X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slipkid42
    • Mar 2019

Winchester Victory 30-06 Garand Safe?

Is the Winchester Victory Series 30-06 ammo, safe for a Garand? I thought it was, but the latest issue of Guns & Ammo the author stated that it is not safe for use in a Garand.

Thanks!
  • Shomway
    • Apr 2012

I've not read a review on usage and don't understand the appeal, other than to put it on a shelf for display. At over $1+ per round there is cheaper Garand safe ammo with good performance data.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=2192542
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/sell...2-p-77539.aspx
    Last edited by Shomway; 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM.
    31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
    Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950

Comment

• packrat2
      • Sep 2012

Yes you are right the article states that Victory load is not appropriate for use in the M1 Garand, it has heavier charge of IMR ball powder than the GI ball M2 ammo.

The Victory .45 ammo is good to go in the 1911 but the M1 Carbine ammo is a little hot but the article says its appropriate for the propellants available today..
      I would buy a box of the .45 ammo just to have a box of the Victory ammo.

Comment

• cranehunter
        • Oct 2011

Winchester states that it is loaded to M2 specs.

Comment

• togor
          • Nov 2009

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...cket-flat-base

The box says "ball m2" and there's a picture of a Garand on the box so there's that.

Comment

• AWOhio
            • May 2010

I am not a reloader, so this is more a question than a statement.

The bullet weight is 150 grains, so that is on spec. The stated velocity is 2740, which is the spec for M2. And the packaging says that it is ball M2.

What does Guns and ammo cite as evidence that it is not Garand safe?

Comment

• slipkid42
              • Mar 2019

That is what is confusing to me as I thought it was M2 Ball for a Garand as well.

From the article:
              "The Victory Series Ball M2 ammunition was loaded with 55.8 grains of a Ball powder. This is a bit perplexing to me, as GI Ball M2 ammo was normally loaded with 49 to 50 grains of an extruded improved military rifle (IMR) propellant. The period Lake City ammunition I shot for the comparison to Winchester's Victory ammunition was loaded with 46.8 grains of an extruded IMR-appearing propellant. This is very important, as the M1 Garand was not designed to run on the heavy charges of slow propellants that modern .30-'06 sporting ammo is loaded with. Modern loads run six to 10 grains higher with charge weights of much slower propellant, causing a much higher load on the M1 Garand's long operating rod and risks over-driving the action. The Victory load is not appropriate for use in an M1 Garand."

Comment

• m1garand1055
                • Oct 2009

To start with who would shoot this ammo? It's commerative ammo to Celebrate the Victory of WWII. It will eventually be collectable. Maybe not in our time but future Generations.

Comment

• mnhusker
                  • Oct 2009

Gary James is usually very good with his vintage rifle articles but when I read this one on ammunition I was disappointed.

He did not go the distance and find out what powder Winchester is using for the Victory ammunition as this and not the amount is the critical issue for the "Garand safe issue".

If the powder is in the correct burn rate for the rifle (4064, H4895, etc) then all is well. If slower or faster then Gary is correct and the ammunition should be for other 30-06 applications.

Also surprised Winchester has not made this clear (or maybe they have and I just don't know it).

All the best.

Comment

• N8232J
                    • Feb 2018

Inept analysis by the journalist.

Commercial loaders use non canister grade powders unavailable to hand loaders.

They load to pressure and velocity and the actual powder and lot used changes frequently.

His conclusion is simply invalid.

Comment

• slipkid42
                      • Mar 2019

Directly from Winchester Customer Service.

Submission Date: 5/9/2019 3:36:47 PM

Question: Hello, I have a question on the 30-06 Victory Series ammunition. Is it loaded to safe level for M1 Garand? I have seen different opinions on this. Thank you

Answer:

This product was desinged for the use in the M1 Garand. It can also be used in any firearm chambered for .30-06 Springfield.

Comment

• horticattleman
                        • Nov 2009

I literally supplied them with Winchester Garands to develop and test this ammo so I can’t understand why it wouldn’t be safe to shoot.
                        Devil Dog until the end
                        NRA Life Member
                        NRA Instructor

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

Comment

• slipkid42
                          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by mnhusker View Post
                          Gary James is usually very good with his vintage rifle articles but when I read this one on ammunition I was disappointed.

He did not go the distance and find out what powder Winchester is using for the Victory ammunition as this and not the amount is the critical issue for the "Garand safe issue".

If the powder is in the correct burn rate for the rifle (4064, H4895, etc) then all is well. If slower or faster then Gary is correct and the ammunition should be for other 30-06 applications.

Also surprised Winchester has not made this clear (or maybe they have and I just don't know it).

All the best.
                          Dave Emary is the author of this article.

Comment

• N8232J
                            • Feb 2018

Originally posted by horticattleman View Post
                            I literally supplied them with Winchester Garands to develop and test this ammo so I can’t understand why it wouldn’t be safe to shoot.
                            Curious as to why that would be necessary.

I had Garand specific loads ready off my loading bench before my first CMP rifle arrived.

If I can do it with literally 30 minutes research how is this a challenge to the Winchester/Olin Cartridge Company with their endless ballistic resources, pressure trace guns, etc?
                            Last edited by N8232J; 05-09-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• horticattleman
                              • Nov 2009

Not sure. All I know is they contacted me and asked for Garands, carbines, and 1911’s (Colts of course) and gave a credit card number and said start sending them. So I did. I suspect it wasn’t really for development, but rather for show. I did see several magazine articles after the SHOT show for media day and all the magazines were ecstatic saying oh my they even are using real Winchester Garands.
                              Devil Dog until the end
                              NRA Life Member
                              NRA Instructor

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

Comment

Working...
                              X