X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparx
    • Oct 2009

Powder for .45 ACP

Anyone here use AA2 for reloading .45 acp?

Currently I am using Win 231 5.6 grains with a 200 grain plated RN bullet, does very well but maybe there is something cleaner?

I occasionally used Bullseye with the same bullet.

I have read that the majority of pistol powders are on the dirty side so it is possible I am spinning my wheels here...

Sparx
  • Unclenick
    • Nov 2010

It depends on the nature of the dirt. Bullseye and other black or gray powders have graphite on them that gives them that color, and I can see graphite dust leaks around the grip panels and other parts of my 1911's when using them; Bullseye especially. I have found Hodgdon Universal to be cleaner as it has no graphite, but that doesn't mean you never get an unburned grain or other particulate or regular carbon from it. Just no graphite.

In your shoes I would give Universal a try. You can use that exact same load to start, as it is below the -10% starting load listed by Hodgdon. I've used it as low as about 4.6 grains with 200 grain target bullets and had no trouble cycling a standard 1911 with standard 16 lb recoil spring. Work the Universal up to about 6.0 grains, and at that point it should match velocity for the 5.6 grain 231/HP38 load you have now.
    --------------
    Nick

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
    CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Patron Member
    ORPA Life Member

Comment

• SA1942
      • Apr 2016

I agree with Unclenick to give Universal a try but I have loaded several thousand rounds with AA2 in 40 S&W with good results. Not as clean as Universal but meters extremely well and is very accurate. I switched to AA2 when I couldn't find Universal anywhere.

Comment

• reising
        • Nov 2011

I agree also about using the Universal powder. It is really clean burning.

Comment

• sparx
          • Oct 2009

Is this Universal Clays made by Hodgdon?
          Is it ball powder or flattened ball?
          TY for the comments.

sparx

Comment

• SA1942
            • Apr 2016

Yes universal clays and it’s made by Hodgdon. You do not want Clays. It’s super fast. It’s flake powder.

Comment

• bpm32
              • Sep 2010

The issue is double base versus single base powders—it has nothing to do with graphite, which all powders are coated with. In general a double base like Bullseye will burn dirtier, but be less temperature sensitive, than say, Clays or N310, which are single bases (no nitroglycerin).

Comment

• TheFlyingDutchman
                • Aug 2019

Titegroup or Universal. Not Clays!
                These two cover most weights and all the pistol calibers I reload.
                Last edited by TheFlyingDutchman; 10-20-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• navyrifleman
                  • Oct 2009

I have loaded Titegroup as well. It is listed for both cast lead and jacketed bullets.

Comment

• sparx
                    • Oct 2009

I have to say this is confusing.

Is this the stuff?

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...-clays/p/p6421

sparx

Comment

• SA1942
                      • Apr 2016

Yes that is the powder. Clays has a yellow label. Not what you want.

Comment

• SA1942
                        • Apr 2016

Not what you want. Tan and green label not yellow

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/hodgdon-clays/

Comment

• milprileb
                          • Oct 2009

Ain't nothing wrong with Unique, Red Dot, WW 231 (aka HP 38) powders. They have decades of success with 45 acp. If one can't get results with these 3, there is some fundamental problems going on.

Comment

• Unclenick
                            • Nov 2010

He's not having trouble with results; just wanting something that produces a little less fouling.

Hodgdon has three powders in the Clays line in descending order of burn rate:

Clays
                            International Clays (now labeled just "International", I think.
                            Universal Clays (the one I am suggesting).

For some reason, no pistol loads for International have been posted by Hodgdon. Perhaps they don't like its ignition uniformity when in a low loading density cartridge.

Originally posted by bpm32
                            The issue is double base versus single base powders—it has nothing to do with graphite, which all powders are coated with.
                            There are a number of graphite-free powders now. Varget was the first one I noticed on the market (yellowish grains) and the Clays line is another (tan flakes). Trail Boss is another.

The fouling issue is both about the base and the graphite. My 1911 picks up what I think of as carbon clay hard-packed into locking lugs and other recesses and it is the slightly oily carbon from the nitroglycerin contribution shooting Bullseye. If you leave the slide or frame soaking in Ed's Red for a month, it gradually flows to the bottom of the container. But the gas streaks that emerge from the grip panels are streaks that look silvery in reflected light just like lead pencil marks do, so they are clearly a graphite contribution. Ed's Red doesn't flow them anywhere.
                            Last edited by Unclenick; 10-18-2019, 01:29 PM.
                            --------------
                            Nick

Gunsite Orange Hat Family Member
                            CMP Certified GSM Master Instructor
                            NRA Certified Instructor
                            NRA Patron Member
                            ORPA Life Member

Comment

• sparx
                              • Oct 2009

Correct , I am not having a problem with 231, just wanted something cleaner.

This Universal is too confusing to change over to, for me not worth the trouble.
                              sparx

Comment

Working...
                              X