X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBR63
    • Mar 2013

North Store 03-A3

Went last Sunday and purchased this Remington 03-A3. I couldn't get there until just after 10am and there were two A3s remaining, both American Legion guns from the same post. Both were electro-penciled on the magazine cover and side of the receiver. The one I brought home is actually all original except for the scant stock according to JBs records. The cool factor to me is actually knowing where this rifle spent some time. I live in Ohio and the American Legion post is located in Bellefontaine, Ohio. I am currently in contact with them to gather any info they may have.

I am seriously considering turning this into an A4gery due to the great barrel and scant stock its already sitting in: the fact that it is electro-penciled weighs in on this decision as well.

Pics at the link below

https://imgur.com/a/x17XyT9
    Feedback http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....DBR63+feedback
  • gunny
    • Apr 2010

Semper Fi,
    Gunny
    RVN '66 - '68 1st Tank Bn
    USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Comment

• AngryDoug
      • Mar 2018

Sorry for the noob question: If this is from an American Legion post, is this a drill rifle?

Or is it a functioning rifle used for 21 gun salutes and such?

Comment

• gunny
        • Apr 2010

If it was a "drill" it would have been sold as a drill rifle. Looks ceremonial to me. Disassemble and inspect. Is the barrel tack welded to the receiver and a rod welded in the chamber? Pic doesn't show the "on/off" switch welded. Is the bolt face welded? If no welds, you should be good to go. How does the bore look? Lots of blanks being fired may have coroded it some.....
        Semper Fi,
        Gunny
        RVN '66 - '68 1st Tank Bn
        USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Comment

• DBR63
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by gunny View Post
          If it was a "drill" it would have been sold as a drill rifle. Looks ceremonial to me. Disassemble and inspect. Is the barrel tack welded to the receiver and a rod welded in the chamber? Pic doesn't show the "on/off" switch welded. Is the bolt face welded? If no welds, you should be good to go. How does the bore look? Lots of blanks being fired may have coroded it some.....
          Rifle is fully functional with a great bore and throat(ME = 1 TE=1.5) Original four groove RA barrel. No welds on this beauty.

Comment

• AngryDoug
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by DBR63 View Post
            Rifle is fully functional with a great bore and throat(ME = 1 TE=1.5) Original four groove RA barrel. No welds on this beauty.
            Great find! I envy you. Wanted badly to visit the North Store during Nationals, but just couldn't make it happen. Great to see they had some nice goodies after all.

What was the price for that rifle? Did I see in another post that it was about $700 out the door?

Comment

• DBR63
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by AngryDoug View Post
              Great find! I envy you. Wanted badly to visit the North Store during Nationals, but just couldn't make it happen. Great to see they had some nice goodies after all.

What was the price for that rifle? Did I see in another post that it was about $700 out the door?
              Yep. $716 and change in a tan CMP hardcase

Comment

• bandofM1
                • Feb 2013

Held that rifle put it back,bought one Friday before. You were allowed one bolt gun a day. Mine is correct,great readings 0.5 and 1. Nice rifle yours to!! Thanks CMP and great staff. I saw you buy it. Great VFW,D.A.V.Legion returns,probably returned for Garands.
                Last edited by bandofM1; 08-02-2018, 05:38 AM.

Comment

• extractr
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by bandofM1 View Post
                  Held that rifle put it back,bought one Friday before. You were allowed one bolt gun a day. Mine is correct,great readings 0.5 and 1. Nice rifle yours to!! Thanks CMP and great staff. I saw you buy it. Great VFW,D.A.V.Legion returns,probably returned for Garands.
                  is yours a post return also? Are most of the rifles you saw in about this condition?
                  Don't die a virgin. There will be terrorists waiting for you.

Comment

• bandofM1
                    • Feb 2013

Most are in service condition,some post did not clean them much and have dark bores. Some were taken better care of and have very nice bores and readings. Most have honest wear from years of honor guard work at ceremonys and blank firing. Mine is v.g. with honest wear and all Remington correct with no rebluid.Right as rain. %80-85 cond. With new barrel readings. Some were rehabs ,some not. A good solid rifle thanks to C.M.P. and great staff. Supply should run out soon only one pallet to sell.Maybe 75 rifles ,half gone already.
                    Last edited by bandofM1; 08-02-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• extractr
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by bandofM1 View Post
                      Most are in service condition,some post did not clean them much and have dark bores. Some were taken bettet care of and have very nicd bores and readys. Most have honest wear from years of honor guard work at ceremonys and blank firing. Mine is v.g. with honest wear and all Remington correct with no rebluid.Right as rain. %80-85 cond. With new barrel readings. Some were rehabs ,some not. A good solid rifle thanks to C.M.P. and great staff. Supply should run out soon only one pallet to sell.Maybe 75 rifles ,half gone already.
                      Any photos of yours?

Comment

• bandofM1
                        • Feb 2013

I do not post hosting sites. She is nice. Good greenish tint. Aged oringinal finish ,been there done that,honored many vets. GOD Bless there souls!

Comment

• bandofM1
                          • Feb 2013

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=32373

Comment

• hebes405
                            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by DBR63 View Post
                            Went last Sunday and purchased this Remington 03-A3. I couldn't get there until just after 10am and there were two A3s remaining, both American Legion guns from the same post. Both were electro-penciled on the magazine cover and side of the receiver. The one I brought home is actually all original except for the scant stock according to JBs records. The cool factor to me is actually knowing where this rifle spent some time. I live in Ohio and the American Legion post is located in Bellefontaine, Ohio. I am currently in contact with them to gather any info they may have.

I am seriously considering turning this into an A4gery due to the great barrel and scant stock its already sitting in: the fact that it is electro-penciled weighs in on this decision as well.

Pics at the link below

https://imgur.com/a/x17XyT9
                            Please do not drill that beautiful rifle!

Comment

• extractr
                              • Mar 2013

Decided to make a trip up. There were about 13 people by 6:30 and about 30+ at opening. There were 10 03-A3s, and all but one were gone about 10 seconds after the door opened. The one left was not in the best shape with more muzzle and bore wear, but still decent. It was only on the rack for a minute or two. Overall, most of the A3s I saw were very decent with good readings, a few with dark bores.
                              They still had the racks of M1's mentioned in the 7-31 report. There were a few of them that were sold.

They said tomorrow will probably be the last day for the A3s.

Here is the one I got. All Remington parts with some pretty wood on it. Readings were 1,1. It has what appears to be the original 7-43 barrel on it correct for date of manufacture.

Comment

Working...
                              X