs or cats to bother them. For the past 2 years we have had one female come that would come to right up to our patio door and follow my wife to the pan where she put cracked corn to feed them. I don't know if this is the same female this time. Two years ago that female had 5 babies here but the father must have been killed before she layed the normal amount of eggs. All of the babies died within 5 days of hatching. She was back last year and again came to the door. She came many times with another male but did not nest here that year. The ducks will approach to within a few feet of us if we don't move much but any sudden movements send them flying. If we get too close they move away. Last fall 8 or 9, male and female, would come each morning to feed on the corn and then leave after about an hour of swimming in the pond.